Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman conned out of 'large amount of money'

Monday, June 24, 2013 6:23 PM
Last updated 9:13 PM

Police are looking for two men who conned a woman out of a large sum of money at the Wal-Mart in North Augusta on June 20.

The woman told authorities that the men approached her at the store and told her she would receive a large sum of money if she put some of her money with theirs and prayed over it, a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office news release said.

She drove the suspects to Augusta, where she withdrew money from two banks before driving to her house to retrieve $500. The suspects told the woman that her money would be placed in the trunk of her car for her to retrieve when she returned home, the release said. She dropped the men off at Wal-Mart and returned home before realizing she had been duped.

jmo
jmo 06/24/13 - 07:16 pm
Now you insert.....

the Forrest Gump line.

twalker449
twalker449 06/24/13 - 08:33 pm
woman conned...

These cons only work because the criminals use the greed present in their "marks" who hope to get something for little or nothing. I myself can not believe anybody still falls for any of these "get rich for nothing" scams.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/25/13 - 07:43 am
Either really a Forrest Gump

Either really a Forrest Gump

or the Lottery tickets did not pay out as hoped.

belle
belle 06/25/13 - 07:45 am
And all the good southerners say....

"Bless her heart"

allhans
allhans 06/25/13 - 08:04 am
She can't have thought that

She can't have thought that making money was that easy. If it was , those scammers wouldn't be sharing that secret with her....

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/25/13 - 08:29 am
A certain religious TV

A certain religious TV station in town broadcasts that if everyone prayed hard enough, god will see to it that they will receive enough money to repair a certain piece of equipment so they can stay on the air. In the meantime, a woman prays over a sack of cash in a Walmart parking lot, believing for more cash. What's the difference?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/25/13 - 09:12 am
You don't

reckon greed had anything to do with this reversal of "water to wine miracle", do you? She's lucky she's not dead.

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 06/25/13 - 11:37 am
Unfortunate,

but she would have never been scammed if she wasn't trying to get something for nothing. Obviously she had a "large amount of money" to begin with so if she hadn't got greedy this wouldn't have happened. I would love to win the lottery, but I don't play. I live paycheck to paycheck, if I'm lucky. There is no way I'm going to risk the little amount of money I do have with the hopes of increasing it.

Hey, God is God and if he wants me to have more money, he will find a way to get it to me. I'm just grateful for what I have. Maybe I do have to 'rob Peter to pay Paul', but everyone gets their turn at being Peter and Paul. In the long run, we have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and transportation to make that possible. With a little effort on your part, God will provide. Just don't get greedy!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/25/13 - 12:46 pm
Unbelievable. I can

Unbelievable. I can understand someone making foolish decisions due to desperation, but I can't understand someone falling for this scam. Makes you wonder how many people they tried to hit before finding this lady? And why didn't someone tell the manager? Oh well.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/25/13 - 01:07 pm
GAD, there is a big

GAD, there is a big difference in depending on the Lord and praying out of need, than having sufficient funds and praying out of greed. One pray was for the glorification of the Lord, the other was a prayer for the satisfaction of the want.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/25/13 - 01:18 pm
Thanks, ICL. I knew there had

Thanks, ICL. I knew there had to be an explanation. There always is.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/25/13 - 02:01 pm
Yes there always

Yes there always is....sometimes it's not what you want to hear but there is a reason for everything.

Grace422
Grace422 06/25/13 - 02:06 pm
The power of prayer

Well maybe the cons prayer did work. After all their money did increase as prayed for. Maybe she just assume that she would be included on the prayer list. I wonder how the victim made it this far in life.

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/25/13 - 04:56 pm
Works 24/7 for TV Evangelist. Send me some seed money.

C A Dollar. Righteousness always equals wealth. No es verdad.

Darby
Darby 06/25/13 - 04:56 pm
Let me get this straight. The money she

was expecting to materialize out of thin air, didn't???

How can that be????

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/25/13 - 05:07 pm
Unless this was an elderly

Unless this was an elderly woman whose thought processes may be impaired, I have no sympathy at all. If it is the former, I hope the thieves take a header off a tall building.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/25/13 - 10:23 pm
"Large amount of money"? I

"Large amount of money"? I feel bad that the woman is that gullible, but I'm capped at $400 per bank per day. If she made max withdrawals at two banks and retrieved $500 from home, that's $1300. Not really a "large" sum of money....If I was that gullible, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that it wasn't more....

myfather15
myfather15 06/26/13 - 05:17 am
@GAD

You seriously need to learn how to use discernment!! Maybe you need to pray and ask for wisdom in discerning false prophets from true men of God.

Because you also see "Pastors" on TV constantly saying "If you will send in your $1000.00 love donation; God says he is going to bless 10 fold and within 3 months, you're going to receive this blessing."

It's hard to believe, but people send in millions of dollars every month to different pastors like this. If one can't discern that these false prophets (Wolves in sheeps clothing) are corrupt con men; I'm sorry for them. God doesn't send out beggers!!! That's the first sign they are full of (fill in blank). If a Pastor or Church is teaching God's TRUTH; and they need ANYTHING to continue doing so, He will provide it before they even pray for it. TRUE teachers of God's word will NEVER, NEVER have to go around begging for "Love donations"; and they certainly won't be going around coning people at Wal-Mart.