Jury selection begins in toddler murder trial

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 1:36 PM
Last updated 6:49 PM

MARIETTA, Ga. — Prosecutors and lawyers defending a teen accused of shooting to death a toddler in a Brunswick stroller began the process of picking a jury.

The 12-member jurors will decide whether De’Marquise Elkins is guilty of murder, aggravated assault, attempted robbery and cruelty to children. His mother, Karimah Aisha Elkins is also on trial for evidence tampering and giving police false information.

De’Marquise Elkins is accused of the March death of 13-month-old Antonio Angel Santiago on a Brunswick street while his mother, Sherry West, pushed his stroller.

The case was moved to Cobb County Superior Court because of the level of news coverage, but all but 11 of the 45 prospective jurors said they had heard something about the case. All but three said in questioning Monday morning that they could set aside what they knew so far and try the case fairly based on courtroom testimony.

The Cobb County residents making up the pool of prospective jurors include 27 women and eight minorities, including a pastor, a pregnant woman and several with children younger than 2 years old.

Darby
Darby 08/19/13 - 05:42 pm
I too would carefully listen to, and weigh the

evidence before voting to hang the degenerate animal.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/19/13 - 06:45 pm
The baby was at fault

for being white and threatening a black punk from earning an honest living in the black community. Just ask the naacp, cbc, sclc, splc, urban league and al sharpton?

Gage Creed
19385
Gage Creed 08/19/13 - 07:31 pm
Justice for Antonio

Justice for Antonio

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 08/20/13 - 04:44 am
I hope he gets a fair trial

I hope he gets a fair trial and if he is truly guilty of this crime, an appropriate sentence. I don't think they still hang people in a civilized society, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure I believe that someone who shoots an innocent baby between the eyes can be rehabilitated, so a death sentence seems appropriate.

corgimom
corgimom 08/20/13 - 06:22 am
I'd give him the Black Needle

I'd give him the Black Needle and never blink an eye. I would be doing society a favor.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/20/13 - 06:22 am
I understand what you are

I understand what you are saying panther; but this level of heinousness needs the death penalty, regardless of the potential for rehabilitation.

As I've said before, if it wasn't for the bleeding hearts, we could have a prison or prison wing dedicated to people like him where they look at 4 walls 23/7, and are let out into a cage by themselves for one hour. No contact with other lifers, and food shoved through the door.

I could accept that as an alternative to death considering the costs involved with death row people.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/20/13 - 07:11 am
One innocent baby

Can the Cobb jury keep their cool.....it will be tough..the females who tried to cover up this deed need to pay a high price too.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/20/13 - 09:13 am
Now here's

a story the negroes could use to show some humanity. 13 month old Antonio Angel Santiago was assassinated by a useless teenage black thug punk. The child did not attack either elkins but was shot down in cold blood. trayvon martin has reached sainthood because he was more than likely a thug punk and killed because of his aggression. blacks will never get it. They whine and cry foul when life is handed to them on a gold platter. No Class.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/20/13 - 09:19 am
By the way,

Cobb county is the county below me. The influx of Atlanta's black and Hispanic gangs has had a major surge in recent years. The elkin's lowyers will seek jurors from Mableton, Austell and Smyrna. Bastions of gangland.

Darby
Darby 08/20/13 - 10:06 am
@ pantherluvcik - I was speaking

(writing actually) somewhat metaphorically when I referenced the word ''hang", but as long as he gets what's coming and has his life terminated, with a minimum of delay, then the method is inconsequential.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/20/13 - 10:42 am
I think based on his age the

I think based on his age the death penalty isn't on the table - it would more likely be life without parole. I could be wrong, though...

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 08/20/13 - 10:59 am
It's not a death penalty

It's not a death penalty case. If convicted, he either gets life without parole or life with the possibility of parole.

urright
urright 08/20/13 - 11:43 am
SCOTUS

The death penalty has been ruled as cruel and unusual for juveniles (which they are until they're 18) by federal standerds. Darn.

Darby
Darby 08/22/13 - 09:13 pm
Either way,

I predict a shorter than normal life span for this one.

Those who live by .... die by....