Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Sheriff's nephews arrested on trafficking charges

Three men – including two relatives of Columbia County Sheriff Clay Whittle – were arrested on drug trafficking charges Friday and remained in the Richmond County jail Sunday afternoon.

Kenneth Adam Whittle, 25, of Augusta; Walter Taylor Hensley, 24, of Beaufort, S.C.; and James Derek Hurt, 26, of Augusta, are being held without bond on felony counts of trafficking marijuana, according to jail records.

Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris confirmed Whittle and Hensley are nephews of the sheriff.

According to jail records, the men were stopped on Interstate 20 near Bobby Jones Expressway on Friday morning. Other details, such as the quantity or nature of any drugs found during the arrests, were not immediately made public.

Darby
Darby 09/22/13 - 11:01 pm
Well,

isn't that special??

thauch12
thauch12 09/22/13 - 11:50 pm
Who cares?

This isn't newsworthy and belongs in drivel like the Jail Report.

willie Lee
willie Lee 09/23/13 - 04:17 am
Lets See!

Cops relatives arrested! Over 40 years in three states I've watched cops get paid off, lie, cheat, steal and do most anything they wanted to get what ever was necessary on their part. I'd bet the officer didn't know who the reletives were at the time or they would have walked. Lets see how they dismiss this one?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/23/13 - 04:56 am
We have this type of discussion several times a year.

In my opinion, I can't blame a person for what family does, unless they knew what family was doing, and did nothing about it.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/23/13 - 05:04 am
Remember the ongoing saga in Aiken County. For decades.

Remember the ongoing saga in Aiken County. For decades.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/23/13 - 05:18 am
What Is The Point

of connecting actions of "nephews" to the Sheriff of Columbia County.
Is someone trying to create another Paula Deen episode?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/23/13 - 05:48 am
Nothing big here

Treat them the same as others....

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/23/13 - 05:57 am
Can happen to any family

It can happen to any family. My condolences to the boys' mothers and other family members.

harley_52
harley_52 09/23/13 - 06:57 am
"It can happen to any family."

My goodness....what's become of Columbia County these days?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/23/13 - 07:02 am
Have to Admit...

When I saw the headline I have to admit I thought it was Sheriff Roundtree's nephews. But it did happen in Richmond County and none of them live in Columbia County. Heh.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/23/13 - 07:22 am
@Willie - You're Wrong on This One

Nope, this one will NOT get brushed under the rug. BTW: Augusta Chronicle, it was broadcast that there was 20 pounds of weed in the car. Which is also why this can't be swept under the rug. There is too much visibility. Now I can bet that the nephews will fall under the First Offender deal, if it is their first brush with the law. I'll bet that Clay has been heating up the phone lines on this one. Sad.

harley_52
harley_52 09/23/13 - 07:25 am
"But it did happen in Richmond County....

....and none of them live in Columbia County."

You mean except for their uncle....the Sheriff....of Columbia County.

It's an unfortunate result of the Federal and State Highway Systems that most Columbia County criminals are forced to travel on Richmond County roads to transport their dope and other contraband.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/23/13 - 07:42 am
Funny One Harley

Almost choked on my coffee when I read your post. Trust me - there are plenty of dope runners living and transporting in Richmond County. As I posted earlier, the quantity can't be covered up. I'm sure Clay has "lit up" a couple of phone lines since this broke.

bright idea
bright idea 09/23/13 - 08:42 am
Don't see Whitlle being stupid enough

I don't see Whittle being stupid enough to intervene with the judge. They are his adult nephews, not his minor child. Did he raise them would be the big question.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/23/13 - 08:57 am
I'm Sure

I'm sure that they all know what "Uncle Clay" does for a living. Mistakenly, they may think that Uncle will make it all go away, but he won't. He can't. Twenty pounds of weed will leave way too big a lump under the rug. We all will have to watch how this unfolds.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/23/13 - 09:19 am
20 pounds of weed is a LOT. I

20 pounds of weed is a LOT. I mean a WHOLE lot. If they were stopped at BJE/I-20, a police dog in the parking lot of the Walton Way jail could have smelled it from there. The only hope they have now is the reason why they were pulled over and what their lawyer can do about it. The article does not mention the reason for the stop.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/23/13 - 09:37 am
Bet he didn't...

"I'm sure Clay has "lit up" a couple of phone lines since this broke."

That kind of crap ended when Otis Hensley first won office from the good 'ol boy Democrats. Whittle is in the mold of Hensley.

And why is this a story anyway? Way back when Charles Larke's son was constantly in trouble, most of us said then that it was inappropriate to link the two. They are NEPHEWS... sheesh!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/23/13 - 09:41 am
GAD

Perfect example of why cameras should record every traffic stop. Hard evidence for the police to prove probable cause in cases like this; and hard evidence for the defendant when the cops are just fishing.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/23/13 - 09:43 am
Thought I read

That SLED notified Richmond Co.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/23/13 - 10:16 am
Columbia County Crime Wave

Harley, so Columbia County has a crime wave going on? You mean if a resident of Richmond County commits a crime in Richmond County, but is related to someone in Columbia County he becomes a "Columbia County criminal"?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/23/13 - 11:40 am
Likely to see more of this in

Likely to see more of this in COP's does ARC.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/23/13 - 11:54 am
@ Itsanotherday

You missed my point. I was not talking about Clay calling his "buddies". I was talking about Clay calling the parents of his nephews and "ringing their bell" ! I say parents, because I have not heard who belongs to whom. I'm assuming brother and sister.

poolmom
poolmom 09/23/13 - 01:29 pm
It doesn't matter if they

Ego556
Ego556 09/23/13 - 01:35 pm
you can count on this one

you can count on this one getting buried.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/23/13 - 02:00 pm
Umm.... no "8-er's, low life,

Umm.... no "8-er's, low life, thugs, scumbag, fruit does not fall too far from the tree, living on the 'guvment' teat" remarks today?
Good. Every....most families have some people that do not live up the code we would want.

Let's just remember this the next time some so freely whirl insulting comments about people in the news.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/23/13 - 02:05 pm
Ditto @poolmom

"It doesn't matter if they were related to the Sheriff or not. He is not responsible for their stupid actions!"

I could not agree more; but still I am going to save this just in case a relative of another local sheriff has a run-in with the law.

"Ctrl+S"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/23/13 - 03:53 pm
Just A Thought.

Is it just possible the Columbia Country has a sheriff that performs his duties above and beyond which is required with most sheriffs'.

Darby
Darby 09/23/13 - 09:04 pm
On a "relative" note.......

Did you see where Joe Biden's niece was on the verge of a breakdown because she can't handle the "pressure" of being the VP's niece?

She's gotta be kidding, right...??