News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Late-night walkers robbed downtown

Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:39 PM
Last updated 6:48 PM

Three people who were walking in downtown Augusta about 2 a.m. Thursday were robbed of their wallets and $250 worth of electronics by two armed men.

The robbery happened near the intersection of Third and Ellis streets. That’s where two black men, one carrying a silver handgun, demanded the victims’ wallets.

The victims complied, giving up their wallets, a $200 cell phone and a $50 watch.

The suspects, described as skinny men who measured 5-feet, 10 inches tall, have dreadocks and were wearing white and black shirts, fled on Ellis Street.

corgimom
corgimom 07/05/13 - 09:36 am
And I can't speak for anybody

And I can't speak for anybody but myself, but there's a lot more to crime than murders.

In fact, that's the one crime that is unpreventable.

Dudeness
Dudeness 07/05/13 - 09:42 am
People who exercise some

People who exercise some common sense in regards to risk assessment are much less likely to be robbed.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/05/13 - 09:59 am
DUDENESS

You are correct.......If you are at home from 10:00 pm to 4:00 am ,chances are you will avoid 95% of all the bad stuff.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/13 - 10:02 am
dudeness

That is correct in some areas BUT let me assure you that is NOT going to work everywhere...
Some homes are hit over & over....bars on doors---cameras up---alarms in place....some idiots could care less.....if you watched the nightly news in Atla you would think we were living in a war zone.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/05/13 - 10:15 am
Yeah, walking around in the CBD doesn't qualify as good sense

I had a friend who got mugged in the middle of the day in the CBD area of Olde Town. He got a serious clunk on the head because the mugger wasn't satisfied with his take.

Olde Town could be wonderful, but until all the predators and carnage creators are moved out of the area to the east and southeast, it will never become a safe neighborhood. Just a fact. When rotten, predatory people have easy access to the civilized population, the civilized are victimized. It is always, always that way.

You've got to grow a soul before right and wrong really mean anything to you. That's very hard to do without having loving adults raising you who have at least some idea about what a human being is supposed to look like. And taking all religious and values formation out of the public narrative puts people with sorry parents and families at a severe disadvantage when it comes to learning how to be civilized, socially adept and successful--except as a predator targeting the unwary.

Dudeness
Dudeness 07/05/13 - 10:39 am
I agree that the lack of

I agree that the lack of parenting is a huge reason for society's downfall in various areas at any time of day. When parents no longer care, neither do their offspring and it starts a downward spiral. I still believe that risk can at least be lowered by not walking through downtown at 2am. Some people will still be attacked during the day, but I would wager that there is less of a chance of that happening at 2pm as opposed to 2am. The only time I would consider walking through downtown Atlanta at night is when a Falcons game has let out and the streets are crowded with people.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 07/05/13 - 11:35 am
zoo

augusta doesnt have a zoo like other large metro areas. we have better. ours is a wild life preserve like in africa with wild animals running the streets. need animal control to do their job and round up these animals and put them back in the phinizy road zoo.

countyman
19166
countyman 07/05/13 - 12:19 pm
Facts

Both the existing and former Sheriff have released the crime stats for the main 'downtown' area. The rates were very similar to the low crime rate in West Augusta. Why do people continue to focus on me, but not comment on the sheriff crime stats? I think the usual people clearly understand it's much harder to spin the words coming from the local sheriff.

Every small to large city in the US has their own CBD.

AutumnLeaves... I used to lived in Evans before and now live the CBD.. I also thought you lived in South Augusta.

Fiatlux... When did your neighborhood become the only one in Martinez. The lady in the Wells Fargo parking lot was just robbed July 2nd in Martinez.. Please walk through Applecross, Ridge Crossing, or Shenadoah Ridge, etc at 2am in Martinez.

Corgimom.. To even compare Pepperidge with places with East Augusta, MLK, etc or even Barton Village is hilarious. Pepperidge does have crime, but it's nowhere close to the high crime areas of Augusta. I also don't see much private construction in/around Pepperidge either besides the proposed Sadie Landing subdivision. The private construction in the CBD includes Holiday Inn Express, Augusta Lung Associates, Farmhaus Burgers, Sprint Foods, etc.. You also live in Charlotte, and haven't lived in Augusta in many years. The people who you know who left Olde Town due to crime had to be over 15-20 years ago.

What is the CBD of Olde Town? I've never heard of any neighborhood with their own CBD...

The people who live in Olde Town already think the area is safe.

''When Kenley and Blake Clark wanted to move to downtown Augusta, they chose Olde Town.''

augrichgal
augrichgal 07/05/13 - 12:28 pm
Countyman does not want to

Countyman does not want to admit to the crime. I was told once by him that i was scared due to the medias hipe. Really? Richmond County has CRIME.

countyman
19166
countyman 07/05/13 - 02:06 pm
Facts

Admit what crime exactly? All you have to do is read the comments, and we can see how the media influences people.

I bet somebody actually believe Columbia County had zero robberies this month, because the media didn't report it.

Everywhere in the US has CRIME...

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/05/13 - 03:52 pm
Crime

OK, people are arguing over if one area is safe over the other, one time of day and so on. Details that do not matter! You have the right, a civil right, to walk in public anywhere any time without getting mugged! Look to the real problem behind crime. Drugs fuel crime like gas makes a car go. These criminals steal to get drugs. The number one gateway drug is tobacco, followed by alcohol, these are advertised to these criminals from the day they are born on every side walk, every store and every sign they can see, tobacco and booze are pounded into the brains of poor children everyday. Tobacco and alcohol companies know this is the time to hook its victims. Once hooked, the drug dealers are waiting. Smokers and drunks have fewer opportunities in the work place, fewer good places to socialize and fewer good friends for good support. This leaves the criminal element for support and the crimes you read about every day in the US. Ban the use of tobacco and alcohol and its advertisement in public. Understand what is public, anywhere citizens are allowed.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 07/05/13 - 05:10 pm
I do think location has

I do think location has something to do with it. I'd be more likely to go to Kroger on Columbia Rd late at night vs. going to Kroger on 15th Street late at night. Sure, crime can happen anywhere, but you have to admit - there are some places it's MORE likely to happen.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/05/13 - 05:08 pm
You just

can't control those old Tea Party criminals. They need to follow in the footssteps of those well-behaved black boys from da hood.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/05/13 - 05:12 pm
countyman, I've lived in

countyman, I've lived in AUGUSTA since the mid-sixties, in all that time it has always been called AUGUSTA or Augusta-Richmond County. There is no such city or town as your afore-mentioned "South Augusta". I have to be all over the CSRA because of my work and family, which brings me into the CBD nearly daily for good portions of my day and have been downtown during normal business hours for First Friday and run into unruly, obnoxious, threatening young people, that will walk into you while looking right at you and then look at you like you're the problem as well as cuss you out. If I had an ounce of aggression in my body, there would have been a fight. This is not a family-friendly environment. You don't have to live in a loft over a business on Broad Street to know there are problems. I also have friends and family in law enforcement so I am sufficiently informed between them and the media.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/05/13 - 05:18 pm
The newspaper DOES report a

The newspaper DOES report a few of the local crimes in Columbia County in the COLUMBIA COUNTY NEWS TIMES section of the Augusta Chronicle. You don't get that if you get that section if you get the Augusta paper within the Richmond County borders. They also report a few of the local crimes in the Augusta paper, but there is not enough room in the paper to report everything. You are just reading the tip of the iceberg. I've been down to the records department and read the miscellaneous reports for a neighborhood association. I was appalled. I had had no idea there would be so many. I am not going to put blinders on.

corgimom
corgimom 07/05/13 - 05:23 pm
Countyman, Pepperidge has

Countyman, Pepperidge has been very bad since the day it was built, and I have very good reason to know.

And no, it wasn't 15-20 years ago about Old Towne. Your assumption is wrong again. Do you think that I don't know anybody in Augusta? Do you think that I don't still go there?

Countyman, since you know all about the CBD, please, tell me. How many prostitution arrests were made in the CBD? How many drug arrests? Not too long ago, a transvestite prostitute was assaulted on Greene St. It wasn't reported in the AC.

There has been prostitution downtown for over 30 years. And perhaps that doesn't bother you, but it does me. I don't hang out with prostitutes, nor do I desire their services, nor do I want to be around them. Because wherever you have that, you have drugs.

I don't want to be around that either.

And you can prattle about the crime stats all you want. I have eyes, and I know what I saw, and the CBD is dirty, rundown, and unattractive. A good description would be "seedy". If you want a bar, a quick loan, have something to pawn, or want "urban fashion", then yes, the CBD is ready and waiting.

Perhaps you should consider that your idea of crime, and our idea of crime, are different. Perhaps you are more tolerant of rundown seedy areas full of homeless, drunks, prostitutes, and drug dealers, not to mention violent criminals. Perhaps you don't see thefts and car breakins as a problem. Perhaps you do not view innocent people getting nearly beaten to death as an issue.

But the rest of us do.

You like to quote the sheriff's statistics. Take a look at the figures for "other" crimes. They average over 600 per month.

That's a lot of "miscellaneous", and we are concerned about all of it, not just what you think is important.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/05/13 - 05:56 pm
Darn corgimom

you just made countyman cry!

harley_52
harley_52 07/07/13 - 12:51 pm

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.