Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Mother charged with leaving kids in motel

Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013 5:45 PM
Last updated 6:47 PM

A 26-year-old mother was arrested Tuesday after she left her three children, 5 and younger, alone at a motel while she visited the Department of Family and Children Services, police said.

Shanda Rucker  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Shanda Rucker

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Deputies were called to the Augusta Budget Inn, 441 Broad St., about 9 a.m. after a McDuffie County DFCS employee reported the children – ages 2, 4 and 5 – had been left alone.

A McDuffie County DFCS employee told police Rucker had called the Children’s Protective Hotline around 3 a.m. Tuesday and left a message asking for assistance. The report did not specify the assistance Rucker requested. The employee returned the call about 9 a.m. and discovered that Rucker’s children were alone.

She was booked into the Richmond County jail on three counts of deprivation of a minor.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 09/04/13 - 06:28 pm
GO DFCS

If she called at 3am and no one returned her call until 9am I really do not understand having a hotline for people in need. I am sorry she felt the need to leave them alone but when you have someone in a crisis situation it could have been a very bad outcome. If this is the service people get cut the line off, taxpayers do not need to pay for something that is not used.

Pops
Pops 09/04/13 - 07:34 pm
I know this is a wild and crazy idea....

chascushman
chascushman 09/04/13 - 07:49 pm
" How about....get

" How about....get this.....follow me here......how about not having children that you cannot provide for......"
Thank you so much Great Society, liberals/progressives, democrats and black leaders this is your work.

ragingbull
ragingbull 09/04/13 - 08:04 pm
My question is this:

My question is this: Warrenton is a little over 40 miles from Augusta. How did she get the children to a motel on Broad Street in Augusta? How did she intend to get them back to Warrenton? There is a DFCS office in Thomson, which is only eleven miles from Warrenton. She was up to something that is not being told.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 09/04/13 - 08:35 pm
I agree Ragingbull

I could not agree more but I still say someone should have checked on these children and not let a 6 hour time span. There is more to the story than what is in this article.

grouse
grouse 09/04/13 - 10:43 pm
Wow, a whole lot assumptions,

Wow, a whole lot assumptions, judgments, and condemnations here. What a compassionate bunch...

goldie53
goldie53 09/05/13 - 12:49 am
Something call birth control

Why again why? Why do these women continue to have children they can not afford to take care of. They have availablity to all kinds of birth control that wasn't as accessible when I was younger. Also, if she it tied to DFCAS she can get her birth control free! There is no excuse for this kind of uneducated mentality!

If you can't take care and raise up children (which I might add is a big responsiblity and task) don't have them. Prevention is the answer!

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/05/13 - 06:06 am
Why Come to ARC and sign up for help?

We have more to offer and still have some taxpayers to fund it.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/05/13 - 06:14 am
GA already has a law to control this problem.

OCGA 16-6-18. a law against unmarried Fornication.
A major cure to illegitimate births or STD's in GA.

☺Although I am not sure I want that level of Police PREVENTION.☺

WAG
WAG 09/05/13 - 07:33 am
Well what is a hot line for?

Well what is a hot line for? And then they don't get back for 6 hours. She and the kids could have been dead. But then that is the government for ya. Do they get paid for this hotline and if so why didn't someone answer the phone? Just like all the state departments. They think they don't have to wait on you. Nobody is gonna fire them. No accountability. When you walk in some of these depts. they act like they doing you a favor by being there. Fire them all!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/05/13 - 07:43 am
Sanctuary

I guess Augusta just picked up four new citizens — four new wards of the state.

Trouble
Trouble 09/05/13 - 07:44 am
hot line

if the situation was that dire, they have a better hot line to call, it is called 911.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 07:59 am
Trouble, I thought the same

Trouble, I thought the same thing!

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 08:00 am
Broad St has sidewalks. It

Broad St has sidewalks. It wasn't safe for the children to walk along the busy street (*snort*), but it was far safer to leave 3 small children alone. Sure. Got it.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 08:02 am
And the lovely Shanda was

And the lovely Shanda was just arrested in July for DC.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/05/13 - 08:13 am
Sounds Like

Sounds like Shanda's been busy, in more ways than one. I'm going to guess that maybe she knew someone that was already staying in the fine establishment. It is a shame that the kids are subjected to this. I do wonder what kind of monitoring the hotline has. But the short term answer if it really was an emergency is 911. The police can wake someone @ DFCS up if need be. I do think there is more to come.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 08:35 am
nocnoc, she was, or is,

nocnoc, she was, or is, married. Iviey is her maiden name.

ragingbull
ragingbull 09/05/13 - 08:52 am
I think she is what is

I think she is what is referred to as a "low information voter". If it was a true emergency at 3 a.m. she should have had the presence of mind to call 911. Anyone, man or woman, who leaves three children, all under age five, alone in a motel room, for any length of time, is not operating with a full deck. The first order of operation is permanent birth control. Next, the children are still young enough they can be adopted out to responsible parents and have a good life. The children are the ones who will suffer most here.

allhans
allhans 09/05/13 - 08:54 am
Maybe she left the kids to go

Maybe she left the kids to go out and look for a "missing person".

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/05/13 - 10:39 am
Hitched a ride

She hitched a ride from Augusta Budget Inn to the DFCS office. That's a mere few blocks. Easy walking distance. Her story is fishy.

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 09/05/13 - 11:37 am
Maybe she

Maybe she considered Fifth Street to be a busy street. The last time I checked, and that was 15 years ago Fifth Street had sidewalks.

concernmom
concernmom 09/05/13 - 11:44 am
paging Sandra Fluke....

...we need some Birth Control, Tubes tied! This woman does NOT need any more children!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/05/13 - 03:12 pm
Walk a mile in her shoes

I am so thankful for my mother and father. The viscous cycle of
dysfunctional living repeats over and over until someone gets recovery. What our government offers is just enabling, no real help.

Life's hard for a lot of people and its really easy to judge them. I suggest finding a few to "walk with". It'll change their life and your's too.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 03:36 pm
You know what? Nobody knows

You know what? Nobody knows why she called the hotline.

If somebody requests benefits at 3 am, no, that is not an emergency, and it would be ridiculous for someone to call her back at 3 am.

Having lived in low-income housing, a whole lot of unemployed people keep different hours than most of us- they stay up to 3 or 4 am, sleep until 11 or 12. When you don't have to get up to go to a job, or have kids that go to school, who cares when you go to bed? For them, 3 am is like 12 noon to us.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/13 - 03:41 pm
You Know What, Willow Bailey?

I have refused to make any comment on this one until I read your last paragraph.

"Life's hard for a lot of people and its really easy to judge them. I suggest finding a few to "walk with". It'll change their life and yours too."

Don't get me wrong because I really despise those that fake Hard Times. There is just too much paint left out of this printed painted picture to make a judgment comment.

but

one thing for sure, she lacked common sense on her actions.

tanbaby
tanbaby 09/05/13 - 04:07 pm
they keep having children

they keep having children because they don't pay for them.....you and i do...from birth until the day they die....

Darby
Darby 09/05/13 - 05:15 pm
"I think she is what is referred to as a "low

information voter""

Some folks should neither vote nor procreate.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 05:46 pm
I don't care how poor you

I don't care how poor you are, I don't care how "hard" your life is, you NEVER leave young children alone for any reason. EVER. It is a crime to do so, and the idea that she could be justified in any way is just mind-boggling.

She endangered their lives, and oh yes, I WILL judge her. What she did has nothing to do with being poor or having a hard life. There is NO excuse for what she did. She chose to have those children, it is HER JOB to take care of them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just like ALL OF US DID when we had small children.

I've been poor, I've lived in poverty, and I NEVER, EVER left my small child alone. EVER.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/05/13 - 11:44 pm
Corgia, Shanda doesn't have a clue...

I understand your feelings and I don't have a problem with addressing or pointing out wrong behaviors. Her problem is she is clueless, lacks the tools and support to change.

It took me a very long time and seeing the struggles of lots of women in my life to understand what my pastor was trying to teach me which is... we are not all the same. We have not all been parented the same, or had others to invest in us the same.

We learn best through the positive influence and modeling of significant others in our lives. If you had that, thank the Lord for it and give it away to someone who didn't.

We can have compassion for a person, and still allow the consequences to stand for them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/05/13 - 10:56 pm
Unspoken

From the story:

Shanda Iviey Rucker, of Warrenton, initially told police she left the children with a woman at the motel while she hitched a ride to the DFCS office on Fenwick Street. Rucker later told authorities she left the children alone in the motel room because it “wasn’t safe to walk the kids on the busy street.”

I guarantee you, there was a man involved here somewhere. The DFCS was nothing more than a cover. There will likely be another child involved next May.

Charges for sex offender

A man convicted of sex charges in Columbia County, who then went to prison for child molestation in south Georgia is back behind bars.