Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man faces charge of sex trafficking of child

Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013 5:19 PM
Last updated 9:04 PM

An Augusta man who faces a charge of sex trafficking of children made his first court appearance Tuesday.

According to an affidavit by FBI special agent Charles McKee, Charles H. Castillo was arrested last week after Castillo set in motion a meeting between an undercover agent and a 16-year-old girl.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children tipped federal agents to an ad placed on a Web site. McKee wrote in his affidavit filed in Castillo’s federal court case that the site is known by law enforcement officers as a portal to search for adult services, including escorts.

The center said that the female in the ad appeared to be a juvenile. The phone number listed in the ad was used to arrange a “date” on Aug. 27 at a Harold Road apartment in Augusta.

At the apartment, which was rented by Castillo, agents found the girl shown in the ad, who was 16.

Castillo initially told investigators that he rented the girl from her pimp for the day, according to the FBI agent’s affidavit. He later admitted to playing the key role in setting up the teen for prostitution, McKee wrote.

A hearing is set for Tuesday morning to determine whether probable cause exists to send the charge against Castillo to a grand jury and whether bond should be set.

truth_be_told
truth_be_told 09/04/13 - 06:28 am
no no no

Just 2 pitbulls...........to make it last longer

corgimom
corgimom 09/04/13 - 07:38 am
That's why anybody that says

That's why anybody that says prostitution is a victimless crime doesn't know what they are talking about.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/04/13 - 08:35 am
Awesome Rebellious ! I was

Awesome Rebellious ! I was just going to say kill him, since she was just a kid, but wow, you're sicker than I am. And I approve !

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/04/13 - 10:26 am
I was guilty Corgi, but now converted

After watching the show on human trafficking and the sex trade, I changed my mind on prostitution being victimless. Sex slavery is a lot more widespread than people realize.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/04/13 - 11:40 am
Shameless Plug Here

My cousins, here in Augusta have started a non-profit, I'm Aware. Here is their story. They also have a Facebook page. I'm so very proud of them.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/life/your-faith/2011-02-25/group-brings-att... They are providing police training to spot this nightmare.

my.voice
my.voice 09/04/13 - 11:48 am
The problem with these crimes

The problem with these crimes is that nobody wants to look at it, so it gets little attention. Until its IN YOUR FACE it gets no genuine help. Its like domestic violence. Unfortunately, neither are "pretty" so they are ignored, denied, etc. Its much easier to give to rescue little fuzzy kittens.