Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Accident kills Wagener boy, 2

Friday, July 5, 2013 11:49 AM
Last updated 7:25 PM

A 2-year-old Wagener, S.C., boy died Thursday after being struck by a vehicle driven by his father in the front yard of their residence, where the family was having a Fourth of July get-together.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said Ryan Eagerton was treated by Aiken County Emergency Medical Services, then airlifted to Richland Memorial Hospital in Columbia after a Chevrolet Blazer driven by his father, Patrick Eagerton, 29, hit him at the residence in 200 block of Gravin Drive about 3 p.m.

The child was pronounced dead about an hour later.

The incident remains under investigation, but has initially been determined accidental, Carlton said.

corgimom
corgimom 07/05/13 - 04:57 pm
My heart goes out to that

My heart goes out to that family, what a terrible tragedy.

My deepest condolences and sympathy.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/05/13 - 05:03 pm
God bless

Master Eagerton's soul and help his family.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/05/13 - 05:59 pm
I'm not really sure what

I'm not really sure what could happen worse for a family. Rest in peace, Master Eagerton. My sympathy to the family.

Susie Q
Susie Q 07/05/13 - 09:44 pm
My heart aches for this family

My heart aches for this family. Never does one ever think this will happen to them. Their hearts will forever ache and wonder what/why this happened. Know in your hearts Heaven as a beautiful angel looking over everyone

Cadence
Cadence 07/06/13 - 02:55 am
This is just so sad.

There are no words to say that will comfort the family. This was a terrible accident. I am so very sorry that this happened.

Darby
Darby 07/06/13 - 03:07 pm
One can never be "prepared" for a tragedy

of this magnitude. Nor can one ever really get past it. Never...

Heartbreaking...

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/06/13 - 06:11 pm
Heartache

My deepest sympathies to the family.
When I was about 5 this happened to me -- neighbor backing up out of his driveway hit me with rear bumper. Fortunately I was so small and by the grace of God positioned behind the middle of the car so that it knocked me down and went over me but I was not run over by the tires. Still remember 65 years later regaining consciousness and looking up at the oily underside of the car and hearing my mother screaming. Stiff and sore but fine after bedrest for a few days.
This is always a danger with little kids. Hope the new backup videocams will help avoid this in future - I had one installed on my car and it is really great.
So sorry for this family.

Darby
Darby 07/06/13 - 09:18 pm
Yeah - My wife says we're NOT buying

another car without a rear mounted camera.

Can't say I blame her. Even if it's never needed, it's worth the peace of mind.

United Way opens door to new partners

For the first time since 2010, United Way of the CSRA is inviting new agencies and organizations to participate in the community investment process. The agency pre-application process begins July 29.