Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Burglar eats, then steals at Augusta home

Thursday, Aug 15, 2013 8:38 PM
Last updated 10:39 PM

Richmond County sheriff’s deputies say a burglar who recently ransacked an Augusta home cooked some food and sat in the living room to eat before leaving with $80 in cash and antiques.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Investigators collected an open water bottle and an empty stir fry package as evidence Thursday to help identify who broke into the home in the 1900 block of Howard Avenue.

The property owner, who does not live at the vacant residence, discovered someone had broken into the house around 1 p.m.

When she arrived, the rear door was open, a nearby window was broken and a $25 antique box, $5 vase and $50 in change were missing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/16/13 - 05:27 am
$50 in change

$50 in change. Kind of strange.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/16/13 - 05:28 am
Its the roaches, its the roaches. Call the exterminator.

Its the roaches, its the roaches. Call the exterminator.

myfather15
myfather15 08/16/13 - 06:25 am
I had the same type incident, that resulted in tragedy!!

Woman came home and found a man in her home, eating a bowl of cereal! She screamed and told him she was calling the police, he took off running out the back door, into the street and was hit by a vehicle and died on scene.

ARC fan
ARC fan 08/16/13 - 07:14 am
I too had almost identical breakin several years ago.

Came home one day to home in Country Club Hills to find house totally ransacked, rear window broken out. However after putting everything back together the only thing missing was some loose change I had in a jar. Other valuables not touched. Then found where they had cooked some hamburgers and drank my cokes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/13 - 08:17 am
Loose change in a jar

I can see that happening.....some of us have saved the change & it adds up.

my.voice
my.voice 08/16/13 - 08:29 am
Who keeps food and that kind

Who keeps food and that kind of loot at a vacant residence?

allhans
allhans 08/16/13 - 08:37 am
my.voice just asked the

my.voice just asked the question I was wondering about. It doesn't seem like the kind of items that would be left behind if you vacated a house.

myfather15
myfather15 08/16/13 - 09:01 am
You can clearly see how some

You can clearly see how some people simply despise me and will thumbs down ANY comment by me. This wasn't even opinion, just a simple story of an incident I worked. I think the Chronicle needs to do like facebook; on facebook when you scroll over the "likes" it tells you who liked it. They should do the same for the thumbs. Enough of the blind thumbs, lol.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/16/13 - 09:33 am
That dang dope!

It will give you the munchies! LOL!

fatherinevans
fatherinevans 08/16/13 - 09:50 am
my father15

that was no tragedy.... that was Kharma !!! = 1 less robber off the street.

David Parker
David Parker 08/16/13 - 10:33 am
Has to be...

the work of the Hamburglar

Darby
Darby 08/16/13 - 10:48 am
We've all been there.

Well, maybe not all, but large numbers of us, and the number is growing.

When I walked in on "my" burglar, I made the instant decision to go down to the Marshall's office and get my CWC permit.

It's a sad commentary on life today, but I sleep with one of my weapons under my pillow and never fail to have one on me, even when working in my yard.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/16/13 - 11:59 am
Two points

1. I totally agree with MyFather at 10:01am. No more anonymity.

2. Except the theft of a few things outside our home, we've been spared these miserable events, thank the Lord. Nevertheless, I sleep with a gun within easy and practiced reach, and we have a dog that is ever so good at sounding the alarm as he runs away from the remotest possibility of danger.

myfather15
myfather15 08/16/13 - 02:46 pm
fatherinevans

Although I agree with your comment; people breaking into others homes, get what they get; but when your standing there looking at another human being, that was alive just a few short minutes ago and now his body is mangled and torn; Karma is NOT what you are thinking about. It hits you in the pit of your stomach!! It's not a good feeling, to say the least.

Darby
Darby 08/16/13 - 02:55 pm
Oh, dear.....

...the thumb troll is afraid I might "Zimmerman" some poor parasitic thug who violates the sanctity of my home.

And he's absolutely right!

BTW - "My burglar" was Caucasian, under 20, with blond hair and blue eyes. But if he, or anyone invades my home again, he's toast.

urright
urright 08/16/13 - 08:19 pm
Hungry

Poor thing was just hungry. We need to give them all more food stamps, better housing, and a nice bag so they won't drop any of the things they steal from our homes.