Macon jogger awarded $350,000 in pit bull attack

Friday, Aug 2, 2013 8:19 AM
Last updated 7:46 PM

MACON, Ga. — A judge has awarded a $350,000 judgment to a retired postal worker who was attacked by a pair of pit bulls while he was out jogging two years ago in Macon.

Retired postal worker Jack “Sonny” Henderson recalled that he was in danger of bleeding to death on the street.

His attorney, Jeffrey Powers, said the dogs severed an artery in his arm. Two women -- Tymeka Bryant and Christy Martino -- happened to be driving by when they saw the dogs mauling Henderson.

The Telegraph reports (http://bit.ly/1ciGFln) that Martino grabbed a baseball bat and ran the dogs off before putting a tourniquet on Henderson’s arm.

On Monday, Bibb County State Judge William Adams awarded the 65-year-old Henderson the $350,000 judgment based on his injuries, medical treatment and lingering effects.

Comments (17)

raul
raul 08/02/13 - 08:28 am

And what action was taken

And what action was taken against the owner of the pit bulls?

corgimom
19208
corgimom 08/02/13 - 08:54 am

A police officer shot the

A police officer shot the female dog, Jaida, and the male pit bull, Chevy, ran off. He was later impounded at the Animal Control shelter, the owner paid $100 in a fine, and the dog was released to him.

The dogs had been left with the owner's cousin. The owner had recently moved from a house with a large fenced yard, and the cousin was housing the dogs in a dog pen.

“I don’t know what got into my female because my dogs are not vicious,” Thomas said.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/23/1674399/dog-attack-victim-credits-women....

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 08/02/13 - 09:01 am

Hope She Has Good Insurance

Hope her homeowner's insurance was paid up. Of course, they'll probably drop her.

avidreader
avidreader 08/02/13 - 10:05 am

Pit Bulls!

I am speaking from experience: MOST people I know that have Pit Bulls will insist that theirs' are affectionate, sweet pups. Until the dog snaps and rips a chunk of face from the friend of the family who has known the dog intimately since it was a puppy. These dogs' brains are wired differently from the average mutt or AKA poodle. And yes, someone will attempt to discredit my opinion with a sweet story about how the family Pit Bull cuddles with the kids and rides a skateboard. But I will not be swayed in my belief. And, I also have two additional stories about Pitt Bulls that snapped.

Seems to me that Mr. Henderson should have been awarded a lot more than $350,000.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/02/13 - 10:07 am

“I don’t know what got into

They are pit bulls is what got into them. Predictably unpredictable.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/02/13 - 10:39 am

I've known people who have

I've known people who have had pit bulls, and say the same things - they are sweet, loveable, etc. If the dangerous reputation came from pit pulls who were "trained" to attack, then that's one thing -there are more and more cases of these sweet family dogs attacking out of nowhere - that points to a predisposition in the breed in my opinion.

On a twisted humor note - it's kinda ironic this guy was a retired postal worker - aren't they famous for getting chased by dogs?? I guess it could be argued he had the predisposition for being chased by a dog... nyuck, nyuck!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/02/13 - 11:18 am

I'd like to meet Christy Martino.

It sounds like she knows how to handle a situation and is willing to step up and get of the vehicle to do it.

No TM pun intended, just glad we have people like her in GA with the MOXIE and are willing to step up and do something.

Would like to see a story on her and the other rescuer.

Sad to say, the owners of PIT BULLS now of days typically do not have $350K legally, or carry the Homeowners insurance policy to pay it out either.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/02/13 - 11:27 am

Have owned several Pits in my days

Not one was mean or attacked the cat, neighbors or our kids.

In fact BEFORE it was cool and gangster to parade and fight them in some sub cultures. They were called Nanny Dogs, because they were great with kids.

An like people, dogs have mean streaks or family blood lines within each group that run mean/fighting or gentle.

Usually back in the 70's AKC Show were the safe blood line.
I always let my wife pick out the dog and she always went with the color of the Gums.

ken8375309
ken8375309 08/02/13 - 12:03 pm

Ticking time bombs.

Ticking time bombs. Legislation needs to be passed requiring owners to maintain a minimum of 1 million in liability insurance, if one chooses to own such a breed.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/02/13 - 01:19 pm

Here we go again

So I will quote a liberal news media source
CBSNews.com
“A study performed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the CDC, and the Humane Society of the United States. The study showed that the most popular large breed dogs at any one time were consistently on the list of breeds that bit fatally. (more of them so likely the odds)

There were a high number of fatal bites from Doberman pinschers in the 1970s, for example, because Dobermans were very popular at that time and there were more Dobermans around, and because Dobermans’ size makes their bites more dangerous.

The number of fatal bites from pit bulls rose in the 1980s for the same reason, and the number of bites from Rottweilers in the 1990s.”
------ end quoted section ---------

So the analyzed dog bite statistics from the last 20+ years found that the statistics don’t show that any breed is inherently more dangerous than the other.

Naturally I agree, Large or Heavy breeds have the power to inflect serious injury. An, the closer the weight to the victim the more serious the attack can and will be.

Now for the, Lap-Rats obligatory response.
Studies continue to prove that the Dachshund may be the most Aggressive, closely follow by another Lap-Rat the Chihuahua.

So we can't Ban dogs based on aggressiveness.

Also give this some thought,
if we BAN Pits now, it will be replaced by another large breed, which in 5 years will be blamed for all types of mayhem. Then Ban it and it too will be replaced. So the only other option is to kill every dog over 40lbs in the USA and pull every tooth out of the Lap-Rats with ASPCA & PETA breathing down your necks.

OR,
Admit it is the OWNERS, and not so much the dogs.

BTW:
I could say something smart-ended and redneck like:
"You can have my 155 pound puppy once you pry your numb arm from his mouth."

But all he does is runs up to and licks and kisses strangers.
But he does plant himself between us and any visitor.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/02/13 - 01:42 pm

Never heard of a Dachshund,

Never heard of a Dachshund, Chihuahua, Cocker Spaniel, or even a 50 pound Dalmation killing someone.

It isn't the propensity to be aggressive that concerns me, every breed has its bad traits from poor breeding, raising, etc. It is the ferocity of the attack and the ability to do serious harm.

moderate321
moderate321 08/02/13 - 01:57 pm

Labrador Retriever

My lab might lick someone to death or injure them because she wags her tail so hard, but she would never bite someone.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/02/13 - 05:06 pm

We have three

gentle dogs but put them up if someone comes to our home. Some dogs just don't like certain people. My wife and I found this out when a dear friend met a man, brought him to the house and our dogs went ballistic. This "man" turned out to be a convicted child molester. Sometimes our friend has lapses in common sense.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/03/13 - 06:53 am

itsanotherday1 - There are a few Small dog killers

I acknowledge that these are far out numbered by Pits and other breeds.
But, smaller dogs can and do kill.

Some quick examples small killer dogs

2000
October Pomeranian killed a 6 week old Girl
August - A Beagle

2004
Feb - Beagle

Plus WIKI additional Info.
Fatal dog attacks in the United States are a small percentage of the relatively common occurrences of dog bites. While at least 4.5 – 4.7 million Americans (2%) are bitten by dogs every year, only about 0.0002% of these (less than 0.00001% of the U.S. population) result in death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),..."

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/03/13 - 07:16 am

BTW: I had to add fuel to the fire

THE BREED THAT ACTUALLY KILLS THE MOST
Human on Human Homicide: 4.7%

Dog on Human Homicide: less than 0.00001% of the U.S. population
Human on Dog Homicide*: 10.4 million (2010) or 13.3%

* Over 78 million—Number of owned dogs and not counting strays, in the U.S. includes kill shelters, personal putdowns, & Vets.
------------------------
ODD BALL FACT

We're lucky they are NOT in control and BANNING US for killing and aggressiveness.

myfather15
myfather15 08/03/13 - 07:22 am

Wish I could say the same; my

Wish I could say the same; my dog has bit four people and all of them were friends, neighbors and one was the Schwann's man. Luckily, none were injured to require treatment. Most bites were the fault of the person, not the dog and the dog was just letting them know he was not comfortable with what they were doing.

One was a friend and co-worker who had never been to the house. He got out of his truck and didn't see my German; he got a nip on the leg as he as jumping back in the truck. I've got signs all over my front yard saying "Beware of the dog" but the Schwann's man decides to come right on up in my yard; then he found out that was a bad idea.

Bottom line is, my Shepherd was raised with my little girls. If they in the yard, HE is in the yard, period!! That was the main thing we liked about having him. He stays right beside them when they are in the yard playing. It's amazing his natural instinct's of protection and how he is always watching them, like a "Shepherd" over his flock!! So, the bottom line is, if THEY and HE are in the yard, YOU had better not be!!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/03/13 - 07:25 am

My dog is professionally

My dog is professionally trained and he WILL NOT go into the road. He won't leave my yard, even if chasing a cat in hot pursuit he will lock it down right where the pavement begins. He also doesn't ATTACK, he protects!! He's never went after someone in the road and we have MANY in our neighborhood that walkd for exercise. But again; if you're unknown to him, I wouldn't suggest walking up in the yard!!

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 08/03/13 - 08:31 am

Twist of fate

The only thing that could make this story better..... would have been if the postman's name would have been Michael Vick.

corgimom
19208
corgimom 08/03/13 - 08:28 pm

I have 3 dogs. They have

I have 3 dogs. They have never bitten anybody.

But dogs are dogs, and under the right circumstances, any dog will bite. I never assume anything with them.

"One was a friend and co-worker who had never been to the house. He got out of his truck and didn't see my German; he got a nip on the leg as he as jumping back in the truck. "

Your dog, myfather, is extremely aggressive and overprotective. Just like you said, your friend didn't see the signs. You are counting on everybody seeing the signs. A dog that wants to bite everybody that comes into your yard is a disaster waiting to happen, and I don't care how well they are trained. Your dog can't distinguish between friend or foe. And posting signs that say "Beware of the dog" is not a legal defense. What if somebody is lost, and stops and asks for directions? What if somebody is going to someone else's house, and mistakes your house for theirs? What happens when a legitimate worker needs to come onto your property?

What happens when somebody sends something to you through UPS, or Fedex? What happens when a sanitation worker, or postal worker, or street worker, or anybody else needs to come to your door? What happens when your children have guests, and their parents come to pick them up? What happens if a child comes over unannounced, as kids do?

If my dog had bitten 4 people, that dog would no longer reside at my house. Because sooner or later your luck will run out, and your dog will do more than nip someone.

I wouldn't want a dog like that, ever. I hope that you have really good liability insurance, it looks like you'll need it, sooner or later.