Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man accused of shooting at ATVs

Friday, Sept. 13, 2013 4:03 PM
Last updated 10:08 PM

A 45-year-old Hephzibah man has been charged after firing shots at two men riding all-terrain vehicles and hitting one in the foot, police said.

According to an incident report, Travis McKenzie, 30, and Robbie Whisnant, 26, both of Hephzibah, were riding ATVs down a dirt driveway in the 1700 block of Brown Road about 5:30 p.m. Thurs­day when a burgundy Plymouth Voyager minivan cut them off at a fork in the road.

The men told police that the van’s driver, Todd Martin Fulmer, who lives on the road, got out and shot a .38 special handgun that hit McKenzie once in the foot. McKenzie was later taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center by ambulance.

Whisnant headed toward home but later found himself traveling behind Fulmer’s van, police said. He told police that Fulmer demanded he pull the ATV over.

When he refused, Fulmer fired the weapon, striking a rear ATV tire, the report stated.

Fulmer then forced Whis­nant into a ditch, hit him in the head with the weapon and threatened to shoot him, the report stated. Police said Fulmer thought the men were responsible for setting fire to his property.

Whisnant contacted police, who took Fulmer to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Of­fice for questioning. Fulmer was later booked into the county jail on charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/13/13 - 05:27 pm
As he should be...

"Fulmer was later booked into the county jail on charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime."

That was contrary to everything law abiding gun owners believe in. I hope he is convicted and never has the option of owning a gun again.

Remember though, you anti-gunners; he could have accomplished the same thing with any gun, not just a hand gun. For that matter, he could have run them down with the vehicle if he was intent on bodily harm.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/13/13 - 07:13 pm
BTW:

Even the South Side it seems has its share of Foot fetishist shooters.

YeCats
YeCats 09/13/13 - 10:34 pm
In conversation once,

I was told by a farm/land owner, "Anybody buying one of them 4 wheelers, ought to have to prove ownership of at least 10 acres!"

Nothing to do with this I'm sure, just made me remember it.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 09/14/13 - 04:28 am
I agree with the farmer.

I agree with the farmer. Illegal to ride on right of way. Illegal to ride on roads. Illegal to ride on other people's property without their permission, yet folks buy them for their kids all of the time and they live in subdivisions. Maybe confiscation will be the only way they'll get the message. So many people who gripe about other people committing crimes seem to think that laws like this and, more than any of them, speed limit laws don't apply to them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/14/13 - 05:39 am
Bod, well, yeah, but you

Bod, well, yeah, but you don't shoot them. Goodness.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/14/13 - 05:50 am
Ticking time bomb

Someone is ticking....

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/14/13 - 06:03 am
dta83 - IF you are the one?

IF you are the one?
Sorry you had to get shot.

IF you are the one?
Why are you IN the streets with an ATV?
You are old enough to know there is a law against it, correct?

IF you are the one?
I see your woman/G-friend also uses it to do corner store grocery shopping sometimes.

IF you are the one?
TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON.
I have flashed you more than once at dusk/evening on that camo colored ATV.

IF you are the one?
Remember it is not a golf cart in a 25mph residential community, Brown Rd is 45 mph. and some one can run over you before they see you.

IF you are the one?
MOST OF ALL, Why were you on PRIVATE PROPERTY to begin with?
That guy has already have someone try to torch his place once.

IF you are the one?
Your stunt, while not deserving of a gun shot to the leg, should at least result in a criminal trespass charges slap on you and the rider. Unless of course you were in fact up to some tom foolery then other charges also.

This is all of course ---- IF you are the one?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/14/13 - 06:29 am
To everyone

I like ATV's, but I have seen too many riders display a total disregard for the landowners property and not even bother to ask for permission.

The ATV riders tend to wear and erode the ground they ride on, causing ruts, washouts and general damages. This is what happens when watershed is destroyed.

My brother in-law has had to chase uninvited ATV users off his 44 ac. wooded property just off Old Waynesboro Rd. several times this summer.

In one case he returned home to find a pair tearing up a small hill jumping from it on to his dirt driveway. Their "playing" around later cost him a few loads of dirt and some grading when the summer rains came and washout that part of the driveway area where they killed all the watershed.

You may also remember a teen was killed several months ago illegally riding his ATV on private property. The landowner was fed up with ATV riders that had ruined the property. So the land owner placed a marked cable across the trial next to the NO TRESPASSING sign that the ATV riders had been ignoring.

The teen hit the 3ft high cable along his neck and died later at home.

So while I feel bad for both ATV riders and their families.

I also understand the "Stay the hell off my property" attitude of a growing number of land owners.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 09/14/13 - 06:38 am
Four Wheeler

maybe I wasn't suppose to be on the property, granted. Maybe? you know you were trespassing or not. If you lived to tell about it, you should count yourself lucky and spread the word to the rest of the morons that give 4 wheelers a bad name. I do not, like some of the liberals posting here feel sorry for anyone shot for commiting a crime.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/14/13 - 07:04 am
Guns are blasting at Pollard's Duck Ponds. Riverwood Plantation

Guns are blasting at Pollard's Duck Ponds. Riverwood Plantation

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/14/13 - 07:05 am
Sounds like another military drill at the DAM. Rapid gunfire!!!

Sounds like another military drill at the DAM. Rapid gunfir

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/14/13 - 07:06 am
Should we be desensitized to gun fire in Riverwood Plantation?

Should we be desensitized to gun fire in Riverwood Plantation?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/14/13 - 07:07 am
WOW

A real mixture of feelings on this one. Right and Wrongs on all.

One comment statement says it all.........our government is now in control....BUT....

""Stay the hell off my property"

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/14/13 - 07:07 am
CC. Residential or Gun Range? Operation Pollard Thunder.

CC. Residential or Gun Range? Operation Pollard Thunder.

historylover
historylover 09/14/13 - 07:23 am
Old Redneck Man

I haven't seen one comment where anyone - including the known liberals - say that they feel sorry for the guys getting shot at. Everyone agrees with you - why try to bring politics into an unusually open and good conversation? I just don't get it.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/14/13 - 07:41 am
Only in the South,,,,,

Only in the South,,,,,

griff6035
griff6035 09/14/13 - 08:01 am
ATV's and private property

I live on an unpaved road in Burke county and people that own land close to me allow kids to ride ATV's on this road. I do not mine as long as they just ride, but the problem is some of them want to do donuts over and over again. I have reported this to the Sheriff's dept, but it is hard to catch them in the act. This happens a lot during Deer season.

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/14/13 - 11:28 am
OK to have your gun and OK to threaten.

But to point and shoot; come on! This guy got what he deserved!

Nothing against ATVs but don't ride on our family's 70 acre place in Burke County. My brother-in-law and I have plenty of firearms! I like Cgee's comment: Stay the hell off of my property! And yes he has plenty of guns too!

September is Ovarian Cancer awareness month.

Know the symptoms of this deadly disease!

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 09/14/13 - 01:49 pm
Morons

So some of you inbreds think it's fine to shoot at someone for nothing more than trespassing?

I hear banjo music..........

shannonj86
shannonj86 09/14/13 - 04:54 pm
If you dont know what you are talking about keep your mouth SHUT

I know both the boys that were on the ATV's. They are both good guys.. the man that shot at them.. had no right.. I don't care what they were doing.. he still had no right to shoot at them PERIOD! He should of let the law handle it.. instead of taking matters into his own hand, that is why he was locked up.. and hope he gets charged with it also

AND dta83 - IF you are the one?

FYI His girlfriend .. is my sister... and i can promise you she has not drove that ATV on any road.. sooo you need to check your facts and get them straight before you speak....

These boys are not the only ones that ride the roads.. I see them all the time... everywhere.. you can't blame them for what others do.. I feel bad for the one that got shot... as should all of you.. HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF IT WAS YOUR FAMILY... AND DON'T SAY THEY WOULD NEVER RIDE ON THE ROADS, BECAUSE YOU WOULD BE LIEIN'

THIS IS ALL I HAVE TOO SAY... THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/14/13 - 06:52 pm
decided to cool down

and deleted the comment

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/14/13 - 07:05 pm
You might better speak with

You might better speak with your sister.

I just check with the Wife and she also remembers what I stated also. An I can tell you my wife is never wrong just ask her.

We both remember seeing the same color and type of ATV that was at the store the other night with the RCSO and plain Cloths Investigator around it @ 6:30pm. We also remember seeing it previously driving several times without headlights near dark and well after sunset. We both saw the women (bread and milk) on the ATV coming down Brown Rd. from the general direction of the stores on a ATV sometime after noon a few weeks or a month ago.

In defense of a few of people here.
Many said the shooting was over the top in one way or another. But then posed the question:

WHY were they there on an ATV to begin with?
Well WHY?

Also while you are "LMAO" be thankful his aim wasn't better instead of a foot it could have been a his "A"

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/15/13 - 01:45 pm
I think the law states that

I think the law states that you can pull a gun on people who trespass and tell them you are armed and fire warning shots, but also if the trespassers appear armed may also defend themselves. Sounds like the man was looking for bad guys who started a fire on his property and wasn't thinking logically or we haven't heard all the story. Had he called the police and did he fire warning shots and they didn't stop??? The story doesn't make sense that he would just shoot people. I gather he can still prosecute them for trespassing and maybe has evidence to link them to his fire? If I was involved in such an incident I wouldn't be commenting on an opinion page because this could fodder for lawyers against me too. hint, hint, hint.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/13/14 - 05:32 am
decided to add a little update

In the last 2 months I seen that ,dirty blonde/light brown haired female on a darker color Brown/green ATV again recently cutting thru the private lot next to Mrs B's on her way to the Dollar General in the same general areas there the shooting occurred back in Sept.

While shooting idiots trespassers is a little further than I would go, a lot of evidence points to someone who denied riding the ATV to the store as having done so and did it again after the shooting.

Knowing neither party in the this case personally or by sight.
I think it is clear there are some misstating facts.