WRDW reporter arrested at DUI checkpoint

Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:50 PM
Last updated 9:30 PM

A WRDW-TV reporter has been suspended after her arrest at a Richmond County DUI checkpoint, the channel said Saturday.

Christie Ethridge registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.075 in a field sobriety test, according to WRDW’s Web site. Georgia’s legal limit is 0.08.

The Augusta-Richmond County Jail’s booking desk couldn’t say when or why Ethridge was booked because she had already been released on bond earlier Saturday.

The University of Georgia graduate has been with WRDW since July 2012, according to her LinkedIn profile.

rugerguy
rugerguy 07/15/13 - 06:09 pm
OK OK OK

Lux, I feel what you say that the proper SOP for using the instrument is to not round and drop the last digit. OK, whatever. Here is the thing. There are specs and there are specs. If a spec is enforced to the extreme point of losing your license or going to jail then it should be firm and well founded on something. If this is the norm, fine. That should be officially established so someone will not suffer without need. Here is where I'm coming from. I read that this lady was ticketed for blowing a 0.075 which the majority of math-challenged readership perceived as being LESS THAN 0.08 which is the "official spec" for DUI. I simply pointed out per normal math rules 0.075 COULD BE interpreted as 0.08 and perhaps that is why she was charged. To you folks who struggle with concepts such as this, in science this is called a THEORY. (I think it was garbage for her to be charged myself. There are bigger fish to fry IMHO.) I did not miss a point of the discussion that a journalist may have been targeted for an earlier action against the RCSD. (We really hope for drama don't we?) I doubt it. The officers are too busy for vendettas. They are grossly overworked and inadequately compensated. I guess I am just appalled at the poor math skills I have seen from people I assume can read and write and perhaps have attended higher learning institutions. I really hope none of the math-clueless administers medicines or regulates vital dosages with such a casual grasp of math basics.

To quote Robert A. Heinlein: "Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." Time Enough For Love (1973)

leebraxjr
leebraxjr 07/15/13 - 06:54 pm
DUI and BAC

While reading all of your comments helped past time away, I still am amazed how many levels the "dirty South" can shovel. Regardless of what this young ladies outcome will be, one thing is certain she is going to have to answer to her employer. Unfortunately, AC does not take lightly embarrassment.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/15/13 - 06:56 pm
Drunks

There are a lot of drunk supporters out in the internet land today! The AC tells stories so poorly, we must wait till the trial to see what really happened. Christie Ethridge can tell the real story if she wants to, it might make a great news story on TV.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/16/13 - 08:22 am
Junk Science

Rugerguy posted:

And somebody tell me when good math or any good science is not legal and has no place in a court room?

There is a lot more junk science in courtrooms than good science.

playlikethunder
playlikethunder 07/16/13 - 01:29 pm
@ DICHOTOMY

I THINK THE OBVIOUS REFERENCE TO APPEARANE WAS TO MAKE NOTE THAT , IN ADDITION TO THE VERY BORDERLINE NUMBERS, WHICH CAN BE MANIPULATED, SHE DID NOT GIVE THE NORMAL PHYSICAL SIGNS OF INTOXICATION, YOU KNOW ...HALF LIDDED ,DULL EYES,MUSSED HAIR,SMEARED MAKE UP SCOWLING FACE, ETC. AND ETC. oNE WOULD WONDER IF YOU FAIL TO NOTICE THESE QUALITIES ABOUT YOUR FRIEND SITTING ACROSS FROM YOU, BECAUSE OF YOUR PRESENT STATE......BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU LEAVE....

playlikethunder
playlikethunder 07/16/13 - 01:38 pm
CORGIMOM....TSK,TSK,TSK

iT'S A SHAME EVRYONE ISN'T AS PERFECT AS YOU ARE, BUT THAT ASIDE, USING A PUBLIC OUTLET TO LABEL CHRISTIE "A DRUNK" IS NOT ONLY A HUGE RED FLAG THAT YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT IT, AND FURTHERMORE MIGHT (HOPEFULLY) GET YOU SUED ....

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/13 - 02:37 pm
Hilarious

This thread took a hilarious turn.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/16/13 - 02:44 pm
This guy in Las Vegas did

This guy in Las Vegas did EVERYTHING RIGHT at DUI checkpoint. All of us should behave like this and maybe they will cancel the checkpoints.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/13 - 03:11 pm
Giants...haha on that video.

Giants...haha on that video. But I would do it differently and be more tactful. I do respect the police of all 3 of our local counties and understand they are playing with the hand dealt them. I would politely explain I knew they were doing their job, but I felt checkpoints were a constitutional infringement of all our rights. I would tell the officer that I assumed he supported the Constitution and felt the same way. I'd encourage him to think about it and then show him my license, etc.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/13 - 03:23 pm
Giants, keep in mind, if you

Giants, keep in mind, if you think the cops can't FIND something wrong you grew up in a better area of town than I did. Alan Dershowitz, the famed Harvard law professor, who is often being interviewed on Fox about the Zimmerman trial these days explains how the system works in his book.

He says everyone in the courtroom, judge, prosecutor, defense attorney and the accused KNOW the police lie and make up evidence. But they also all know whether the accused is guilty or close to it in 99% of the cases.

He said if he had someone he knew didn't deserve to be on trial he would simply talk with the prosecutor and judge. They wanted him to do that. Together they would all figure out how to get the guy off. On the other hand, if the guy deserved SOMETHING he never said anything to them privately because he knew they would figure out how to find him guilty.

Kettle donations rise in 2014