Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Robber holds gun to child's head during home invasion

Police seek 2 men after home robbed

Friday, Aug 16, 2013 4:53 PM
Last updated 9:52 PM

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is looking for two men – one of whom is accused of holding a gun to a toddler’s head – after a home invasion early Thursday.

Back | Next
Hall
Hall

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

About 1:45 a.m., deputies went to the 2500 block of Drayton Drive, where Van­to­ria McNair, 24, and Demarco White, 28, said four armed men entered their home and demanded they hand over a “package,” according to a news release.

During the robbery, one of the suspects, Earl Hall, 25, of Byron Place, grabbed Mc­Nair’s 1-year-old child by the throat, put a gun the toddler’s head and threatened to shoot, an incident report said. McNair and White denied having the package and when the men began to search the house for it, fled with their children to a neighbor’s house and called 911.

Police have warrants charging Hall with armed robbery, burglary, aggravated assault, cruelty to children and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Jarrell Anthony Walker, 26, formerly of Drayton Drive, is being sought on charges of armed robbery, burglary and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Anyone with information can contact the Criminal Investigation Division at (706) 821-1020.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/16/13 - 05:05 pm
Barton Village area

I think that pretty much covers anything that can be said why.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/16/13 - 05:28 pm
Remember

The toddler in the baby carriage who was shot on the street in Brunswick?
A new low.

corgimom
corgimom 08/16/13 - 05:46 pm
Drayton Drive was rough 30

Drayton Drive was rough 30 years ago.

I just "wonder" what the "several items" were.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/16/13 - 05:51 pm
Know the area

Had buddies in the area in the 70's & VERY early 80's.
We all use to sneak down into the woods to get to the Ft. Gordon swimming hole. Or head over to the Iron Coffins Cycle Haven for drinks.

The Area sure has changed a lot, but so have I.

Pops
Pops 08/16/13 - 05:52 pm
They do not need to be arrested

They are just young, misguided children. Some counseling and education is in order. This so-called crime is nothing more than underprivileged youth reaching out for help........if only they had jobs........

mc
mc 08/16/13 - 06:39 pm
MUG SHOTS

I see they already have mug shots. Another sign of catch and release.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/16/13 - 06:43 pm
I wonder

...if they catch the guy who held a gun to the baby's head, do you think he'll get at least 20 years?

chascushman
chascushman 08/16/13 - 06:54 pm
"The Richmond County

"The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is looking for two men – one of whom held a gun to a toddler’s head – in connection with a Thursday morning home invasion."

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/16/13 - 06:56 pm
Not a

black man! Tell me it ain't so?

Farmboy
Farmboy 08/16/13 - 07:45 pm
Karma

There is no escape.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/16/13 - 08:04 pm
Drayton in Barton Chapel Road

Drayton in Barton Chapel Road area was rough. So was the Drayton in Hephzibah area. Only time Barton Chapel area cleaned up was when Moses Todd and Reverend Bobby Hankerson were working hard to clean up the area. I had a lot more hope then.

myfather15
myfather15 08/16/13 - 09:35 pm
Items taken not listed;

Items taken not listed; suspect was not wearing a mask and was identified by name; something doesn't sound right here. All too often, you see dealers in these areas rob each other. During these robberies, the suspects ASSUME the victims won't report it, because they are robbing them of narcotics and MONEY gained from the sell of narcotics. They assume the victim's don't want to report it because they don't want to tell the police the actual items taken; this happens all to often. Why else would a robber go in without a mask? Probably the only reason this was reported, is because the thug pointed a firearm at their child.

Just some speculation based upon the little know facts about the case. Something to think about!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/16/13 - 09:38 pm
Many times, the victim's will

Many times, the victim's will report regular household items taken, that weren't actually taken. Then when we catch the offenders, they tell us what was actually taken; which is usually narcotics and money!! This actually hurts the case, somewhat; because it shows the victims are not being honest. IF, this is the case and I'm not saying it is.

MBCarlton
MBCarlton 08/16/13 - 10:44 pm
Both are charged with

Both are charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Proof that criminals don't adhere to gun laws.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/16/13 - 10:48 pm
I read the headline an had an

I read the headline an had an immediate opinion. (My bad). Then I read the article and then I realized the headline was only meant for people to read the article. Then I read MyFather15's comments and I have come to these conclusions:
-MyFather15 is more plugged into what is REALLY going on out there than I (and most others) will ever have hoped to be. His comments on the wrongful sentence by judge Ennis caused me to look on him in an entire different way.
-MyFather15 strikes me as a good, honest officer. He looks for the good in the world and when he sees wrong, he tries to right it. In our outside lives we have disagreements but if it came down to it, he would protect me just like he would protect anyone else. He stands by the oath from which he is sworn.
-I think it would be a good thing if MyFather15 were my next door neighbor. Better yet, my friend. Then I would listen (I mean REALLY listen) to his innermost feelings. I'm pretty sure he would do the same for me.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 08/16/13 - 11:10 pm
I don't understand

why, if you live in that area, and if you ply in the trade (the package), and if you know it is in the house....the article wouldn't read "Four shot during home invasion". I am not in that area, i do not ply that trade, and there is nothing in my house these ruffians would seek other than normal items to burglarize.....but they would be D.R.T. when the deputies arrived. I just don't understand...

EvilTessmacher
EvilTessmacher 08/17/13 - 01:00 am
@ chascushman "More results

@ chascushman
"More results of the Great Society. Thank you liberals/progressives, democrats and black leaders."

If you think otherwise, then you are part of the problem.

Darby
Darby 08/17/13 - 01:47 am
"Proof that criminals don't adhere to

gun laws."

You needed proof??

JaneGoodall
JaneGoodall 08/17/13 - 02:51 am
apes and monkeys, monkeys and apes

behold! the north american pavement ape

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 03:09 am
EvilTess

“Just like a neocon... Blame someone else and try to make them afraid of the enemy. The fact is, the reason things like this happen is because CEO salaries have gone up 237% since 1970, while the average workers' salary has gone up 0.3%. If the Minimum wage had kept pace with the cost of living, it would be $22.71 per hour.
If you think otherwise, then you are part of the problem.”

EvilT – I think otherwise.

How many CEO's are there? Just for the sake of argument, lets divide their salary increases over the entire reg peeps population. You've fallen into the envy trap! The “average” worker excels at his/her job until he/she is no longer considered an “average worker”. At which point he/she is promoted.

Wait! What is that? You can't have individuals excelling because it may make the rest look bad? Call your union hall and move to Russia or China! Ooops did I say Russia or China? They seemed to have learned their lesson. I should say call your union hall in Detroit or Chicago.

A foreign concept I'm sure!

jmo
jmo 08/17/13 - 05:10 am
Young Fred

You totally lost her. One thing you forgot to add is that these thugs don't want, and wouldn't take, an honest job regardless the minimum wage. They want to start as CEO, but they can't spell "CEO".

myfather15
myfather15 08/17/13 - 05:16 am
GAD

Thanks, and you're right; I would protect you, anyone and everyone. I only wish to protect more, not less.

Also, if you and I were neighbors I believe we would be friends. We might not have to many discussions on the Bible, but you don't have to have those, to be friends. ;)

myfather15
myfather15 08/17/13 - 05:28 am
Eviltessmacher

For the sake of argument; let's say you're right. Because I do believe they do this for money and power, but more on the power side. I don't believe it's the evil CEO's fault either, at least not all of them.

I know this can't be proven, but I'm going to say it anyway; because I firmly believe it. With irresponsible people like the ones doing this crime; if you gave them 2 million dollars, they would be broke within a year. They would buy luxury houses, cars, jewelry, spending 10's of thousands partying, etc. Then they wouldn't be able to pay the taxes on their stuff. What happens when they're broke again and resorting back to this type of life? Do we give them more money?

When are people going to learn, you can NOT fix society with MONEY!! We didn't make the education system better by spending RECORD amounts. Why? Because no matter how much MONEY you give the schools, education starts at HOME!!

As a matter of fact; education, discipline, respect, love, honor, integrity and compassion all start at HOME!! Guess what else starts at home? Substance abuse, profanities, disrespect, narcissistic behavior, stealing, etc.

myfather15
myfather15 08/17/13 - 05:31 am
If a child grows up in a

If a child grows up in a house with all those negatives, they never had a chance to begin with!! That behavior becomes the "Norm" for them. They've never seen anything different. The 17 year old that was given life without parole, I promise you; he grew up on one of these homes!! Now, I'm NOT calling for full compassion and sympathy; he is going right where he needs to be. I'm just stating truthes. They never had a chance!!

corgimom
corgimom 08/17/13 - 05:32 am
"The reason people commit

"The reason people commit crimes like this is because they want money and power. Not for any other reason."

Not for any other reason.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 05:49 am
jmo

"CEO" is a tough one for sure! Methinks that they would spell it E V I L. Just a feeling 'cause there's nothing more evil, am I right?

I'm sure an appointed bureaucrat would do a much better job! Let's see, someone with absolutely no business experience and appointed by the anointed one. Ya that should work just fine.

Can't spell CEO - good one!

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 05:46 am
Corgimom

"'The reason people commit crimes like this is because they are evil, antisocial sociopaths. Not for any other reason."'

I hate to point this out, but you obviously have "issues".

Tis not his fault, he's purely a product of his environment. Follow me here. Bush caused a meltdown within the depressed areas. Obama promised a relief, but could not overcome the purposeful stomp down of unlucky, misfortunate peoples.

I find it hard to believe you'd say such about the merely unfortunate!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 07:51 am
Shared everything in grade school

I think a few posters must have grown up sharing all their goods in the 1st grade....because they think all should share everything in real life too...that is evil thinking..imho.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/17/13 - 07:58 am
seenit

I don't know about evil - dangerous and destructive maybe.

Wait a minute, hmmm, dangerous and destructive could be considered evil...hmm.

Yep, evil about sums it up!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/13 - 08:10 am
Young Fred

You can find evil in everything...lol

Turn it up--turn it over--& turn it loose!