Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Convicted lawyer's license reinstated

Monday, Sept. 23, 2013 8:53 PM
Last updated 11:22 PM

The Supreme Court has reinstated the law license of an Augusta attorney convicted of aggravated assault on a police officer and other charges.

Anson A. Adams was arrested on Oct. 13, 2006, and a Richmond County Superior Court jury convicted Adams in 2007 after hearing evidence that the former law clerk for two Superior Court judges was drunk when he tried to flee after hitting a car in a parking lot.

Adams was sentenced to three years in prison followed by three years probation. Because the sentence was imposed under the First Offender Act and Adams successfully completed his sentence in May 2012, no conviction is on his record.

Adams voluntarily agreed to a suspension of his license in 2007.

Comments (10)

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/24/13 - 06:24 am

Well, okay

This has nothing to do with whether he is a good lawyer or a bad one. Tired of people being punished in their profession for purely personal misconduct.

Watermedic
Watermedic 09/24/13 - 09:47 am

Really?

A lawyer who drives drunk, hits a car, leaves the scene and then tries to beat up the police officers that apprehend him is going to be allowed in the court room again?

Holy Crap!!

Something is seriously wrong with this picture...

Willow Bailey
20250
Willow Bailey 09/24/13 - 10:03 am

I'm going with you,

I'm going with you, Watermefic, on this one, sorry, Dixieman:)

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/24/13 - 10:07 am

Great news!! As I was getting

Great news!! As I was getting ready to start my day this morning, I was looking in the mirror while shaving, I thought to myself: If only there were just one more lawyer licensed to practice in the society, the world would be a much better place.

LocalLawyer
LocalLawyer 09/24/13 - 10:20 am

Let he who is without sin,

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone...
Don't know this lawyer, but they served their time, and I'm sure the Georgia Bar required them to attend AA and undergo psychological evaluation. Lesson (hopefully) learned.

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/24/13 - 11:06 am

LocalLawyer is right!

All of you without sin just keep throwing the rocks! I hope none of us that comment make the headlines but I guess we/those of you who are casting stones will have your turn in the arena.

First Offender Act means just that and this man seems to have followed the law, completed his obligation to the people and should be given another chance. Wish him luck in the reestablishment of his life. :)

longarm
longarm 09/24/13 - 11:21 am

Oh, come on...

The guy clearly made a bad mistake. He paid for it. It's over with. Should he be prevented from working ever again because of it? We're getting awfully close to "scarlet letter" territory here. While I've never done what Anson did, I've made plenty of mistakes. I'm glad that people saw fit to treat my mistakes with grace and mercy instead of giving me what I "deserved".

yasulh
yasulh 09/24/13 - 11:50 am

What if first offense was different?

What if his first offense was a different charge - say something like child molestation? Would you feel the same way? Aggravated assault is serious - and against a law enforcement officer to boot? I would not be allowed to return to my profession, even with first offender status. Why should he?

"A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he or she attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another or causes such injury purposely, knowingly, or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon. In all jurisdictions statutes punish such aggravated assaults as assault with intent to murder (or rob or kill or rape) and assault with a dangerous (or deadly) weapon more severely than "simple" assaults."
West's Encyclopedia of American Law, 2nd ed. (2008).

billcass
billcass 09/24/13 - 03:48 pm

Can't compare

yasulh, that is an invalid comparison. You can't say "what if it was a different charge?" It wasn't. Dealing with the charges he had, reinstatement is appropriate.

willie Lee
willie Lee 09/24/13 - 06:21 pm

Other Cases!

You all need to go on the Ga. Supreme court web page and read some of the disparate decisions made by our esteemed justices. Should I remind you of the lawyer with the young girl, nothing happened! And the attorney who allegedly tried to bribe public officials, nothing happened! And the attorney who gave his client cigarettes and was disbarred, only to have the police officers arrested who were providing contraband to the inmates receive first offender status and probation. It has been standard procedure for years for certain investigators and officers of the court to take cigarettes to those inmates who were going to be witnesses for the state. Adams paid more than what was appropriate and should have been allowed to return to his practice long ago.

zippy
zippy 09/25/13 - 06:04 am

I remember the case well, it

I remember the case well, it was heavily reported on at the time. The aggravated assault did not involve beating anyone. The officer positioned himself in the path of the car Adams was driving and felt as thought Adams did not slow down. The theory was that if the officer did not move he would have.been struck by the car. No actual injury occured. There was significant debate about whether it was truly an aggravated assault or just obstruction of a law enforcement officer because he did not stop the car. That debate was the reason the case went to trial.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/25/13 - 01:43 pm

Considering all the O.C.G.A. changes since 2007

I would like to see him have to retake the GA. Bar Exam, instead of just being handed his license back and to continuing his practice again.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...