Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Appling man charged with killing ex-wife's dog

Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2013 6:27 PM
Last updated 8:22 PM

An Appling man was charged Tuesday with killing his ex-wife’s dog.

Charles C. Jones, 45, was charged with cruelty to animals.   SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Charles C. Jones, 45, was charged with cruelty to animals.

Charles C. Jones, 45, of Rance Perry Road, was arrested after not showing up for an 11 a.m. interview scheduled with a Columbia County sheriff’s investigator, according to sheriff’s Maj. Rick Whitaker. Jones was charged with cruelty to animals.

Jones’ ex-wife called authorities after getting a phone call from her 12-year-old son, who was visiting his father’s Appling home, late on Sept. 1. The Augusta woman told the deputy that her son said Jones was extremely rough with her Boston terrier and threw it outside, according to a sheriff’s office incident report.

The boy told his mother that Jones was angry because the dog urinated on the carpet in Jones’ home, Whitaker said. The boy said Jones roughly rubbed the dog’s nose in the urine, causing its eyes to bulge. Jones then threw the dog outside by its hind leg.

The woman said that when she arrived, they initially couldn’t find the dog, but later discovered it dead in the front yard. Columbia County Animal Services took the body to a Grovetown veterinarian for a necropsy, which determined the dog died from trauma, including a fractured vertebra from excessive force, Whitaker said.

Jones told deputies that he did rub the dog’s nose in the urine and threw it outside, but denied being rough, according to the report. He said he put the dog outside because it bit him, according to the report. The woman said the dog has never been aggressive and would bite only if it were being hurt.

Jones was being held in the Columbia County Detention Center on Tuesday night on a $1,600 bond, Whitaker said.

Dixieman
20191
Dixieman 09/10/13 - 08:35 pm
Don't do this

Dogmestic violence is never a good idea, whether in the context of dogvorce or not.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 09/10/13 - 09:57 pm
Dogmatic Fever

Even though the dog did not bite him where the sun doesn't shine his ex dealing with Dogmatic Stress Dogorder will surely bite his hind.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/10/13 - 10:37 pm
Nobody messes with my dog!!

Nobody messes with my dog!!

Young Fred
Young Fred 09/11/13 - 02:02 am
Lot of assuming going on

Lot of assuming going on here.

KSL
KSL 09/11/13 - 03:34 am
Why was the dog on the visit?

Why was the dog on the visit? I understand why the son was, but her dog, why?

KSL
KSL 09/11/13 - 03:36 am
At any rate, I would not want

At any rate, I would not want a son of mine on unsupervised visits with this cretin.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/11/13 - 07:23 am
During a divorce or after

During a divorce or even after,
NEVER have direct contact with the other.
Get the kids in a public place for visits.
It seem EX-'s now have too many Soap Operas and Drama TV
revenge ideas popping into heir heads.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/11/13 - 08:20 am
Hopefully Two Things Will Happen

The Judge punishes this idiot, to the fullest extent of the law, which unfortunately is not much. AND, his ex-wife takes him for another ride around the block, and cleans him out. Probably the son took the dog with him for the visit. I'm sure Mom did not think her ex would be this stupid. We need to find a long, dark flight of stairs, for the "man" to visit.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/11/13 - 08:45 am
The courts should take this

The courts should take this very seriously. There's a correlation between animal cruelty and hurting people. His behavior needs serious consequences.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/11/13 - 08:55 am
As I Have Said in the Past

Abuse, be it child, elder, or animal should be taken up to Capital Offense level.

David Parker
David Parker 09/11/13 - 09:10 am
Those little pooches are

Those little pooches are about fragile anyway. Condolences to the owners for their loss.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/11/13 - 10:00 am
In all fairness

IF he did this with the clear intend of harming the dog, he needs to dig a hole for himself. But in all too many Ex vs Ex situations the truth usually lays somewhere in the middle.

Since I was a child we have always rubbed the dogs nose in their mistake then open the door an put the dog out to think about it. Never tossed one never threw one but it when outside.

jimmymac
jimmymac 09/11/13 - 10:53 am
DOG ABUSE

The injuries don't lie. Broken back doesn't happen without rough treatment and I agree with Willow. Shame on the person that tries to hurt my dog.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/11/13 - 11:03 am
I don't see how you can even

I don't see how you can even hint blame towards her nocnoc, since she was not present . Her son was though and he knows the truth. Whether he can withstand what it would take to go against his father is another matter.

Divorces like marriages can get nasty, but breaking the dogs back is a prelude to breaking hers or the children's.

itsanotherday1
52065
itsanotherday1 09/11/13 - 11:56 am
On a tangent

I was raised to believe that no animal's life is worth a human's. None of this pig=dog=mouse=child baloney. But as I've grown older, I have to admit that I value my dogs more than many of the cretins walking among us.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/11/13 - 01:06 pm
Still, it's a dog

and while cruelty should be punished, it's entirely possible it was an act born of stupidity and carelessness rather than anything more malevolent. And Boston terriers eye bulge anyway.

If the son was real attached to that dog or angry at his dad, I might be somewhat circumspect in my assessment of his perception of the event.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/11/13 - 02:32 pm
The bottom line is the dog

The bottom line is the dog is dead from blunt force trauma. Dead is dead , doesn't make one whit who is angry, just WHO did it.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/11/13 - 02:54 pm
Intent is relevant, however,

and that is easily misrepresented by someone with an axe to grind. It can mean the difference between a fine and prison time, which makes it important to get it right.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/11/13 - 03:06 pm
We must be reading different

We must be reading different stories. There were only two present during the incident, daddy and son. Daddy admitted to it after standing up CC for the interview. Doggone, mean and stupid.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/11/13 - 03:25 pm
I, personally

would have shot jones, dead.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/11/13 - 04:46 pm
Same story, more experience with stupid people

unintentionally causing harm.

Think what you want. I'll hold off on ascribing intent until I read he said he meant to kill the pooch. Then I'll go all anthropomorphic on him as well.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/11/13 - 06:48 pm
Willow Bailey thank you for the reply comment.

Quoting "I don't see how you can even hint blame towards her nocnoc, ..."

Well, in years of investigative work, (Non-LEO) One thing I have learned is in all emotional situations facts get distorted and too many times truth lays somewhere in between both statements.

I am constantly reminded there multiple sides to every story.

BTW: I never mention her or her son, only you did in your rebuttal.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/11/13 - 11:00 pm
Noc. Noc, is anyone there?

I"F he did this with the clear intend of harming the dog, he needs to dig a hole for himself. But in all too many Ex vs Ex situations the truth usually lays somewhere in the middle."

Is there a full moon tonight? If "her" is not his ex, please tell me who is?

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/12/13 - 09:20 am
Ex vs Ex is a generalized statement.

An is like casting a broad net of explanation to a General situation.

Remember we now live is an age where it does not need to be male and female EX's.

M-M or F-F or as some are now trying F-F-M or M-F-M.

Sorry you my misunderstood generalization.
I'll try to be more clear for some people in the future.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 09/12/13 - 03:59 pm
The little dogs name was Lily

The x wife said her x husband loved Lily - scary to think of what love means to him

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/21/13 - 03:41 pm
Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 09/12/13 - 06:15 pm
Dig that hole deeper

Doggone again. She was described as a woman in the story and they had a son! Oops!

Tiger Woods' plane spotted at airport

A plane matching the tail numbers of Tiger Woods' Gulfstream G5 was parked in front of the terminal for private aircraft at Augusta Regional Airport this morning.