DUI crackdown planned for Labor Day weekend

Area law enforcement agencies will once again crack down on drunk driving offenses for Labor Day weekend.

At least three sobriety roadchecks will be set up each night from Thursday through Monday as part of the 22nd “Hands Across the Border,” a DUI enforcement campaign sponsored by the state Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, said Richmond County Sheriff’s Lt. Lewis Blanchard.

Richmond County traffic deputies will team up with other local officers and agencies, including Georgia State Patrol and the Department of Natural Resources, to cut down on impaired driving and boating instances on area roads and waterways this holiday weekend.

“They’re going to have a very heavy enforcement action on the river and on the lake,” Blanchard said.

Blanchard pointed out that the blood alcohol limit for boaters was lowered to .08 earlier this year.

The National Safety Council predicts there will be nearly 400 traffic fatalities during the holiday weekend, with more than 34 million Americans traveling 50 miles or more from their homes, according to AAA.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/30/13 - 08:22 am
Checkpoints, Checkpoints, Checkpoints

I mean if alcohol is so bad that we have to have checkpoints on our roads and rivers, in disregard of our constitutional rights, maybe we should just outlaw alcohol? Wait, we tried that ONCE.

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/30/13 - 08:22 am
CHECKPOINTS

I've got an idea! Why doesn't the CSRA police forces go out and actually look for some criminals robbing and terrorizing folks? Using precious police resources like this just let the thugs know where the cops will be.

ragingbull
ragingbull 08/30/13 - 10:06 am
It is legal to buy it in

It is legal to buy it in grocery stores, convenience stores, and restaurants and bars. It is legal to sit in a bar and get totally sloshed. But once one gets behind the wheel of an automobile it becomes illegal to be drunk. I am in no way condoning drunk driving, I am just pointing out the irony of the whole thing. It is the only mind altering substance that one can legally enjoy while in the confines of one's own yard, home, restaurant, or bar, but the minute one leaves those confines, whether in an automobile or on foot, one can be arrested for being drunk. It's kind of like going to a brothel where STD's are rampant, have fun while you are there, but when you leave, get prepared. As stated earlier, I in no way have any sympathy for a drunk driver, and in no way would encourage any one has had a drink to get behind the wheel of a car. But isn't it ironic that one can buy all the alcohol one wants, and one can consume all the alcohol one wants, and it is all legal? But as soon as one engages in any public activity, whether it be driving or harassing someone, one's intoxication is considered illegal? Talk about double standards.

ragingbull
ragingbull 08/30/13 - 10:22 am
One other thing, back in my

One other thing, back in my younger days,(not that I am old, just old enough to know better now), I was guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol. I was driving home after a night of partying and I had an accident. I was the only vehicle involved, so thank goodness no one else had to suffer because of my stupidity. I flipped my vehicle down an embankment and only suffered minor cuts and scrapes, but from the looks of my car I should have had a broken neck. I totaled my car, was on probation for a year, had a hefty fine, and outrageous insurance rates for the next three years. Just the financial consequences alone were enough for me, not to mention every time I renewed my insurance the first question the underwriter would ask after learning of my DUI, was how often do you drink? I have always been an occasional drinker, and have never had a problem with alcohol,(I mean a problem where one has to drink constantly), but that incident taught me a lifelong lesson. My well being and the well being of others is more important than taking a chance of driving after a few drinks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/30/13 - 11:02 am
Everyone is Against Drunk Driving

Everyone is against drunk driving. My problem is with unconstitutional checkpoints. If there were some kind of device that could detect drivers under the influence as they drove by, I wouldn't say a word. But these checkpoints reminiscent of dictatorships looking for people to lock up rile me up to no end.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/30/13 - 11:37 am
Constitutional

Constitutional rights......what are those? We have abdicated our rights under the Constitution. Some we have forfeited out of fear and being "safe". Some have been taken by courts misinterpreting the Constitution and expanding the powers of the federal government. And some have been ripped from us by executive order. Well, ripped is a bad choice of words because, for the most part, nobody even whimpered. The Republic is lost. The Apathetic Revolution is almost over except for a few remaining diehards who are willing to do what is necessary to remain free or die trying.

specsta
specsta 08/30/13 - 08:33 pm
Big Brother Is Watching

While the purpose of catching drunk drivers is admirable, there is something a bit more sinister going on here.

Let me preface what I'm about to state with the fact that two drunk drivers have crashed into my car in the past. My child was buckled in the safety car seat when I was hit by a drunk driver. Fortunately, no one was hurt. I have no tolerance for people who drink and drive - let me be absolutely clear about that.

That being said, DUI checkpoints is just part of a much larger clandestine plan to get Americans used to living under a police state. These tactics are always wrapped under the guise of "public safety" or "protecting the children" or "fighting the terrorists". The truth is, those slogans are just smokescreens.

American citizens are being subjected to para-military police activities - even to the point where in some counties, any warrant, even those for non-violent crimes, is served courtesy of a SWAT team, with doors kicked in and house occupants facing the barrels of automatic weapons. Innocent people, including the elderly, have been gunned down by these trigger-happy police. And the incidents are not isolated. In Texas two weeks ago, an organic farm - yes, a simple vegetable farm, was raided by a massive SWAT team. Nothing illegal was found.

The goal is to get the American people used to illegal searches on their persons, illegal searches of their properties, and to live under the shadow of a police state that erodes privacy and the protections of the Fourth Amendment.

"Papers, please", is a phrase not too far off in the makings of this nation.

Citizens need to stop worrying about Miley Cyrus twerking or some ridiculous "basketball housewife" and start realizing that such nonsense is just a distraction, to prevent folks from understanding that our Constitutional rights are going away - just like the frog slowly being boiled in the water that was originally cool and comfortable.

Anytime you hear government folks talking about "safety of the citizens" via Gestapo-type police activities - just be aware of the real truth.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.