Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man, 78, charged with rape, molestation

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 12:29 PM
Last updated 10:48 PM

A 78-year-old Augusta man has been charged with rape and several counts of child molestation that police said occurred over several years.

Rhodes  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Rhodes

According to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report, a 13-year-old girl’s father contacted police Aug. 10 after she told him that Harold “Dusty” Rhodes had molested her.

In 2003, Rhodes ran for city commissioner in District 8. He finished with 9 percent of the vote. According to the Richmond County Tax Assessor’s office, he also owned the South Augusta Flea Market on Doug Barnard Parkway from 1992 to 2008.

The girl told authorities the man began making sexual comments about oral sex when she was about 6 years old and began physically abusing her about two years later.

Police interviewed the suspect and said there was enough information to make an arrest.

Rhodes was booked Thursday into the Richmond County jail on charges of rape, nonaggravated child molestation and three counts of aggravated child molestation.

Darby
Darby 08/24/13 - 04:22 pm
Well, it's gonna be interesting to watch

this thing unfold now isn't it?

Brhodes24
Brhodes24 08/24/13 - 04:24 pm
Nocnoc

Yes pretty much everything you have researched is correct. The property features over 90 acres of land, half of that land is an 18 hole golf course and he was in the process of adding another 9 hole course behind that, in front of the course is a huge fishing pond thats about 3/4 the size of the golf course itself. A heated swimming pool with a poolhouse that has 2 bedrooms, one bathroom and a kitchen, and the main house features a game room, a dining room with a table that seats 52 people, a kitchen, a theatre room, a bar, a jacuzzi room, and 4 bedrooms. So yeah like i said, theres alot to be gained here...

krystal_mueller
krystal_mueller 08/24/13 - 04:45 pm
BRHODES

I think I found you on facebook. Ive been friends with Dusty since i was 16. Brought many of my young friends to the house. and i am WILLING to testify.... he did not do this!!!!!!!!

krystal_mueller
krystal_mueller 08/24/13 - 04:47 pm
ive tanned in his tanning

ive tanned in his tanning bed. got in the hot tub. slept in his house MANY times. swam in his pool. i love Mr Dusty Rhodes. and he has a heart of gold. Shannon is a LOONEY NUTCASE in my opinion. and my mom told me what happened when she LEFT HIM TO DIE in his floor. ad when Ih eard of this... i called him... and she answerd his phone.. and wouldnt let me talk to him. he was a big part of my life until they got married and i wasnt allowed to come around anymore. There is PLENTY motive to this case!!!!!!!!!!!!

krystal_mueller
krystal_mueller 08/24/13 - 04:49 pm
and

YES every case like this is taken SERIOUSLY..... why should he be exempt from the law. but in the end... there will be justice.... he is not a moster or a pedifile... hes a good old man.

Brhodes24
Brhodes24 08/24/13 - 05:00 pm
Thanks

I appreciate the kind words in regards to my grandpa, maybe with more people like you guys and me saying what a good person he is and showing the motive here, maybe that will help people realize that you cant always listen to the media, they dont always have the whole story. And they dont always tell the whole truth either

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/24/13 - 05:05 pm
I'm in full

agreement with GnipGnop.

krystal_mueller
krystal_mueller 08/24/13 - 05:06 pm
your welcome

ive got at least a dozen people rounded up that said they would testify. many girls who were at the time, like myself, 13-16 years of age when we were always at his house. and i hope the motive comes out... i hope its seen she left Dusty to die on te floor. the dad of the child wanting money and trying to get Dusty back for the death of the little boy. i'm waiting on word from Glen, he will tell my mom, and if court is Friday.... I WIL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love your grandpa. he has helped me in so many ways, as he did others.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/24/13 - 08:55 pm
Somethingis fishy

He will have his day in court.
After hearing from his granddaughter and other's who seem to know this man I have a feeling he's being set up. I don't know this for sure but it sure seems this way.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/24/13 - 11:12 pm
I was just asking questions,

I was just asking questions, that's all. I admit freely that I don't know very much about these issues. That's why I wish a police officer, a judge or a lawyer would make a comment. I'll ask one more question:
Lets just say I live in an upstairs apartment with a family (mom dad 2 little girls) living down stairs.
Lets just say the girls have their music turned on too loud and it's keeping me up
Lets just say I call the apt manager and complain and Lets just say the manager pays them a visit the next morning and tells them to turn down the music, especially late at night
Lets just say one of the girls (intelligent, but still underage) tells her parents and the police that I did inappropriate things to her in the parking lot, just because she is [filtered word] and wants revenge.
Do I get arrested?
Do I get my picture in the newspaper?
Do I get my fellow citizens in Augusta, GA commenting about me in this forum?

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/25/13 - 10:24 am
Me thinks this "one girl"

Me thinks this "one girl" story might turn into a "two girl," "three girl," "four girl,"........"twenty-one girl" story as time elapses. These dirt-bags don't have just one victim - they're like serial killers - and "serial killer" doesn't mean one.

WAG
WAG 08/25/13 - 10:45 am
Obviously there was enough to

Obviously there was enough to arrest him. We shall see!

corgimom
corgimom 08/26/13 - 05:41 am
GiantsAllDay, the police

GiantsAllDay, the police would come and talk to you. If they had PROBABLE CAUSE to think that a crime had been committed, they would arrest you.

It's called an "investigation" just for that reason.

They need more than just a girl saying that.

However, they interviewed him. And based on HIS STATEMENTS, they arrested him.

There is a myth out there that a predator will molest every child they come in contact with. That is not true. They choose and groom their victims very carefully, and it's about power, dominance, and control. They pick the vulnerable ones, the ones that they know they can get away with it.

They manipulate those children.

And they pick the ones that they can be successful with.

That is why, when molesters get arrested, people say "No, it's not true, I never saw it, my child was around them and nothing ever happened." They don't pick the ones where they think they will get caught.

corgimom
corgimom 08/26/13 - 05:50 am
"ive got at least a dozen

"ive got at least a dozen people rounded up that said they would testify. many girls who were at the time, like myself, 13-16 years of age when we were always at his house"

I don't believe that kind of testimony would help him at all.

onethickdiva
onethickdiva 08/26/13 - 11:23 am
@BRhodes I understand

your frustration. I really do but when an allegation is made, there has to be an investigation. And yes, we posters get a little crazy at times especially when a child is involved and all the "facts" are in print. I've done business with your family for over 10 years and pray that everything comes to light.

mparadiso29877
mparadiso29877 08/26/13 - 11:59 am
Sickening

I cant believe at 52 that I still see people calling little girls, young girls and women such nasty words for going to the authorities about sexual abuse.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 08/26/13 - 12:28 pm
Good grief

This is a perfect example of why comments should be turned off for certain stories. Some here know he is guilty because the accusation has been made. Then you have someone who claims to be a family member who is saying that he didn't do it. Unfortunately no one really knows anything here. Then you have Sean Moores who has banned me for life because I accused him of not allowing certain people to have freedom of speech. Which by the way proves my point but I digress. Get rid of the comments and turn them off. As one of Sean's comments to me, "This doesn't help build community." He really ought to practice what he preaches. Oh I forgot... It only applies to us conservatives; not to censoring liberals like him.

nikkipabe
nikkipabe 08/27/13 - 04:26 am
1.) If some of you would have

1.) If some of you would have tried to actually research this a little, you would see that the story the news told was that the girls mother DID see this take place and did nothing. She told her daughter there is nothing she could do about it.
2.) Why didn't she tell?? Aside from the mental and emotional damage/abuse this statement was also in the story.*"In a five-page statement, she told police that Rhodes had sex with her when she was about 8 or 9 and has pointed a loaded pistol at her.'
3.) To Mr. Rhodes 'grandchild' .. so you witnessed his wife treat him this way and leave him to die on the floor but YOU did nothing? Hmmmm..... And also, do you discuss the sex life of your grandfather regularly? Is it over tea or coffee perhaps??
I don't know this guy, although I've heard his name and this happened not far from MY home, but I will just say that being a molestation victim.....I will always believe there is some truth behind an accusation like that. Especially since I know how hard it can be to finally get the help you desperately need and tell someone!

rebellious
20111
rebellious 08/27/13 - 07:04 am
Set-Up

Could this be a set up by a father seeking revenge over the death of his 2 year old while he was in prison? All info below is from public records search.

Review the facts:

2 Year Old drowns:

Father listed:

Do a Case Management Search for Criminal History:
First Degree Forgery
Possession of Methamphetamine
STATE OF GEORGIA - INCARCERATION HISTORY

INCARCERATION BEGIN INCARCERATION END
02/04/2009 06/30/2010
05/20/2004 12/18/2004
01/08/2002 08/30/2002

2008RCCR01220 CLYBURN, JOSEPH TRENT JAMES G BLANCHARD, JR CL 9/16/2008

Charges
Charge # Violation code Offense Offense Date Disposed On Disposition Method Disposition Stage Arrest Date Felony/Misdemeanor
1 16-7-1

*Reduced to 16-8-7 BURGLARY

*THEFT BY RECEIVING STOLEN PROPERTY 5/11/2008 8/4/2009

8/4/2009

GUILTY PLEA

P 8/25/2008 F

*F
2 16-8-2

*Reduced to 16-8-2 THEFT BY TAKING

*THEFT BY TAKING (M) 8/25/2008 8/4/2009

8/4/2009

GUILTY PLEA

P 8/25/2008 F

*M
3 16-10-24(A) OBSTRUCTION OF A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (M) 8/25/2008 8/4/2009 GUILTY PLEA P 8/25/2008 M
4 16-10-25 GIVING A FALSE NAME TO A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (M) 8/25/2008 8/4/2009 GUILTY PLEA P 8/25/2008 M
5 16-11-131 POSSESSION OF FIREARM BY A CONVICTED FELON 5/11/2008 8/4/2009 NOLLE PROSEQUI P 8/25/2008 F

Sentencing
Charge# Sentence Date Sentence Base Fine Total Due Years Months Days Hours
1 8/4/2009 CONFINEMENT 3
1 8/4/2009 PROBATION 5
1 8/4/2009 FINE $500.00 $725.00
1 8/4/2009 FEES
1 8/4/2009 RESTITUTION
2 8/4/2009 CONFINEMENT 12
2 8/4/2009 CONCURRENT WITH PRIOR COUNT
3 8/4/2009 CONFINEMENT 12
3 8/4/2009 CONCURRENT WITH PRIOR COUNT
4 8/4/2009 CONFINEMENT 12

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/27/13 - 10:52 am
This is the type of story

immediately boils our blood, just reading a Headline.

It had mine going I admit.

But now as facts come out and I learn more about the players I have to stop and wonder more and more as every detail comes out.

As more details surface including Criminal records, accidents and the possibility of Gold Diggers and the possibility of a vengeful father for losing a child.

I am having greater and greater issues with the credibility of the child, father and the mother. Plus we now have the possibility that the 13 y/o coming forward and was timed and coached for profit by her parents.

Time To Say What We Have.
My Wife and I infrequently stroll the South Augusta Flea, but we know some VERY LONG TIME vendors there (1990's). These people also had little girls, both are now adults and older teens and neither was bothered by this person.

Given the web of omissions that are being uncovered, such as:
drugs, stealing, prison time, probation, parole violations, denial of medical care, Gold Digging, lots of $$$$$$, a baby daddy recently released from jail, and more. This could eventually end up be a mini TV Movie. Or even others headed to jail instead.

The following Simplified Timeline was likely omitted from the Article due to space, but should be looked at for a bigger picture.

2005
Arrested Joseph Trent Clyburn, 35, of the 3500 block of Mike Padgett Highway, possession of methamphetamine; seven years' probation, fined $2,250 and ordered to undergo drug and alcohol screens

2004-06
At sometime previously the Mother (late 30's?) left the father and hooked up with Mr. Rhodes (70's) .

2006 Mr. Clyburn's 2 year old son(?) along with the 6 year (now called the 13 y/o victim) opens a locked door and wonders down to a pond with the 2 year old. The 2 year ends up in a pond and the 6 years (now 13) comes back to the house to tell her mother and Mr. Rhodes the baby was in the water.

2007
May 10, 2007 - The South Augusta Flea burns to the ground.

2008
Feb 3, 2008 - Joseph Trent Clyburn , 37, probation violation
Joseph Trent Clyburn , 38, of the 2400 block of Carpenter Avenue, Hephzibah, burglary, theft by taking, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and misdemeanor counts of obstruction of a law enforcement officer and giving a false name to a law enforcement officer

2009
Joseph Clyburn - arrested

2010
Joseph Trent Clyburn , also known as Joseph T. Clyburn , also known as Joseph Clyburn , also known as Trent J. Clyburn , 39, convicted Aug. 4, 2009, in Richmond County of theft by receiving stolen property and misdemeanor counts of theft by taking, obstruction of a law enforcement officer and giving a false name to a law enforcement officer; sentenced to three years in prison, followed by five years' probation, to run concurrently with a sentence of seven years' probation handed down Oct. 13, 2005, for a Richmond County conviction of possession of methamphetamine; paroled to Richmond County effective June 30.

2010 + 3 years Mr. Clyburn gets out of jail and the 13y/o after speaking with daddy have Mr. Rhodes arrested.

So now we have 2 viable ways to view this unfolding drama.

Given the facts others and I have quickly uncovered, I would pray the public NOT form an uneducated opinion based on limited story details, talking heads and headlines.

This why we have a Legal System,
instead of a community lynch mob.

allhans
allhans 08/27/13 - 11:59 am
I recall something being said

I recall something being said about "oral" sex in that case his age would not be a factor.

allhans
allhans 08/27/13 - 12:05 pm
So Mr. Rhodes and the child's

So Mr. Rhodes and the child's mother was
taking a nap" when the little boy drowned. Okay..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/27/13 - 03:48 pm
Some Real Damn Good Research

nocnoc. What's bad, all that information will never be heard in a court room.

nikkipabe
nikkipabe 08/27/13 - 09:18 pm
My little sister snuck over

My little sister snuck over to his house with about 5 of her middle school friends hanging around his house all in their bikinis and using his tanning bed...My mom personally knows this man and had her doubts when she caught my sister but had no proof. This is just the icing on the cake! And to the people wanting to know why she waited so long to tell, aside from the mental and physical abuse, it clearly states he had held a gun to her face....To his 'grandkid' do you always discuss your grandpas sexuality?? Thats pretty gross...I also know from personal experience that almost any accusation like that has SOME truth to it at the very least. I call [filtered word]!! I understand trying to defend your family or even not believing they actually committed the crime, but guess what...9 times out of 10 it's true. Also, the story from the news says that the girls mother DID see this take place and did nothing and told her daughter she couldn't do anything about it!!! Hope everything comes to light and he gets what he truly deserves.

rebellious
20111
rebellious 08/28/13 - 09:01 am
9 out of 10

Innocent until found guilty is designed to protect the 1. It sounds as if nikkipabe has a made up mind based on a newspaper article and her little sister trespassing. Sad and I hope she never is on the receiving end of such a rush to judgement when her life is in the balance.

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.