Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Ex-dealership manager accused of theft

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:12 PM
Last updated 9:02 PM

A former manager at an Augusta car dealership is facing charges after being accused of stealing thousands of dollars since June.

Jerry Alan Doss, 53, worked at Sunbelt Nissan on Peach Orchard Road and has been charged with taking money on at least three occasions.

Mike Watson, the vice president at the dealership, told deputies Doss took $8,400 from a customer for a vehicle down payment, wrote the customer a receipt and then filed a bill of sale, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office news release. After the financial director requested the bill of sale, Doss could not explain what happened to the money. Watson told deputies Doss had taken $2,500 and $340 from other customers.

Doss was booked into the Richmond County jail Wednesday on misdemeanor theft by deception charges.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/31/13 - 02:59 pm
He previously worked at

He previously worked at Taylor BMW. What were the circumstances of him leaving there?

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 07/31/13 - 03:16 pm
wWhy not a felony charge

Since when does stealing $11,240 from your employer constitute a misdemeanor charge of theft by deception?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/31/13 - 03:41 pm
There's a reason for my

There's a reason for my earlier question.

David Parker
David Parker 08/01/13 - 07:45 am
I'm guessing it will be

I'm guessing it will be upgraded if sufficient evidence exists or possibly the money plans to be returned.

bdouglas
bdouglas 08/01/13 - 07:58 am
"After Doss’ termination, he

"After Doss’ termination, he e-mailed Watson, saying that he would like to pay the money back and that he didn’t mean to hurt anyone, according to the release."

Translation: Please don't press charges! I'll pay it back, I promise!

avidreader
avidreader 08/01/13 - 09:08 am
Dealership Hoppers!

I'm guessing it is fairly common for car sales people, including managers, to hop from one dealership to another. The three salesmen that I know have all worked at various sites around the CSRA. Selling cars is a high-pressure job. It's probable that many of the workers consider the grass to be greener elsewhere.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/13 - 09:33 am
If I were the DA I'd talk to

If I were the DA I'd talk to Ann Taylor about Doss' problem there.

ragingbull
ragingbull 08/01/13 - 07:30 pm
Repaying the money would not

Repaying the money would not make any difference in how he is charged. $11,240 is certainly a felony charge, so the misdemeanor charge does not make sense. But, "After Doss’ termination, he e-mailed Watson, saying that he would like to pay the money back and that he didn’t mean to hurt anyone," He admitted guilt, and even if he is able to repay the money, he is still guilty of a crime. Sounds like this is the first time any one has ever pressed charges. If the misdemeanor charge stands, he will probably get off with probation and restitution. Even if it is upgraded to a felony charge, he can be sentenced under the first offender act, and still come out smelling like a rose.