Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police pursuit ends in downtown Augusta crash

A police chase Thursday night ended in a crash at the downtown intersection of Broad and Seventh streets.

A Ford Focus overturned at Broad and Seventh streets after being chased by Richmond County sheriff's deputies.  JENNA MARTIN/STAFF
JENNA MARTIN/STAFF

A Richmond County deputy told dispatchers he was pursuing a red Ford Focus traveling about 90 mph on Laney Walker Boulevard, about 10:30 p.m.

The crash happened about 10 minutes later when the Focus, traveling on Seventh Street, hit a black vehicle driving on Broad Street, said witness Reggie Watson, who was standing at the intersection.

“Dude was just coming so fast,” Watson said.

The red Focus flipped about six times before coming to a stop in front of the Wells Fargo building on Seventh Street, Watson said.

“He got out and started to run,” Watson said of the driver. “And the police tased him.”

Authorities told dispatchers that the suspect was in custody after the wreck. The extent of injures was not immediately available.

Emergency personnel in an ambulance also responded to someone lying on the sidewalk in the middle of the 700 block of Broad Street, but it was unclear how that person was injured.

Firefighters were called to the scene for a gas leak caused by the wreck.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/26/13 - 01:27 am
I bet he will be sore in the

I bet he will be sore in the morning. What a nut. He had to be on something to act like that.

jmo
jmo 07/26/13 - 04:46 am
This could......

have ended a lot worse.

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 07/26/13 - 06:14 am
Flipped six times?

If anybody flipped six times and then got out and ran, they had to be high on something. Of course, when it goes to court they will blame the police.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/26/13 - 07:23 am
Almost half of all high speed

Almost half of all high speed chases end in accidents with injuries to innocent bystanders, the police officers or the runner.

Frank I
Frank I 07/26/13 - 07:42 am
haha..

that's a pretty funny statement Riverman.. what you just said is almost half the time someone gets hurt.. I've got a 50/50 chance of getting hurt walking out my front door...

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/26/13 - 07:47 am
"I've got a 50/50 chance of

"I've got a 50/50 chance of getting hurt walking out my front door..."

I'd take a good look at that door.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/26/13 - 08:02 am
Why the high speed chase?

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 07/26/13 - 08:04 am
@Riverman1

Riverman1 that was a good reply to "I've got a 50/50 chance of" made me spit out my coffee.

Radwaste
Radwaste 07/26/13 - 08:55 am
Well, that was dumb...

"The taxpayers provide the RCSO with 2 way radios and Spike strips still or is that a Added tax item for down town?"
Hello - that only works if you know ahead of time where the suspect is going. If the Focus had broken visual contact, he'd have "won" the chase.
There's still people yelling about police chases. I consider them hypocrites, because such people expect to be protected by police on one hand, and then to just *let them go* if someone flees.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/26/13 - 08:59 am
On a more serious note

We all have seen the TV videos of how High Speed Pursuits get occur spread across many streets the PIT or end in spectacular wrecks at intersections and pedestrians are usually injured or sometimes killed.
but since 1940's NO car on the road can out run a Radio and the car on the other end.

QUESTIONS:
What was the reason behind the chase?
Was it worth risking the public?
What are the rules for RCSO high speed pursuits in residentcal and traffic streets like Laney-Walker, Walton Way or Broad St?

tckr1983
tckr1983 07/26/13 - 09:01 am
If you only knew...

Most nights Richmond County is down a few beats per night... backup and spike strips are fine and dandy, I'm willing to bet however that help wasn't as close as you think it was and that's why he was pursued.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/26/13 - 09:08 am
From Laney Walker to Broad

From Laney Walker to Broad isn't 10 min @ 90mph. He may have done some twists and turns to boot, so for the time involved and streets he was on, I speculate that spike strips were not a viable alternative.

tckr1983
tckr1983 07/26/13 - 09:12 am
Itsanother

Correct... The chase was all over the bottom of Augusta. The fleeing driver could have just committed murder for all the pursuing cop knew! It was late and a week night, had it been the wknd with more people out and about, POSSIBLY they would've backed off.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/26/13 - 09:51 am
I wonder if the police could turn all traffic lights red

in all directions on every street in the general area of the chase, updating the area as the chase progresses.

That seems like a way of protecting the public at least somewhat, by making everybody else stop at all intersections. It would lessen (but not eliminate) the chance that a loser idiot like this would collide with an innocent someone in an intersection.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 07/26/13 - 10:16 am
That car is NOT a Ford Focus...

...it is a Suzuki...and if this guy is the one whose name was all over the prison paperwork that was in that car (and I am told it is)...he has done this BEFORE. High speed chase through residential/business areas...

LLArms
LLArms 07/26/13 - 10:27 am
Big surprise there. Like the

Big surprise there. Like the recent guy who was visiting his probation officer and shot her.

We need to let the pot heads out of jail and start long term housing people who are an actual danger to society. Good grief.

I don't do drugs or drink and I don't condone anyone who does, but even I know the war on drugs is a scam.

Darby
Darby 07/26/13 - 10:59 am
"A Richmond County deputy told dispatchers

he was pursuing a red Ford Focus traveling about 90 mph on Laney Walker Boulevard, about 10:30 p.m."

Just might have been a new speed record for that part of town.

Darby
Darby 07/26/13 - 11:02 am
"I've got a 50/50 chance of getting hurt

walking out my front door..."

Sounds like you put a lot of thought into that comment.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/26/13 - 11:55 am
Austin said, "...and if this

Austin said, "...and if this guy is the one whose name was all over the prison paperwork that was in that car (and I am told it is)..."

How would you know things the police found?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/26/13 - 12:00 pm
"Javonist Gant"?

WRDW is reporting a similar story with somewhat different information, but the video looks to be taken at the Wells Fargo on Broad.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/26/13 - 12:53 pm
Police Pursuits!

Bad outcomes! Most often not worth putting the public at risk!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/26/13 - 01:30 pm
Ah, my little troll

You have to wonder what kind of hater thumbs down simple information devoid of opinion.

Oh, wait. I know.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/26/13 - 01:57 pm
Fiat_Lux..

I gave you another thumbs up to give you a 50% thumbs up advantage.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/26/13 - 04:10 pm
About Releasing Info

It's interesting that Austin has info different than the TV station. Maybe someone casually let slip to him some info accidentally. That's no big deal. On the other hand, if a supervisor purposefully gave Austin a certain version while the other media were given another it would be. But I doubt any shift supervisor in his right mind would do anything like that. That could be misleading and even dangerous in some circumstances.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/26/13 - 04:06 pm
Thanks, Brad

And I did the same for you. But it's really nothing but a complement to be targeted by the red thumb trolls. If I'm getting to them, I'm probably doing something right on the mark, as are you. I believe them to be knee-jerk opinions devoid of accurate information who add nothing to the discussion but bilge.

I'm ashamed to admit that I really enjoy the heck out of tweaking them.

Darby
Darby 07/26/13 - 04:24 pm
"I consider them hypocrites, because such

people expect to be protected by police on one hand, and then to just *let them go* if someone flees."

Don't know who you hang with, but I don't know anyone who "expects" cops to engage in a high speed chase.

An exception might be to catch a fleeing killer. Even then, it the guy is known to the police, it might be worth letting him go temporarily for the sake of the innocents who may be killed or injured in the chase.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/26/13 - 06:50 pm
Statistics

The facts are studies have shown most runners are not committing dangerous felonies. Many jurisdictions have a policy of no high speed chases unless there is good reason to believe a dangerous felony is in progress. Before you ask, studies also show in jurisdictions with a no high speed chase policy, incidents of people not stopping for police do NOT increase. Average people don't suddenly become runners from law enforcement due to no chase policies.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/26/13 - 04:43 pm
Darby

He was going too fast to start with - something was wrong w/this fellow

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/26/13 - 04:45 pm
And RM

I'm still laughing at your post from this morning!! Seans going to kick me off -

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/26/13 - 04:57 pm
Lilly, you got to leave um

Lilly, you got to leave um laughing sometimes.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...