Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man, 78, charged with rape, molestation

Friday, Aug 23, 2013 12:29 PM
Last updated 10:48 PM

A 78-year-old Augusta man has been charged with rape and several counts of child molestation that police said occurred over several years.

Rhodes  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Rhodes

According to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report, a 13-year-old girl’s father contacted police Aug. 10 after she told him that Harold “Dusty” Rhodes had molested her.

In 2003, Rhodes ran for city commissioner in District 8. He finished with 9 percent of the vote. According to the Richmond County Tax Assessor’s office, he also owned the South Augusta Flea Market on Doug Barnard Parkway from 1992 to 2008.

The girl told authorities the man began making sexual comments about oral sex when she was about 6 years old and began physically abusing her about two years later.

In a five-page statement, she told police that Rhodes had sex with her when she was about 8 or 9 and has pointed a loaded pistol at her.

Police interviewed the suspect and said there was enough information to make an arrest.

Rhodes was booked Thursday into the Richmond County jail on charges of rape, nonaggravated child molestation and three counts of aggravated child molestation.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/23/13 - 12:02 pm
Not defending this guy or

Not defending this guy or anything, but can a little girl make a claim to her father about a man and then the police arrests him? I just would like someone who knows how the system works to comment.

Darby
Darby 08/23/13 - 01:59 pm
"...... can a little girl make a claim to her

father about a man and then the police arrests him?"

Looks that way. Maybe one of the cops or legal eagles on these boards can enlighten us as to the procedure.

...................................................................................

Now, if I may be permitted to nit pick, just a little......
"The girl told authorities the man began making sexual comments about oral sex..........."

Aren't ALL comments about oral sex considered "sexual comments"? Who edited that?

Just thinking out loud...

validPoint
validPoint 08/23/13 - 03:37 pm
Speculation Eliminated.

"Police interviewed the suspect and found there was enough information to make an arrest" See? There it is, right there in the article. The last statement. They did not rely on what the girl said alone. There it is, right there, plain as day.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/23/13 - 03:39 pm
Any child reporting this is taken very seriously

Any time a child tells anyone that someone has sexually molested them, it is always treated seriously by the authorities. Almost always, there is truth behind the report. Not 100% of the time, but far and away the majority of reports are true.

The key is to find out what happened without tainting the child's story with leading questions that suggest "desired" answers. It takes a lot of skill to do that, and both DFCSs and the local law enforcement have people trained to do it.

There is hardly anything more sickening than what this girl is reporting. If it's proven to be true, it cries out for the most severe punishment possible. Rape still should be a capital crime; people who do this, especially to children and the otherwise vulnerable and innocent, should be put to death.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/23/13 - 03:56 pm
If he's

guilty, he needs to be in the same cell with elkins.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/23/13 - 03:59 pm
he is innocent until proven guilty

If he is found guilty he should be castrated then shot.

allhans
allhans 08/23/13 - 05:36 pm
Innocent until found guilty

Innocent until found guilty is only true in the legal sense. In the real world, if he did it, it is done. There is no do-overs.

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 08/23/13 - 08:03 pm
By no means am I

By no means am I defending this man because if he is found guilty he should be castrated. I just curious as to why the child waited seven years before telling her father.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/23/13 - 10:05 pm
I understand that child

I understand that child molestation takes place every day and those who commit such a horrendous act are sick and most times young children do not tell for many reasons, fear, threats, etc.

What I have a hard time understanding is how a mother of a child can not suspect something is wrong, even if she doesn't know her child is being molested, there should be some major red flags. It is not physically normal for a grown man to have sexual intercourse with a 8 year old child and not some sort of damage be done. I am assuming here that the child said the suspect had sex with her, meaning sexual intercourse. Would a mother not notice blood on a child's panties or swollen, bruised, or sore genital area? Are mothers so busy now a days that they do not take notice of their children, not to mention I'm sure there would be some behavioral changes.

This article makes me sick to my stomach and if he is guilty lock him up for life. Only God can have mercy on his soul for harming a sweet innocent child. This is beyond disgusting.

corgimom
corgimom 08/24/13 - 02:20 am
pgapeach, why did she wait 7

pgapeach, why did she wait 7 years? Are you KIDDING me? She was being SEXUALLY ABUSED, and subjected to repeated mental and physical trauma, that's why!

She was a SIX YEAR OLD BABY when this started! Why on Earth, WHY would you think that a child would know how to handle this???

Who knows what he told her to control her? He probably told her that he'd kill her or her family, or that she would be taken away from her family, or that her parents wouldn't love her anymore. Predators do that, because they are sick, evil people. And because their victims are BABIES they don't know they are being lied to!

It took her until she was 13 to gather the courage, to get the understanding that he lied to her and manipulated her. that the lies that he told her weren't true.

That little girl- that precious child- has been raped for years, both in her mind and her body. She has shown enormous courage in telling, she is a very special child.

Many child molestation victims don't tell until they are adults, and even then, it's very difficult. No child, anywhere, any time, can handle being raped.

I cannot believe that you don't understand why.

We understand that adults who experience trauma- such as soldiers who have experienced war, or adult rape victims- can't talk about their experiences, for years afterwards- but then you have different expectations of a CHILD? A young CHILD?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/24/13 - 05:43 am
'IF'

something like this was to happen to my 7 year old Grandgirl, I can assure you all one thing.....I would be serving what remaining years I have in prison waiting for the execution date. Period.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/24/13 - 06:09 am
Corgimom, try and be less

Corgimom, try and be less condescending to others who post on here. There are some who post that may not be as well versed in the evils that rage in our society today and naturally people assume a young child would trust and tell their parents everything. I'm sure papeach2 fines it just as hard to comprehend how such a human can be so despicable and why a 8 or 9 year old would not confide in their parents. Some of us who have worked in law enforcement or with abused children in some capacity understand the fear, shame, and intimidation that goes along with abuse (whether children or adults) and why they do not speak up, but those who have not been educated in this sickness naturally have questions about by victims keep quiet. It is not hard to understand why pgapeach2 questions why.

truth_be_told
truth_be_told 08/24/13 - 06:11 am

Not if I'm on the jury!!!!!

WAG
WAG 08/24/13 - 06:33 am
Some people just don't get

Some people just don't get it! Kids don't tell because they are scared,they have been threatened, they feel guilty, many reasons. I f a child says it is to be taken seriously. As to why the mother did not know where was the father? Why did he not know? Wake up and learn about sexual abuse. it is the most hidious crime out there. ruins lives. If he is guilty I believe there is a special place in hell for him.

WAG
WAG 08/24/13 - 06:34 am
Are fathers so busy or just

Are fathers so busy or just not there that they don't notice things. That is right always blame the mother. As usual! makes me sick!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/24/13 - 06:40 am
At 78, he'll be lucky to

live until the trial.

Which, likely won't happen for about 5 to 6 months based on court and DA calendar loads.

RCSO has around 2,000 Felony level cases that make it to court a year, according to the AC Database. 21,272+ since the AC database started collecting its data back in 2003. These are just the cases where the RCSO could make and arrest, and the DA determined there was evidence to try for a conviction.

BTW: There has been 10,593 reported crimes (M&F levels) in ARC just since August 23, 2012.

Too be fair and balanced.
This amount of crime for a Metro-city of 190k-200k is about average.

We just need to have more judges and utilized the courtrooms 24/6 holding night courts for minor & traffic stuff. Or allow level community courts for the stupid simple non-jail things that JP's use to handle in the 1800's until the 1970's.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/24/13 - 07:36 am
Old School method

In the 60's and 70's more than one of these child rapists, that were caught in the act, were buried head down in little extra wide and deep telephone pole hole with some back fill.

As the gossip goes.

But it still makes me wonder every time I see a Telephone pole 4 to 5 feet lower than others, or extra pole in the backyard that seem out of place, unneeded and leans a little too much.

curly123053
curly123053 08/24/13 - 08:00 am
Shameful!

To the poster and others wondering why the girl waited so long to report this abuse it could be any number of reasons. During my 22 years in EMS I once got a subpoena to testify for the prosecution in a child molestation case. This girl had been molested repeatedly by what was supposed to be a "trusted member of the family". It turns out this guy made that girl feel like she was doing something wrong, so she kept quiet. Finally she told her mom and her ordeal ended. There can be any number of reasons why victims do not come forward right away, from fear to feeling guilty, and being threatened or having family members threatened with bodily harm if they say anything. The man in the trial I testified in got 15 yrs which was not enough for me considering what he did to that girl.
Many victims stay quiet about different types of abuse, from domestic violence to sexual assault and molestation, and when they finally get the courage to step forward these victims are deserving of justice. Neither one of these victims should be made to feel they did anything wrong, no matter how long it took for them to step up.

Brhodes24
Brhodes24 08/24/13 - 10:34 am
Shame on all of you

If all of you realized all the comments being made about him being castrated are comments about an innocent man you would feel horrible, or you should, this is my grandfather, i know him like the back of my hand, i'd bet my life he didnt do it because i know what has happened here and that certain people have alot to gain by setting him up. Hes married to a gold digger wife who wants him out of the picture either locked up for life or dead so she can get her hands on everything he has, his multi million dollar home with a private golf course, a pond, a in-ground pool, 5 cars, she has alot to gain here, did any of you know that about 6 months ago he fell out in the floor unable to breathe due to lung problems and screamed for his wife to help him, she walked down the hall way, looked at him laying there and kept walking, SHE WAS GOING TO LET HIM DIE RIGHT THERE!!! My uncle luckily showed up, she wouldnt even let him in the house to check on him, he forced his way in past her and when he dialed 911 she was so mad she spit in his face! Did yall also know that her child doesnt like my grandfather either because he actually disciplines her unlike her mother who does nothing when she acts up or her dead beat father who has been in prison since right before she was born till right before the arrest was made, thats a funny coincidence dont you think? He gets out of prison and this happens all of a sudden? This same "innocent" little girl as yall call her, has made comments to me on multiple occasions about how she cant wait till hes gone and she gets everything, shes lying through her dang teeth, the story doesnt even make sense, part of it says "he stuck his male part in my female part" well since he cant even get an erection i would think that'd be a little impossible to do. And dont even say they make pills for that cause those dont work on him either, nothing does, he is incapable of having sex with anyone. Also there was no hard evidence to arrest him with, they arrested him on nothing but the words of the child, that was their only evidence here. Theres alot more evidence i could give you that shows these are false allegations but what i have told you so far should be enough to make you think twice about whether he's really a molester or not, have a nice day everyone.

Darby
Darby 08/24/13 - 10:49 am
"I just curious as to why the child waited

seven years before telling her father."

Who is to say? Some will NEVER tell and will live out their lives and take their secret to the grave.

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/24/13 - 10:58 am
Welllll. you'se all, I have a tattoo that has a set

of numerals, "13 1/3," It means: 12 Jurymen, 1 Judge and NOT a third of a chance! Nuff said!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/24/13 - 12:26 pm
Brhodes24 - you have shed new light on this

I for one am wondering what the complete facts are now.

What many of us heard on the radio, was that the 13y/o had details that would have required her to have private knowledge, and made her story believable.

As a parent I went off the deep end.

Your side of the story now presents a creditable process where she could have learned about certain details via her mother.

BTW: about what is the age of the 78 y/o mans wife?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/24/13 - 12:54 pm
WOW Brhodes24

I can't give you a thumbs up or a downer. I just hope you can back up everything that you have stated.

Multi Million Dollar Estate.....WOW again!

Brhodes24
Brhodes24 08/24/13 - 01:08 pm
Nocnoc

Im not completely positive of the mothers age but its somewhere around her early 40's. yes thats very young for him, but he fell in love with her so he married her, but shes only with him for the money, thats for sure. There have been MANY young girls in the family and daughters of people who visited and even spent the night in his home, as the daughters of a woman that rented the trailer next to his house from him, these daughters of this woman stayed home alone in this trailer on his property all the time and he never did anything at all. including both of my little sisters, they have stayed the night there too, again nothing ever happened. he never made any sexual remarks towards them so why would he do so with this girl?? It makes no sense, none of it does. This case is nothing but a setup. But i sincerely thank you for having an open mind and looking at both sides of the story. I appreciate it and i hope everyone else that reads my comments does the same.

Brhodes24
Brhodes24 08/24/13 - 01:13 pm
Cobaltgeorge

Yes i can back up everything i have said, and so can every member of my family, and yes? Multi million dollar estate. You think im lying? If so i dont see why, i have no reason to. If you dont believe what im saying go down to the south augusta flea market and ask glen rhodes about all this, hes the uncle that saved his life i was referring to, he can back up every word of my story.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/24/13 - 01:46 pm
I Think Brhodes24

that you need a little private conversation with his attorney.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/24/13 - 02:02 pm
Question?

Why would he have a trailer for rent next to his multi million dollar home?

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/24/13 - 02:42 pm
Just ran a database

To avoid any privacy issues, I will not post the URL info.

But, YES 90+ Acres worth $$$$$$$$$
If I am looking at the correct Sat-pics, I am seeing what looks like an old Golf Course with ponds and much more or a course under
development.

With a big house with 8 rooms with many add ons and upgrades since it was built 1991. Worth $$$$$$$$$$$. A couple out buildings.

So yes, there is big money at play in this drama.

I guess I'll sit on the fence post for a while, to see how this story develops in the AC and WRDW.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/24/13 - 02:58 pm
Well now

I guess that puts a new twist on things..doesn't it!

I will leave this one alone.

Brhodes24
Brhodes24 08/24/13 - 03:16 pm
Cobaltgeorge

The trailer is only there because he lived in it back in 1991 while he was building the house there before it was finished, he uses it for storage, but on multiple occasions people in the family have needed a place to stay and he would rent it to them for as long as they needed it. The rent he charged them only covered the power bill and other utilities. And everything i have said here my grandfather is discussing with his lawyer as we speak.