Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

North Augusta residents robbed inside home

Two people were robbed at gunpoint inside a North Augusta home Wednesdayevening.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Two black men wearing masks and armed with pistols forced their way inside a home on the 100 block of Hammond Place Circle about 6:45 p.m. after a homeowner answered their knocks on the front door, according to a North Augusta Department of Public Safety incident report.

The assailants made the 27-year-old man lie on the living room floor and demanded money.

One of the robbers walked into the back bedroom, where he saw a woman sitting on the bed with a bank deposit next to her. He pointed his pistol at her and took the $360 deposit as well as her cell phone.

The armed robbers also took the man’s cell phone and money from his wallet as he remained on the floor. The men told him they’d shoot if he got up.

They drove away in a dark grey Chevrolet Suburban.

The male victim told officers that he recalled seeing the SUV following him from work that evening, but he didn’t think much of it at the time.

North Augusta public safety officers used an iPhone app to track both phones to the 900 block of Amherst Drive and found them in the front yard of a residence. An investigator on scene was able to lift two fingerprints from the phones but was unable to find the suspects.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/30/13 - 04:42 am
Is Crime crossing the river to hunt?

Of course these could have been SC Thugs.
But, as the pickings get thinner and RCSO gets tougher, have we come to the point that ARC is exporting crime?

Or is it part of what comes with a growing CSRA?

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/30/13 - 05:24 am
The real explanation

"Compass Academy's first fundraiser was held today on the 100 block of Hammond Place Circle but netted only two cell phones and a little more than $360...."

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/13 - 06:45 am
The front door

Don't be so fast to open that door..this is a different world today..sad but it is....some in the Buckhead area have been followed home from the grocery stores....rings have been jerked off the hand..nasty way to live but always be aware.

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/30/13 - 07:17 am
THUGS

Some thugs just find it easier to rob decent people than get a job. Never open the front door unless you know who's there. If it's a stranger at your door arm yourself and call the cops.

countyman
countyman 08/30/13 - 07:30 am
Nocnoc.... The phones were

Nocnoc.... I don't quite understand the comment related to the pickings getting thinner, because West Augusta/Summerville/Forest Hills are much richer compared to North Augusta.

The stolen phones were found on Amherst Drive in North Augusta.. If anybody has recently driven through parts of North Augusta like Bradleyville rd. They can see how the city of North Augusta definitely has it's own poorer areas...

The Chronicle could easily report the daily crime in the suburban counties regularly, but they choose not too..

They never want to report the daily crime in Columbia County. The Augusta Chronicle will have multiple articles related to crime in Richmond County(some even for shoplifting), but the Columbia County News Times will have zero articles on crime most times..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/30/13 - 07:34 am
Darn

Why doesn't something like that happen to me!

pommom38
pommom38 08/30/13 - 07:37 am
Really

Noc?!
You must not live in SC. RC has nothing to do with the crime over the river.
Break ins and robbery happen all the time here, yes, thugs in good ol N. Aug!
Not sure why they aren't covered as well County, but wish someone would! I think many residents are too blase about the risk.
I know of one street, only has 10 homes on it, 5 of which have been broken into. Nobody heard anything about it! Bradleyville Rd, N. Aug Gardens, just two less than favorable areas.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/30/13 - 07:57 am
Two black "men".

naacp, cbc, sclc, splc, urban league, present doj, rainbow push, sharpton, walker, campbell, kilpatrick and the dnc created these thugs and continue to feed them.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/30/13 - 08:02 am
I'm with CobaltGeorge.

There'd be two less thugs on the top of the ground if they broke into my home.

bdouglas
bdouglas 08/30/13 - 08:02 am
Don't answer the door without

County:
Amherst Drive is nothing close to a "poorer" neighborhood. Stick to what you know and stop trying to bring how much better Richmond County is into every thread that has nothing to do with it...or worse yet, the ones where you leave backhanded compliments on whatever the story is about, but then talk about how much better the areas are that you champion.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/30/13 - 09:13 am
What he said!

"Don't answer the door without a gun in your pocket or openly carried at your side. Or just don't answer at all. If it's someone you know they should have the courtesy to call first, and if it isn't then there's really no reason to answer the door."

If I'm not expecting you, chances are I don't go to the door. I won't be bothered by JW's, pine straw hawkers, burglar alarm salesmen, or anyone else with something to peddle.

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/30/13 - 10:15 am
North Augusta Police, as USUAL, decided that their

intrepertation of the law governing attachment of a GPS device, to a "suspects," vehicle was stunningly WRONG, so now they track stolen phones again....When they (were) refusing to do so! Yes, I said they were REFUSING to do so!!!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/30/13 - 11:53 am
Window

Do you reckon one of the thieves was able to look through the bedroom window and see the deposit money before they knocked on the door?

Also, what about the notion that the SUV followed the man home to his residence? Kind of risky, I would say.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/30/13 - 12:15 pm
Well they'll probably catch

Well they'll probably catch these two and they'll get a few months in jail. But it is a good thing the victims were packing cause if they had protected themselves and killed the assailants then Augusta would be in the lime light for the Stand Your Ground law and the murder of these two innocent criminals, and these victims might be doing life imprisonment for killing these innocent criminals.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/30/13 - 01:59 pm
Two more living the dream.

Two more living the dream.

Gage Creed
19456
Gage Creed 08/30/13 - 02:47 pm
Cherry picking again I

Cherry picking again I see...

"West Augusta/Summerville/Forest Hills are much richer compared to North Augusta." How about a comparison of like objects shall we?

Say compare your champions to Hammonds Ferry or River North or Savannah Barony ... but that would level the field wouldn't it? SMH

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/30/13 - 04:27 pm
I agree about not opening the

I agree about not opening the door, but, I think it could be dangerous not to answer it. Many burglaries consist of ringing first, then breaking in. Sometimes, one goes to the front and the other to the back. While driving home, paying attention to who is behind you and for how long, could save your life.

And LL, I thought the same thing. What are the chances someone would break in on you while you were preparing your bank deposit?
Was the $360 a check or cash? These people might actually work with homeowner if they followed him home from his workplace.

Swatbad
Swatbad 08/30/13 - 05:13 pm
Something here smells fishy.....

Two blacks, black men...... Knock on the door....they open the door.......the suspects force their way inside.... Happen to see a woman in the back with a bank deposit bag......steal two iphones with the money....the phones are later thrown away and found in someone's front yard...............hmmmmmm.........sounds like it might have been staged. All this in Hammond Hill. I don't buy it!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/30/13 - 08:29 pm
pommom38 in 1970's, but not much since then.

Had family running a business in the valley / Clearwater area for 40+ years. As a teen I use to hitch hike Sat/Sun morning from Hephzibah to Clearwater to work on weekends all without a problem. I then hitched to Downtown for concerts with the $$$ I earned then caught the TW or GH back for 50 cents. I have hung out in the in North Augusta, the Heidelberg Inn, the Skating Rink and never had a problem.

In my shadier days, raised some hell over at Riverside until the wee hours playing pool, after 5th street shutdown, but still no major issues aside some karate practice once of twice before the word got out.

In all those years I never heard of much house property crime even hanging out along Pre-Walmart Martintown Rd. in NA.

I guess the area has changed.... just like ARC has....
and not for the better or more peaceful either.

Darby
Darby 08/30/13 - 09:28 pm
Call me paranoid if you like, but I don't

usually bother to answer my door for anyone unless I know them.

If I don't know them, then chances are they have nothing I want. Let 'em go next door. (My daughter buys my Girl Scout cookies for me at work. I like the chocolate mint ones.)

On the rare occasions when I do go to the door, my 40 cal is in my hand or, more likely, tucked into my waistband.

I have, out of curiosity, once or twice walked out the back door, around the side of the house to ask a stranger what he wanted.

There are a lot of careless, reckless people and there are a lot of old people. There aren't a lot of careless, reckless, old people.

bdouglas
bdouglas 08/31/13 - 10:21 pm
@County

Yes, you responded to Nocnoc...and then continued to your normal copy and paste comments that have nothing to do with this. Story about a new store opening in Aiken County? You reply with how it's great for Aiken County and then continue on listing your copy and paste laundry list of how much better RC is in every way imaginable and how it's "going to another level". Every post has "I think it's hilarious that...", followed by the same old nonsensical reasoning. It's your MO, we know. It's tiring. Just like your constant misspelling of my name that is clearly spelled out at the top of every one of my posts...to the point that I know it's intentional and it's not even remotely amusing. A little proofreading goes a long way, too. At this point, no one can even understand half of your diatribes.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...