Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Former reserve officer indicted on theft charges in Augusta

Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013 6:39 PM
Last updated 8:44 PM

A former reserve officer with the Columbia County Sheriff’s Department has been indicted on theft charges.

A Richmond County grand jury returned a 59-count indictment Tuesday against several people, including Michael Tracy Kerr.

According to Columbia County Sheriff Capt. Steve Morris, Kerr was fired for conduct unbecoming an officer in March after the department learned of the theft investigation in Augusta. Kerr had been a reserve officer since 2005.

Kerr is named in only three counts of the indictment, although two of those charges allege Kerr stole property valued at greater than $25,000. According to the indictment, Kerr was supposed to make purchases at an auto auction for Southern Pick A Part on Doug Barnard Parkway.

The remaining counts of the indictment allege thefts from the company of 57 vehicles valued at between $1,500 and $5,000 between Jan. 1, 2011, and Dec. 17, 2012.

ragingbull
ragingbull 09/04/13 - 08:24 pm
I wonder if he knows anything

I wonder if he knows anything about a 1995 Ford Taurus that was stolen off the side of I-20 in 2010?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/04/13 - 11:44 pm
For profit prisonsCrooked

For profit prisons
Crooked contractor probation companies--supported by judges
Dirty cops
It's hard to tell who are the good guys anymore. It's a crazy world. Here's a little clip of a South Carolina cop lying his butt off at least 5 times in 9 minutes:

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/04/13 - 11:58 pm
Take a look at the evil

Take a look at the evil taking place right in South Carolina. The cops, even the governor.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 08:22 am
GAD, I'm not sure if you are

GAD, I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but the Supreme Court ruled many years ago that it's ok for the police to lie to suspects. It's done all the time during interrogations.

So I don't quite know what your point is, but ok.

truthsetmfree
truthsetmfree 09/05/13 - 08:50 am
Kerr, fired for conduct unbecoming an officer

First, Kerr was not a paid deputy. He was a reserve volunteer. His day job was that of a car lot owner/car salesman. Sure hate that this "want to be" officer smudges the badge of real law enforcement officers.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 09/05/13 - 08:53 am
Does Kerr Auto Sales sound

Does Kerr Auto Sales sound familiar?

ragingbull
ragingbull 09/05/13 - 09:26 am
That explains it all!

That explains it all! At least he was not stealing from the Sherriff's department.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/05/13 - 09:28 am
Corgimom, they were not

Corgimom, they were not suspects! They were breaking no laws. I half way get the lying in interrogation rooms. Did you watch the videos? Can you sleep ok knowing about this type of behavior? Here's another video from Atlanta. This guy's crime was that he has diabetes. The police chief supports the officer and the officer is still on the force

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/05/13 - 09:33 am
Truthsetmfree, Are you saying

Truthsetmfree,
Are you saying that the reserves are not the same as regular cops? If a cop pulls me over, should it make a difference to me whether he is a regular or a reserve? Does a reserve has the same power and authority over citizens as a regular? Should the sheriff rethink his program of allowing unpaid car salesman to act as police?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/05/13 - 03:32 pm
I'm a

South Carolinian through and through but what I saw of the colleton county gestapo calls for a recall of the high sheriff and the firing of his lieutenant seen on this video referred by GiantsAllDay.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/05/13 - 04:25 pm
Maybe he can wear his police

Maybe he can wear his police uniform in jail. I'm sure the other prisoners would get a kick out of it.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 04:25 pm
GAD, no, I do not waste my

GAD, no, I do not waste my time watching YouTube videos, I am not 14 years old. I also know not to believe everything I see and hear on the Internet.

willie Lee
willie Lee 09/05/13 - 10:45 pm
Right Perspective

Why don’t we put things in the proper light. The vast majority of cops out shine the good ones with their graft, untruthfulness, and general ego problems that were developed from who knows where. Why would anyone want to be a reserve deputy that receives no pay other than to enjoy the perceived power and intimidation factor. Cops are under paid which generates a task force of inept individuals that get their kicks from the harassment of others, over which they enjoy the power of intimidation. They arrest people because they can and seem to enjoy the grief and misery of others. Were they picked on in high school and now is their time for payback? Who knows, but we have to do something to get rid of these rogues and get back to the era when police officers were respected in our community rather than the present situation where they are viewed as “the man” who is out to offer nothing but harm and self gratification. Most cops couldn’t unstop a toilet if their life depended on it and join the force because they can do nothing else. They very seldom will tell the truth and do not care if an innocent person is incarcerated, as long as they get their kicks.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 09/05/13 - 11:43 pm
Any trouble with the law,

Any trouble with the law, willie?

Ego556
Ego556 09/06/13 - 06:41 am
yeah...sounds like Willie has

yeah...sounds like Willie has had his share of run-ins with the law. i'm sure all of them were unjustified and he is a victim.

willie Lee
willie Lee 09/06/13 - 05:53 pm
Sorry!

Hate to burst your bubble and I will type slow so you will understand. I worked with law enforcement for 40 years, not in it but had to interact daily with them so I know the truth. I have no reason as to why, so my opinion is the ineptness of the deputies to do anything else, plus the egos that were displayed. That is the reason for my opinion.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 09/07/13 - 02:32 pm
There's good and bad in all

There's good and bad in all things Willie.