Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta woman conned out of $3,000

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:43 PM
Last updated 10:44 PM

Richmond County deputies are looking for a man who conned an Augusta woman out of $3,000 Tuesday afternoon.

Almedia Woolfork, 60, of Joy Road, told authorities she was leaving Ross Dress for Less, at 3412 Wrightsboro Road, about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday when she was approached by a man who went by the name Jamal Abdullah, according to a Sheriff’s Office incident report.

Abdullah told Woolfork he had inherited $150,000 but couldn’t take the money back to his home in South Africa. He said he wanted to give the money to a family member who was a member of the African Baptist Church, then waved down a man named Charles in the parking lot. Woolfork drove the men to her church, Macedonia Baptist Church, to help Abdullah locate his relative, the report said.

Woolfork and Abdullah waited outside while Charles went inside to talk to the office manager. When Charles returned, he told Woolfork and Abdullah that the African Baptist Church had burned down and that Abdullah’s relative was dead, the report said. Abdullah then said he would turn the money over to a “responsible” person, and asked Woolfork and Charles to withdraw money from their banks to show they were responsible.

Woolfork drove to the Bank of America at 3509 Wrightsboro Road and withdrew $3,000. She handed the money to Abdullah, who wrapped it in a bandana to “pray over it,” the report said.

Woolfork dropped Abdullah and Charles off in the Ross parking lot. When Woolfork later looked in the bandana, there were only blank pieces of paper.

fedex227
fedex227 07/02/13 - 10:48 pm
Jeez.

Not again. Didn't anyone else see 'The Sting' ?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/03/13 - 01:41 am
Again, hard to feel sorry for

Again, hard to feel sorry for someone of sound mind who gets taken this way.

jmo
jmo 07/03/13 - 04:33 am
As I've stated before.....

This is where you insert the Forrest Gump line.

scoobynews
scoobynews 07/03/13 - 07:31 am
How on Earth are people

How on Earth are people falling for this stuff??? I always tell these folks "sorry no thanks". Geez.

corgimom
corgimom 07/03/13 - 08:01 am
Scooby, I tell them something

Scooby, I tell them something too, but I'm not polite like you are.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/03/13 - 08:30 am
She was also approached by a man named Jesus Christ who

led her into the desert.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/03/13 - 08:31 am
Abdullah and Omligata. An episode from Andy Griffith

Abdullah and Omligata. An episode from Andy Griffith

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/03/13 - 08:32 am
The people perish for lack of knowledge. AMEN

The people perish for lack of knowledge. AMEN

Pops
Pops 07/03/13 - 09:57 am
I'll say one thing

they used a very entertaining tale to set her up.
I am sorry however to hear of the church burning down and the relative dying.
Does anyone know if he died in the fire or was it a separate incident?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/03/13 - 10:24 am
Let me paint this story in a different light

A 60 y/o women is stopped in a store parking lot by a person she has NEVER met.

That person flags down another stranger she has NEVER met.

The 60 y/o women with 2 men she has NEVER met drives them around.

The con is set up and the con is running.

She takes a large sum of money out of the bank and hands it to men she has NEVER met.

She prays over the money eyes closed with 2 men she has NEVER met.

She NEVER looks at the money again until well after she has dropped off the 2 men she had NEVER met before.

If true, she'll NEVER see her money again.

QUESTION:
how did they know she had the amount of money to make the con worth the effort?

Sorry, either she is related to Forrest and should not be trusted alone driving around by family or with money anymore.

OR,

Well...... there is more to the story.

BTW: Joy Road is not a rich area, so IF she really lost the $$$$ she will be hurting.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/03/13 - 10:22 am
I got ripped

off recently, for $2,000.00. It was my plumber.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 07/03/13 - 10:56 am
I Feel So Bad

I feel so bad for the woman, as well as her family. It scares me to death. My parents are both 87, living in a different city. Sons and Daughters, please control your parent's finances when they get old. A guy came through my parent's neighborhood, "repairing" garage doors. Luckily, my brother and I had already taken away the checkbook, and the "repairman" only got $100, which is the amount that is available in their house. The elderly are prime targets. I hope they catch "Jamal", and "Charles". I've got a woodshed, I'd like to take them to, along with Ms. Woolforks male family members, so they could get "acquainted" with each other...

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/03/13 - 11:06 am
This money should have gone...

...to a worthier cause, i.e. to help fund Compass Academy.
Marinerman1 - you scare me. I am NEVER giving up control of my money to my kids or anyone else. It is mine, not yours. Possibly your folks need a guardian to protect their interests not only from con men but also from overcontrolling children.

Darby
Darby 07/03/13 - 11:31 am
Dixieman - Thanks for saving me the trouble

and perhaps the charge from Sean for "insulting" another poster.

"Sons and Daughters, please control your parent's finances when they get old."

That quote may, or may not, be the most thoughtless thing I've seen on these boards, but it's right up there in the running for #1.

I'm certain, without even knowing him, that I can find scores of 87 years olds who are better equipped to handle their finances than is Marinerman1.

Stop writing off creative, thinking and productive people simply because they have lived longer than you.

Let's think folks.... not react!!!

Darby
Darby 07/03/13 - 11:40 am
And one more thing....

I feel discriminated against simply because no miscreant low-life of the type described in this article have never approached me.

Do these creeps have some sort of "radar" to guide them to marks?

I would find a way to set up a sting of my own (maybe during a "bathroom break") to contact cops or others and put a kink into the careers of scum like this.

Having said that, I'd really like to know why, other than unadulterated greed, do people keep falling for this stuff?

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 07/03/13 - 11:59 am
I think there's a fine line

I think there's a fine line between "taking over" a parent's finances and ensuring that they are not being financially abused. I had a dear friend of the family who unfortunately, as she got older was easily confused and easily duped - to be later diagnosed with dementia. Time after time, she was conned by people on the phone, workmen, etc - you name it, she was a prime target. Thousands of dollars she couldn't really afford were lost because she fell victim to people who were up to no good. Unfortunately her family wasn't there to protect her, but they sure came out of the woodwork to collect whatever was left when she died. It's a hard line to swallow to allow someone to continually become a victim by leaving them to their own devices when clearly, they are vulnerable due to the deterioration of their mental faculties. I guess it depends on what your motivation for "taking over" is.

I'll agree, just because you're "old" doesn't mean you can't take care of your business, but not everyone stays healthy mentally as they age. Dementia, Alzheimers - there are all sorts of things that those who are lucky enought to live a long life can succumb to. I can't speak for others out there, but I wouldn't be the person my mother raised me to be if I didn't intervene if she started showing signs of not being able to make sound decisions concerning her welfare - personal or financial. I love her too much to let her be a victim of something that can be prevented.

KSL
KSL 07/03/13 - 12:33 pm
It is hard

It is hard to believe that people still fall for cons like this, as long as this particular one has been around. And they vote.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/03/13 - 01:00 pm
Well, to me, the scarey thing

Well, to me, the scarey thing is that we only read about the folks who call the police. No telling how many people get flim-flammed and NEVER call the police because they are too embarassed!

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 07/03/13 - 02:01 pm
My Apologies...

Maybe poor choice of words. BUT, the harsh reality is that the con men prey on the older people for the most part. @ Dixie and Darby, I did not mean to offend -- you are right -- it is your money, but as Red said, you don't want to be "financially abused". Instead of "control" I will say be "aware" of your parents finances. And @Dixie - my Brother, nor I are over controlling in any sense of the word.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/03/13 - 04:57 pm
Well, 60 years old is not

Well, 60 years old is not normally into the dementia age range so I don't think we can assume incompetence due to disease. Most 60 year olds I know are still sharp as a tack IF they were very bright to begin with. I could name a few other reasons but they would sound unsympathetic or insulting. Being greedy or really gullible are a couple of them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/03/13 - 06:20 pm
kids managing my $$$$$

Heck they borrowed enough of our money... May be my wife & I need protecting from them.... NAH!....

BTW:
To you youngsters out there ...60 is the new 30.
An 30 is the new teenager. ☺

allhans
allhans 07/03/13 - 09:20 pm
Makes one wonder how she ever

Makes one wonder how she ever accrued $3,000.00. You know what they say about a ? and their money being soon parted.

Darby
Darby 07/03/13 - 09:47 pm
Marinerman1 - Thanks for the clarification...

You and RHSC are both correct. I may have misjudged you. Sorry if I came on too strong.

WTFH
WTFH 07/04/13 - 02:16 pm
It's ok

It was probably federal money anyways...not hers. I am sure the government or God will give it back.

When con artists bring God into, people just turn dumb and will give anything. Truth is nowadays...never trust anyone especially from church and government.

Developer fined by Georgia EPD

The developer of a Grovetown subdivision has been fined by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division for failing to control erosion and other water quality control violations.