Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Elderly woman scammed in jail scheme

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:38 PM
Last updated 7:12 PM

An elderly Augusta woman told police she was tricked into sending $1,900 to the Dominican Republic.

According to an incident report, the victim’s 18-year-old great-grandson is jailed in Dodge County, Wis.

The 83-year-old victim told police a person who pretended to be her great-grandson called Wednesday saying he needed the money for him to be released from jail. Another man, who identified himself as Sgt. Winter of the Dodge County Police Department, got on the phone and confirmed the earlier story.

The scammers told the victim to send the money to her great-grandson’s lawyer, Rosa Valdez, in the Dominican Republic.

After the victim sent the money, she learned from her son and daughter that she had been scammed.

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 07/19/13 - 12:38 pm
Now this person I feel sorry for

Unlike the other person who was scammed, this woman wasn't trying to do anything but help. I wonder how these low-lifes knew that her great-grandson was in jail? How did they know her great-grandson's name? I also have to wonder, how do they live with themselves?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/19/13 - 01:29 pm
I'm sure it was info gleaned

I'm sure it was info gleaned from a fellow prisoner in on the scam. That, or a prison employee with access to personal files working with the scammers. I would rather believe the former since I can't see the great grandmothers info being in his file.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/19/13 - 05:24 pm
Love

is one thing. Not calling to verify your great grandson's incarceration or having someone you trust to verify it is not very intelligent. 83 years on this earth should give you some kind of experience.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 07/19/13 - 06:11 pm
I think a real valid question

I think a real valid question is what is the prodigy in jail for? Scamming old people?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/20/13 - 05:52 am
Questions

(Comment based on Last AC updated 7:12 PM)

How did the scammers know the victim’s 18-year-old great-grandson name and how to contact her.

Why send money to another country if your 18-year-old great-grandson is in jail in Wisconsin, USA?

There are other questions but these are my 2 most bewildering.

Regarding the story
it says "she learned from her son and daughter".
So is the 18y/o a Great Grand Son or just a Grandson?

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 07/20/13 - 06:33 am
….

My speculation would be that someone knows that some sort of mental deterioration is possibly "creeping in" on this lady.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/20/13 - 06:51 am
Grandpa Jones - I agree and still wonder

How a person who knows this much personal info & details is also connected to a scammer in the Dominican Republic.

It is possible social media (Facebook and/or Myspace) info "MAY" have played a roll.

Guntoter 2
Guntoter 2 07/20/13 - 08:35 am
Something in da milk ain't

Something in da milk ain't clean concerning this story..too many unanswered questions.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...