Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta homeowner thwarts burglary

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:22 PM
Last updated 10:25 PM

A man is facing charges after an armed homeowner thwarted a burglary Wednesday.

Kenneth Parks  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Kenneth Parks

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew, Jeffery Pinckney, 54, was at his home on the 1500 block of Lee Beard Way about 10:30 a.m. when he heard the doorbell ring. Soon after, he heard someone trying to break into his backyard shed.

Armed with a handgun, Pinckney approached the man, who was later identified as Kenneth Bernard Parks.

Police said the two men began to fight, and Parks bit Pinckney.

The homeowner was able to hold Parks until deputies arrived.

Parks, 53, was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of battery and second-degree burglary.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/18/13 - 12:53 pm
Deja Vue! Mike Tyson!

Looks like Pinckney bit him on the ear or is that Parks' fashion statement! LOL! Way to go Mr. Pinckney!

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/18/13 - 01:57 pm
Oh no, no, no!

You are supposed to give up all your weapons, never confront any criminal and just call 911 and sit quietly by while you wait for the police to arrive well after the fact to investigate the beating you have just received or possibly your murder.
Wait...I forgot to take my meds this morning and seem to be turning into a liberal! Sorry!! Disregard comment above.

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/18/13 - 02:10 pm
Not funny and not relevant to

Not funny and not relevant to this case

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/18/13 - 02:45 pm
Yeah, it is funny AND relevant.

It looks like Mr. Pinckney might have been able to do some damage too. I know I would have tried to do significant damage if that piece of crap had bitten me, possibly up to and including using my gun on him since it would have been in my hand. I sure hope Pinckney doesn't get an infection from that bite.

The deputies who showed up should have let Pinckney wash Parks' mouth out with soap before taking him off to jail.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/18/13 - 04:26 pm
Why have the gun if you not going to use it?

Obvious from the story there was physical contact.

So why allow yourself to end up getting into a fight with the criminal committing a felony, which allows him/her a chance of grabbing your firearm and using it against you?

Could the AC find out and publish the response time, between the call and arrival?

Either way kudos to the homeowner.

thauch12
thauch12 07/18/13 - 04:37 pm
Well nocnoc, we unfortunately

Well nocnoc, we unfortunately live in a world where we have to worry about being charged with 2nd degree murder (and manslaughter thrown in for good measure) when acting in self defense...

Pops
Pops 07/18/13 - 04:37 pm
Do anything you want

to my girlfriend.....just don't hurt me.....lay down and give in to predators.....NO !!.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/18/13 - 05:51 pm
I would have never let him

I would have never let him get close enough to bite me. I hope that bandage is covering a pistol thump. I would not put my mouth on him.

corgimom
corgimom 07/18/13 - 08:37 pm
Dixieman, I thought it was

Dixieman, I thought it was funny too.

If I were that victim, I'd be at the hospital getting AIDS and hepatitis preventatives toot sweet.

corgimom
corgimom 07/18/13 - 08:39 pm
nocnoc, when it comes right

nocnoc, when it comes right down to it, most people can't shoot another human being, even in a stressful situation. Police officers and soldiers are intensively, professionally trained and it's still not easy.

Because most people are decent and moral and don't want to kill another human being.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/18/13 - 11:56 pm
"decent and moral" will look

"decent and moral" will look real nice on one's tombstone when you let trash get the jump on you and you've left your family behind.

myfather15
myfather15 07/19/13 - 05:39 am
I agree with everyones statement, except Owensjef3!!

Yes, If you are breaking into my shed and I have a firearm on me to stop you; then YOU advance on me after I've commanded you to stop, the next thing YOU will hear is a loud pop and it's probably the last thing you will hear!!

When a person protecting their home, brings out a gun they BETTER be prepared to use said gun!!! Because you do NOT want to get into a physical alteraction with this lunatic, with a gun present because what happens if he over powers you? Then HE has YOUR gun!! Try to get witnesses (i.e. family members, friends, neighbors) if time permits and then give this guy lead poison!!

Like someone else on here said, there is no way I'm letting this guy get close enough to bite me!! Disease anyone??

corgimom
corgimom 07/19/13 - 06:13 am
Yeah, I know, Young Fred, but

Yeah, I know, Young Fred, but most people in that situation, can't.

It's tough to look another human being in the face and shoot them.

And, I don't know, killing a person because they are breaking into your shed? Kill somebody over a used lawnmower and a used blower?

redapples
redapples 07/19/13 - 07:40 am
I agree with Corgimom. It

I agree with Corgimom. It would be a lot easier for me to shoot someone entering my home than it would be if they are stealing my lawn equipment.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/19/13 - 08:45 am
Think about it this way instead.

It is dark, and you confront the person in your yard shed.

How many tools in the shed are potential weapons?
Hammers, machetes, axes, shovels, extra lawnmower blades, pointed hand operated, weed trimmers or that nice chainsaw.

deestafford
deestafford 07/19/13 - 09:02 am
When you are looking at a threat and you are armed you

have to look at that threat not as an individual sitting around the fire place in his home reading the Bible to his children; but, as something wanting to do harm to you, your family, and your property. When you look at a threat as what its intent is rather than some loving caring human being it makes it simpler to pull the trigger.

When I was training soldiers for combat I always told them the enemy was trying to kill you to prevent you from coming home to your loved one. Look at him that way rather than someone sitting around the dinner table with his family. It didn't matter what age or sex the enemy was...if he/she was armed you killed them.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/19/13 - 09:08 am
Apples and oranges

This homeowner was well within his right to protect his person and property.
He didn't follow the guy down a street then force an altercation.
Lots of hyperbole here to continue to excuse GZ's decision to follow who WAS NOT BREAKING INTO ANYTHING. Following a kid who I am sure was fearful for his life (consider the profile of child molesters----yes, maybe Trayvon profiled Zimmerman and didn't like what he saw. And who can blame him?)

myfather15
myfather15 07/19/13 - 09:09 am
My goodness!!

No one said to blow a person away for breaking into the shed!! You don't just walk out and blast away as he is prying the shed open!!! BUT, it's YOUR property and you have the RIGHT to defend said property!! If it were me, I AM going out to STOP this guy from entering my shed and stealing from me. When I go out there, I'm NOT going unarmed, period!!! When I go out there to STOP him from stealing from me, if he takes off running; no problem, goodbye and don't come back!! I will NOT shoot at a fleeing person, period!! If they're fleeing, they are not presenting a threat, so call the police and let them handle it.

BUT, if I go out to stop him from stealing; and he comes at me, attempting to assault ME, for preventing him from stealing from ME; then he gets whatever he deserves!! Again the shooting would NOT be for him stealing, but for his actions towards ME, while trying to STOP him!!

HE is responsible for HIS actions, period!! If in the act of assaulting or threatening me on MY property; which he had no right to be on, he is killed; ITS HIS FAULT, NOT MINE!!!

Georgialina
Georgialina 07/19/13 - 09:10 am
Parks is a lucky man

Let me see if I can explain why Parks is so lucky. If this was my yard..... Parks was trespassing, breaking into my shed, stealing my stuff, assaults me, puts his NASTY mouth on me......Oh yeah, Parks is dead!!! The line that said "The homeowner was able to hold Parks until deputies arrived." would have read until the coroner arrives!

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/19/13 - 09:30 am
myfather15
myfather15 07/19/13 - 09:27 am
Truth never matters!!

So, as I stated on an older thread; if my wife suspects I'm cheating on her and hires a PI to follow me to the hotel where I'm meeting my many GF's. Then I see said PI following me, I can then beat the living crap out of him in the parking lot??? The PI is suppose to follow, observe and take pictures as evidence. But since following, to some people is justification for assault; then I can beat the PI mercilessly, right??? Does this honestly make sense to anyone?

GZ was a neighborhood watch guy and I believe they are suppose to watch and observe people who don't live in the neighborhood; thereby looking out for neighbors. How is one suppose to fully observe if they can NOT follow anyone? Bottom line is; FOLLOWING someone is NOT placing their lives in danger, if FOLLOWING them is ALL that is done!! The defense PROVED in Court that Zimmerman did NOT start the physical alteration, hence the acquittal!! But I suppose people on HERE have some inside information that wasn't given to the prosecution, is that right? Why didn't you come forward with this information that would have PROVED Zimmerman guilty???

And all this "Stalking" junk is nothing but hyperbole!! Stalking is repeatedly following someone with the intentions of harassing or intimidating that person!! Following someone as a neighborhood watch member is not "repeatedly" and is not to harass or intimidate!! It's called looking out for the neighborhood, and THIS neighborhood had a sting of burglaries at that time.

Why can people NOT understand that if Martin had kept going and NOT turned around to confront this guy, he would be alive!! The only physical marks Martin had (besides the bullet wound) were on his hands/knuckles!! Zimmeran had numerous facial and head injuries. Was Zimmerman to wait until he was unconscious to defend himself? He had no idea who long the assault would go on or how far Martin intended to go with it. Bottom line is; No crime was committed on the part of Zimmerman!!! No crime was committed until Martin attacked Zimmerman for FOLLOWING him. This was PROVEN in Court!! But I keep forgetting, liberal commenters on here are smarter than those idiot jurors!! They would have convicted, period!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/19/13 - 09:35 am
Shortcomment

First of all, I love both your comments!!

2nd of all; how is the FEDERAL government going to file "Civil Rights" charges against Zimmerman, when the FBI already investigated the incident and concluded RACE or Racial profiling was NOT a factor?? They can't!! Unless they HIDE the findings of the FBI investigation!!

The FBI interviewed 37 people during their investigation!! They talked this past and present friends of Zimmerman. They discovered he took a black girl to prom, has numerous black friends who spoke highly of him, has tutored black kids for FREE, and more!! Again the investigative division of the federal government (FBI) determined race was NOT a factor!! How then does the same federal government file charges against him for "Civil Rights" violations? If they do, it's corruption, beyond belief!!!! But I certainly do not put it past Eric Holder and this administration to go forward with prosecution!!

tom31510
tom31510 07/19/13 - 09:36 am
Stand your ground!

This is a good example why this country should not crumble to current public opinion about the stand your ground laws. Without them no one is safe. A man's castle is no longer his. Can you imagine how many more home envisions there would be if stand your ground laws were abolished?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/19/13 - 09:51 am
OMG

Some can't move on from the Florida case....maybe they should try for a tv slot...they can't move on either.

I really don't care what stupid laws they come up with..I will protect myself & family....if you are running away you will be safe from my shot...but coming toward me ...nahhh

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/19/13 - 11:35 am
he should have shot him

he should have shot him instead of trying to fight him, what would have happened if this [filtered word]WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE GUN, THE GUN DROPPED...ETC then this [filtered word]could have picked up the gun and shot the homeowner....anyway-kudos to the homeowner, but in that part of town it is better to shoot first and ask questions later....as for the ZIMMERMAN CASE...WELLLLLLLL

all you trayvon lovers, supporter, and enablers need to do your homework and read for yourself instead of waiting for Rev AL, Brutha Jessie, and all of the local "passah's", "community leaders", and bottom feeders who do nothing more than prey off the suffering of those they claim to want to help. first off, "ole trayvon" wasn't as innocent as the media, his sorry azz parents, and other race pimps and hustlers portray hime to be..don't let the pictures of him at 12-14 yrs old fool you there are recent one showing him in a different light..he was nothing more than a thug in training and the night he was shot he was carrying his ingredients not to eat but to make himself so more "lean/purple lean/purple drank"...yes i may be attacked but using the internet i was able to find his facebook posts which show "ole trayvon" talking "wit he homie" trying to find someone with a prescription for liquid codene and his comment on "how much he likes the purple drank".....i refer you to the link below....

Darby
Darby 07/19/13 - 11:47 am
@ owensjef3. "Not funny and not relevant to this case"

I thought it was really funny. And VERY relevant.

Until OzBama's political elite back away from using the race baiting component in practically everything they do, then we should challenge just about everything they do.

Darby
Darby 07/19/13 - 12:06 pm
"...maybe Trayvon profiled Zimmerman

and didn't like what he saw. And who can blame him?)"

I CAN and DO blame him. If TM had not had that HUGE chip on his shoulder he'd be alive today with his sweet tea and Skittles.

It's tragic that his parents lost a son. But given his unprovoked attack on another man, in the middle of the night, it was obviously his destiny.

Trayvon's parents had to bury their son because he was imprudent and aggressive.

Zimmerman could have followed him for the next seven years and it would never have resulted in Trayvon Martin's death.

Now the established criminal, Al (Tawana Brawley, Crown Heights) Sharpton is agitating for the right of any black man to assault any white (or Hispanic) man who (he believes) looks suspicious.

That dog just won't hunt.

Patriot
Patriot 07/19/13 - 04:15 pm
Had this law-abiding citizen

Had this law-abiding citizen not been armed, the criminal (Parks) may have just run off and simply become another Richmond County crime statistic. I'm willing to speculate this perpetrator has done this kind of thing before. Now this case can be prosecuted and the criminal justice system can attempt to teach this criminal (with a sentence) not to break in people's sheds, etc. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Funny thing.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/19/13 - 06:52 pm
Jeffery Pinckney

Jeffery Pinckney should send a thank you to Zimmerman, without him, we would all be setting around waiting to be robbed. If Zimmerman had not stood his ground, we could not set on the ground we own. This country owes Zimmerman big time and Jeffery Pinckney is a hero to all and should have a better photo posted on the front page, but why is the scumbag Parks home address and rap sheet not posted in the crime section?

Darby
Darby 07/19/13 - 08:44 pm
You may be right "man96" but I'd really like

to believe that Pickney or any real man would have reacted the same way without Zimmerman's example.

It's time we all stopped behaving like doormats.

As a matter of fact, Zimmerman may have been just a tad too passive. If he had delayed just a moment or two longer he might have been killed.