Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man jailed after boy, 8, punished after church camp

Thursday, Aug 1, 2013 12:51 PM
Last updated 8:35 PM

Police said an Augusta man punched and hit his stepson with a belt after the boy got into trouble at a summer church camp.

Derrick Alonzo McClattie  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Derrick Alonzo McClattie

According to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, Derrick Alonzo McClattie, 44, picked up the 8-year-old from the camp Wednesday after he got into trouble. They went home, where McClattie punched the child and then beat him in the back, arms and head with a belt, the sheriff’s office said.

The child’s mother notified police after she woke up to his screaming.

The boy was taken to a hospital for cuts to his head, ear and back, and bruising to his shoulder, arm and back.

The physician told police McClattie’s actions resulted in “cruel and excessive pain” for the boy.

McClattie has been booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of first-degree child cruelty.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 08/01/13 - 04:40 pm
Punched him??

if he hit him hard enough to be bruised and cut, he is right where he needs to be...behind bars. Poor excuse for a step-dad.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 08/01/13 - 07:21 pm
Punished?

If this story is correct this child was not punished he was abused! Good for the mother turning him in.

myfather15
myfather15 08/01/13 - 10:17 pm
Absolutely agree!!

This guy deserves to be in jail!!

No one could be more in favor of corporal punishment than me, but this is absolutely ridiculous!! My dad used whatever available to spank us with, including coat hangers, belts, extension cords and many more. BUT, he NEVER struck us in the head with anything!! Some people just don't have the temperament to be a parent!!

Pain=Ok Injury=Not

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/01/13 - 10:40 pm
...

...

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 08/02/13 - 01:09 am
Violence against children

I chose to break the cycle of violence. It was common to be hit by belts, shoes, fly swatters, spatulas, switches, being struck in the face, denied field trips for school, long restrictions, and verbal abuse. I chose not to be that type of parent and haved raised a young adult that attends a top 20 college and is preparing for the future. Do not hit your children, talk to them and teach them right from wrong. Sure, they will make mistakes but we all do! Love them and Love them! They will understand the difference.

myfather15
myfather15 08/02/13 - 05:39 am
Oooh my, congrats galaxy; on that top 20 college!! No really!!

I suppose you're saying that if you had spanked your child, they wouldn't have quite made it to the top 20?

No, I sure they would have had to settle for Georgia, Georgia Tech or maybe even Augusta Tech and that would be shameful now, wouldn't it? We who spank our children, are just a bunch of uneducated morons, who need to break the cycle of "violence", huh?

I just love how people will call disciplining of children "violence". These are the type people that have caused children and teenagers today to be completely out of control and disrespectful to adults all the time. I see it constantly, teenagers simply are NOT afraid of any punishment today. We get the calls all the time to go to homes about unruly juveniles, where the parents say they're completely out of control and won't obey any rules.

We constantly get the same answer to the corporal punishment question; "I didn't know you could still spank them." or "He (child) said if I touch him he will call and get me arrested." Thanks to people like above, who probably advocate breaking the cycle of "violence". It just irritates me to no end; because I know I was spank my entire life growing up and I have NEVER laid my hands upon my wife or any other woman. I have NEVER assaulted another human being as well. It tears me up that you hear some people tout "If you're brought up being HIT (spanked), your have a natural tendency for violence towards women and other people." That is complete CRAP and you can put that in the bank!!

And, for those people who believe somehow that I'm advocating what the creep in THIS article did, STOP BEING A MORON!!!

There is clearly a common sense level to disciplining a child and this criminal exceeded that level by a TON!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 08:48 am
Too much

There is a difference in spanking & a brutal beating....most humans KNOW this.

Yes , I agree...kids need discipline.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/02/13 - 11:12 am
This man beat the child out

This man beat the child out of anger, not discipline; always a mistake. (not saying beating is ever ok) If you discipline calmly, even with a paddling, it will have its desired effect.

GiantsAllDay 08/02/13 - 06:56 pm
MyFather15 wrote "Pain=Ok

MyFather15 wrote "Pain=Ok Injury=Not". Are you saying it is ok to inflict pain on a child as long as it is your own child? I'll give you a chance to change your post as I'm sure you didn't really mean that.

jmo
jmo 08/02/13 - 07:03 pm
Whip his a..,

not his head.

GiantsAllDay 08/02/13 - 08:20 pm
GEEZUZ H CHRIST! Do the

GEEZUZ H CHRIST! Do the people in Augusta, GA REALLY support beating a child as long as there is no permanent injury? Inflicting pain on a child is ok as long as you are the parents? Disgusting.

GiantsAllDay 08/02/13 - 08:27 pm
I

I

GiantsAllDay 08/02/13 - 08:28 pm
I

I

GiantsAllDay 08/02/13 - 08:26 pm
I used to at least respect

I used to at least respect MyFather15 because he is a peace officer. I cannot do that any longer and if is boss is the sheriff Roundtree I would hope he would look into who is working for him. Inflicting pain on a child as long as 1) he is your own child and 2) there is no permanent injury--is ok with you, sheriff Roundtree? Holy crap, I want nothing to do with the RCSO or thier dark ages deputies.

myfather15
myfather15 08/02/13 - 09:43 pm
Giants

Last time I checked, a paddling or spanking; whichever you call it, hurts!!! When My dad did it, it hurt like hades!! But I dang sure didn't do the infraction again!! I'm also still here, conversing with you and I don't have any scars!!!

I don't need to change ANY of my comment, matter of fact; I STAND STRONG for it!!!!!!!!

YOU are the one trying to build it up in peoples minds to be ABUSE, which is something it is NOT!!

A spanking HURTS, hurt and pain is basically the same thing!! When children get spanked and it hurts, they don't want to do the wrongful thing anymore!! Please, save me your liberal jargon about not spanking and timeouts!!!! Timeouts are VERY good tools, but not for EVERY infraction. Spankings are a good discipline tool, but not for every infraction!! Also, after the posts I've seen you make on here, do you honestly believe I give a good ---- what you think about me? Honestly?

How about this, I'll raise my kids and you raise yours!!! If it ever crosses your mind to come to my house and tell me how to raise my kids, you better think twice!!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/02/13 - 09:46 pm
Also, give DFACS a call and

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 06:43 am
" If it ever crosses your

" If it ever crosses your mind to come to my house and tell me how to raise my kids, you better think twice!!!"
I'm pretty sure I was just threatened by MF15--Sean, your opinion?

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 07:11 am
Can somebody please tell me

Can somebody please tell me what sheriff Roundtree's email is? He has a guy working for him that need to be looked into. The sheriffs website has no email address

"I've always believed (probably from Marine Corps training) that what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger!! But there certainly is limits to this, especially with children. There is also a clear difference in causing PAIN, which spankings are suppose to do and are LEGAL, and causing INJURY, which you are NOT to do.

Pain=Ok Injury=Not"

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 10:17 am
"Also, give DFACS a call and

"Also, give DFACS a call and ask them if corporal punishment (spankings on the buttocks) is still legal? You'll find the answer surprising and that it DOES NOT agree with your stance!!!"
These are his own words, folks. DFACS says ok to lay into a child as long as it is for pain only and no permanent marks--I can't go on right now. I just threw up in my mouth.

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 10:31 am
"A spanking HURTS, hurt and

"A spanking HURTS, hurt and pain is basically the same thing!! When children get spanked and it hurts, they don't want to do the wrongful thing anymore"
His words, folks--I mean HOLY CRAP!

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 10:37 am
I just posted this thread on

I just posted this thread on copblock.org. myfather15, you are famous

myfather15
myfather15 08/03/13 - 10:58 am
How is it "Threatening" if

How is it "Threatening" if you tell someone NOT to come to YOUR house? Hhhhmmmmm, the rational logic employed here isn't to rational indeed!!! It's actually laughable!!!

As a law enforcement officer, if someone calls and reports someone threatened them and the only threat was "If you come to my house causing problems, expect me to take action" you know what I'll tell the complainant? Well, Don't go to their house and cause problems!!! How simple is that? You DON'T go to someone else house, forcing your opinions on them or causing problems!!

Hey Giants; good luck with trying to get me in trouble, you won't be the first!!! I never said I work for Sheriff Roundtree and I never said I don't!!! But keep trying sir!!!! I might be from the Augusta area and now live in Ohio, for all you know!!

How do you know for sure I'm a deputy? Boy, you are really grasping as straws on a media website, comments section!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/03/13 - 10:42 am
"I just posted this thread on

"I just posted this thread on copblock.org. myfather15, you are famous"

AND??? Do you really think I honestly care?

myfather15
myfather15 08/03/13 - 10:50 am
If you don't possess the

If you don't possess the rational logic to understand a "saying" which is not meant to be taken literal, then there is no counseling in the world can help you.

"What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger." Was a saying used in the Marine Corps to motivate Marines. Although in theory, it's VERY true, because if we are still alive, we are still learning!! For example, if you're driving 90 mph and wreck your vehicle, flip three times and are ejected, BUT LIVE; you can learn NOT to do this again, but if you die, learning is over!!! Got it? But it's not meant to be taken literal. You choose to avoid every place I mentioned THIS is not acceptable with children.

So I'm taking it that you completely disagree with ANY spanking, paddling type punishment, right? Would you then FORCE your opinion and ways upon others? Even if DFACS and the majority of people believe a spanking is perfectly fine? Then the question is; do spankings hurt? Of course they do!! So please, in all your righteousness, answer these questions. But remember, YOUR opinion is just that and doesn't make it more important, nor does it make your opinion lawful!!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/03/13 - 11:02 am
"DFACS says ok to lay into a

"DFACS says ok to lay into a child as long as it is for pain only and no permanent marks--I can't go on right now. I just threw up in my mouth."

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 11:10 am
Well, at least you admitted

Well, at least you admitted that you don't work for our county and our sheriff. So there is a little comfort in that. But you do hold a badge and gun somewhere. God bless those folks.

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 11:12 am
MyFather15, one thing I was

MyFather15, one thing I was taught by my parents way back in the day: NEVER strike anyone who is smaller weaker or younger than you. And don't ever project your own weaknesses on them.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/03/13 - 11:42 am
What works best totally depends on the child,

his temperament and his age.

An awful lot of parents simply wait too long to intervene with a child's behavior. If a parent would take a kid out of church/the movies/a group activity as soon as he stops responding immediately to low-level correction, and make it clear, even painfully clear, that misbehavior will bring painful consequences, that child would learn how to behave acceptably in public and when outside his parents' immediately control.

If a parent waits to deal with their child's disruption until everyone around them is ready to thump the parent, that poor kid learns he can get away with a lot before anything happens to him. By that time, the parent usually is way past a rational, measured and appropriate response, which is when kids get hurt.

And the kid learns this is how to relate to authority, what it is and how it works. It's a lesson that can ruin a kid's life. It's probably the best evidence of evil's great victories over American families.

The problem most parents have is that their love for their child takes second place to their fear about how their child's actions make them look to other people, or they base their goals for their kid of other people's ideas. Probably more often than not, they just flail away the way their parents did with them. They don't stop and figure out what will work best for their own child, what will lead him to make good choices, without damaging his confidence or his blotting out his awareness of being loved and having obligations to those who love him.

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 11:48 am
Fiat_Lux, your post was well

Fiat_Lux, your post was well written and very well thought out before you submitted it. I appreciate that. If you are able, please tell MyFather15 that little children are not little marines.

GiantsAllDay 08/03/13 - 01:39 pm
To myfather15

"Well, since the Department of Family and Children Services are the ones suppose to originally investigate child abuse cases; you would think you would ask THEM if it's ok to spank or paddle a child. I've worked MANY cases with them and YES; amazingly it's perfectly legal to spank a child on the buttocks, even though that go against the morals and beliefs of a higher intellectual individual, known as giantsallday!!! So you mean to tell me we don't ALL have to adhere to gaintsallday's personal beliefs???"

Please state your municipality and your badge number and go on the record that it is your belief that it is ok to beat a child (a person in your care, smaller and defenseless ) as long as it only hurts (you said pain is ok, as long as there is no image of physical injury) and the scars on the body don't show-- so emotional injury is ok in your police force?