Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

4 car break-ins reported on Wheeler Lake Road

Wednesday, Aug 7, 2013 9:33 PM
Last updated 11:49 PM

Thieves ransacked four vehicles on Wheeler Lake Road taking a gun, bookbag and wallet containing $200 cash.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Victims reported the car break-ins Wednesday morning, and at least three said the incidents occurred overnight, according to Richmond County reports.

The fourth victim said her car, containing the missing backpack, was broken into between Friday and Wednesday morning.

Two vehicles were not locked – the one with the wallet and another from which nothing was stolen.

The vehicle containing the .40-caliber Smith & Wesson gun had marks on the driver’s side door where a device was used to gain entry, police said.

The car break-ins were in the 5000 and 5100 blocks of Wheeler Lake Road off Wheeler Road in west Augusta.

like-it-is
like-it-is 08/07/13 - 10:21 pm
LIGHTS

This area might be in need of New outside Lighting. Just saying

wildman
wildman 08/08/13 - 03:57 am
Can't believe

I can't believe people still leave valuables in the car plus unlocked. Whatever!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 06:13 am
Had a visitor myself back in June

Motion Security lights and security cameras had him leaving as quickly as they came on.

Even posted pictures of him around the area stores.

But Leaving a pistol in the car overnight?
Would you leave your daughter in the car overnight?

A pistol should stay loaded and on the nightstand next to a small 600 lum flashlight and the driveway alarm.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 06:28 am
You need this

Motion security lights.....get them.

Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady 08/08/13 - 06:39 am
Apartments

This is what happens when apartments come into an area. All of these break ins that have occurred in this area have been traced to the apartments located nearby. I am sure that these are no exception.

I agree people are foolish to leave their cars unlocked and/or leave valuables in the car.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 08/08/13 - 07:01 am
I leave my car unlocked at my

I leave my car unlocked at my house every night and I do it because a thief will find a way in whether you lock it or not. I would rather them open an unlocked door than to break a window or damage my vehicle to find out that I do not leave valuables in my car. Makes sense to me, but I would never leave anything of value in there. Especially a gun or wallet.

Ego556
Ego556 08/08/13 - 07:02 am
vehicle break-ins in

vehicle break-ins in Augusta...why is this even news? it's a daily occurrence. and quite honestly if you're dumb enough to leave valuables in your vehicle, you deserve to be a victim. what kind of moron leaves a gun in their vehicle?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/13 - 07:09 am
To this

vehicle break-ins in Augusta...why is this even news? it's a daily occurrence

It isn't in all parts of the country....some areas you can leave the car unlocked & actually feel safe in your home....no, not in Richmond county......try the North Ga mountains.

The reason so many retirees move there. One of the reasons I should say.

allhans
allhans 08/08/13 - 07:32 am
Would a person have to prove

Would a person have to prove to their insurance company that this occurred? Like the gun thing.

bdouglas
bdouglas 08/08/13 - 07:47 am
@allhans

A police report is what proves it to your insurance company. At least for the one with the gun, since that was one of the vehicles that was secured. If your vehicle was unlocked then I would doubt you have any recourse with insurance. Besides that, most folks I know have a deductible of at least $500.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/08/13 - 09:43 am
FORCED ENTRY vs. UNLOCKED

For those that leave you car unlocked, why not also leave the keys it ?

But keep in mind Forced Entry is treated differently by the LAW and some Insurance companies than Unlocked vehicles, or vehicle theft vs joy riding with the Keys left in it.

Either way your deductible is going to cost you to fix the damages, IF it is even covered or recovered. In the mean time you are out $100's of dollars or maybe even a car to get to work in and maybe the even the job without the car.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/08/13 - 09:47 am
Panther and I both leave our vehicles unlocked.

Just as well let a perp open the door without damage and rummage through and be done with it.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/08/13 - 10:14 am
What we need is some "bait

What we need is some "bait 'em in and take 'em out" operations.....public OR private. Tends to put a damper on scumbag thieves.

countyman
countyman 08/08/13 - 10:56 am
Plenty of residents leave

Plenty of residents leave their vehicles unlock without any problems in Richmond County.

Little old lady. The majority of this area is town homes and apartments.. Their we're no single family homes already existence.. The crime rate is VERY low so I don't understand your point.

Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady 08/08/13 - 03:38 pm
Apartments and break ins

This appeared in the April 13, 2013 Chronicle.

"They realize they’ve got to be our eyes and ears,” Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew said of the 1,300 residents who live in townhomes and apartments off of West Wheeler Parkway.

The neighborhood has had about 100 break-ins in the past 15 months."

There have been many, many break ins since April. Not all appear prominently in the Chronicle. Do your homework, Countyman. Most of those caught were from the apartments there. You need to face reality. Apartments always bring crime and lower property values. I don't know what you consider VERY LOW. But over 100 break ins is not low to me.

By the way, their is a possessive pronoun, there means "in that place." And there are single family residences in that area. Hillcreek, The Meadows. All within fence climbing distance of two sets of apartments.

southern2
southern2 08/08/13 - 06:31 pm
Crime was unheard of in this

Crime was unheard of in this area before the Amli Way apartments, billed as a "luxury" development and then turned into a Section 8 magnet. Dare to ride through there.

countyman
countyman 08/08/13 - 06:34 pm
Little old Lady... Please

Little old Lady... Please show me any reports of violent crime in the area? The article you provided is related to a spike in burglaries thanks to one person. The police arrested one person, and not multiple suspects... Please show me where multiple suspects were arrested and tracked backed to the apartments? The single family homes aren't located off Wheler West Pkwy.

An Augusta man wanted in burglaries in the west Wheeler, Bertram Road and Perimeter Park­way neighborhoods was caught Saturday in Pennsylvania.

This isn’t Stripling’s only run-in with the law. He was indicted on drug charges and 10 counts of burglary and sentenced in October 2003. He had posed as a utility worker to get into west Augusta apartments, according to Augusta Chronicle reports.

countyman
countyman 08/08/13 - 06:48 pm
Southern 2... The man

Southern 2... The man responsible for the property crimes in the article Little Lady provided. He didn't live in the apartment complex(Amili Way) off Augusta West Pkwy...

The suspect included one middle age white man, and not muiple bored teenagers.

People are very quick to call anything section 8 also. I think sometimes it's related to race, and not actual facts. The apartments in Augusta over $500 aren't section 8.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/08/13 - 07:08 pm
Allegation without supporting facts

Countyman wrote:

The apartments in Augusta over $500 aren't section 8.

I challenge you to submit a single document from the Augusta Housing Authority to back up your assertion, which I hereby declare to be false. There are plenty of landlords in Augusta who charge more than $500 a month who have Section 8 tenants.

countyman
countyman 08/08/13 - 07:45 pm
Please name one apartment

The apartments who really do have a large number of section 8 tenants like River Glenn in East Augusta are much lower than $500 per month.

southern2
southern2 08/08/13 - 08:09 pm
Countyman....My post

Countyman....My post obviously wasn't directed at the crook recently captured in Pennsylvania. I've lived here for years and have personally experienced the wrath of Amili Way and seen the decline brought by this development.

Also, when did using the term Section 8 become a racial slur?

Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady 08/09/13 - 07:53 am
This occurred in Hillcreek. I

This occurred in Hillcreek. I think it is called a home invasion. I can name more if you want. The three were from Amli Way. They rang his doorbell and forced their way into his home while armed with guns. Is that violent enough for you? Please stop trying to protect criminals.

A 73-year-old man told authorities three gunmen forced their way into his home after he answered the doorbell around 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 27.

The men robbed the man and his wife of electronics and cash before fleeing.

Authorities charged Larry Williams, 21, of the 1700 block of Brown Road and James Roundtree, 17, of the 1000 block of Amli Way, with the robbery.

Charges against Williams were dropped Wednesday, according to Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Bill Leisey.

Roundtree is still being charged with the crime. Authorities also charged Dennis Gordon, 19, and Favian James, 17, with the crime on Wednesday.

bdouglas
bdouglas 08/09/13 - 07:58 am
"Please name one apartment

"Please name one apartment complex with the majority residents being section 8 were the lowest rents are $500?"

No one ever said anything about a "majority" of residents being Section 8. And I had no problem following LL's comment meaning that there are plenty of places where the NORMAL rent is $500+ at the places where Section 8 vouchers are accepted...meaning the Section 8 folks clearly pay substantially less than that.

Darby
Darby 08/09/13 - 03:09 pm
"Would you leave your daughter in the car

overnight?"

Well, maybe.... if she's holding onto the 40 cal.

Turkeys taste own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.