Augusta-area company sued over Masters Tournament tickets

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:43 PM
Last updated 9:38 PM

A Canadian entertainment company has filed suit against an Augusta-area firm over the delivery of 100 tickets for this year’s Masters Tournament.

Global Events Manage­ment Group filed the federal lawsuit Monday against Joseph Mullins and Mullins Management seeking a minimum of $1.3 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

According to the complaint, Global contracted with Mullins to provide 111 four-day passes to the tournament in 2012 without any problems.

Global, however, claims Mullins violated its 2013 contract to provide 100 four-day passes and additional services for Global customers. Global included as exhibits receipts for $342,000 the Ontario company contends it sent to cover the cost of the tickets, housing and transportation.

When Global customers reached Augusta, there were no tickets, and, according to the lawsuit, Mullins told the customers that Global was to blame because it had not made payments. Mullins told the customers that he could get them tickets for additional fees, according to the lawsuit.

In addition to breach of contract, Global is seeking damages for slander.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/19/13 - 02:58 pm
Why isn't AGNC all over this

Why isn't AGNC all over this ticket scalping business? They expressly state that the badges are not for resale, so why do they stand idly by while scalpers and ticket owners (they are not PATRONS in any sense) get obese on resales? It flies in the face of the whole aura presented by the Masters as being the every day person's tournament with cheap badges (relatively speaking), cheap food and drink, free parking, etc.

If they cared, they would go out and purchase tickets from scalpers, then revoke the priveleges of whomever that ticket originated from.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 03:12 pm
I'd look carefully at ticket

I'd look carefully at ticket deals being made at businesses very close to the National, inside the half mile limit.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/19/13 - 03:45 pm
itsanotherday

You can bet that the ANGC finds out who sold their tickets to this Mullins guy, they will no longer recieve tickets. What else can they do?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/19/13 - 04:59 pm
JTF, too many people hawking

JTF, too many people hawking tickets for me to believe that AGNC gives a rip about resales. If they started revoking badges, the scalpers would disappear. I just think it is two faced to have a policy, act like you care, but then basically turn a blind eye.

It is just a shame that so many have gotten on the "LIST" just to profiteer when there are so many waiting in the wings who would genuinely appreciate having badges to attend the too-nah- mint.

My wife's uncle had 4 badges that were passed around among family up until his death. He wouldn't take a dime in return, but he understood what a big deal it was to go for those of us who enjoyed the game. That is a PATRON.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/19/13 - 05:42 pm
Itsanotherday

I have it on good authority that the National was buying many of those tickets anonymously. Next year, some folks currently on the list may be in for a surprise when their ticket application fails to show in the mail. But, this is a very tough policy to enforce. Suppose they made you show ID with the badge upon entry? That would certainly fix the problem. However, your wife's uncle would not have been able to share his tickets if that measure was in place. Do you have any suggestions?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 06:47 pm
Is that wrong...

If you have tickets in the family & pass it to others...why not..in the family.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 07:31 pm
Do you have any suggestions?

Yeeehhhh...give the tickets to me & let me share them as I see fit...lol....:)
see ya in am...

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 07:53 pm
If any Richmond County

If any Richmond County employees are involved in this brokering of tickets in businesses inside the half-mile radius from the National they should be charged. Maybe the RCSO spokespeople should address the issue of whether arrests will be made if this is the case as they were last year on the street by the National.

whiteflighttocc1
whiteflighttocc1 06/19/13 - 08:03 pm
Who is this guy????

This Joe Mullins is the same clown who had campaign contribution problems with his employees with wright McLeod last election cycle. He also owns and operates rental property in town. Don’t rent from him. I don’t know all the places he owns but I know he owns Brandywine Townhomes on Boy Scout Road. What a dump owned by a sleazy guy. I hope they get him good. He also claims to run events for Columbia County Amphitheatre but I find it hard to believe anyone would be foolish enough to do business with this guy.

jmo
jmo 06/19/13 - 09:01 pm
Canadians were never....

that smart anyway. lol. Just joking.

dsjohn67
dsjohn67 06/19/13 - 10:07 pm
Global has a few skeletons

A lawsuit is only one side of the story. This Global Co. has some reputation issues. http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Global-Events-Management-Group-Inc/Toronto...

dsjohn67
dsjohn67 06/19/13 - 10:13 pm
Global has a few skeletons

A lawsuit is only one side of the story. This Global company has some reputation issues. http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Global-Events-Management-Group-Inc/Toronto...

class1
class1 06/20/13 - 07:29 am
Put their photos are the

Put their photos are the badges and allow only them to use the badges.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 06/20/13 - 09:17 am
According to sources at AGNC,

According to sources at AGNC, there are a great number of electronic means that can easily determine which ticket/badge holder resells for profit, and those are being pursued aggressively. Their goal is to provide a reasonably priced golf venue for the spectator golfers of the world, not to make a tournament only accessible to the rich. Of course there is only so much they can do, but I would not accuse them of turning a blind eye. People who listed their tickets on eBay or Craigslist that were trackable had their tickets revoked, for example.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/20/13 - 09:22 am
JTF, if the AGNC were doing

JTF, if the AGNC were doing as you asserted, then they are doing exactly as I suggest. They should make it perfectly clear to the badgeholders in a letter about the consequences, then continue randomly buying back tickets on the blackmarket. That will open up slots on the waiting list for others who are intertested in golf, not profiteering.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/20/13 - 09:26 am
Walter, we were typing at the

Walter, we were typing at the same time. If your sources are accurate, it is great to hear, and I guarantee you that the scalpers will be fewer in the future.

ragingbull
ragingbull 06/20/13 - 10:18 am
"When Global customers

"When Global customers reached Augusta, there were no tickets," If I was going to Canada for a prestigious golf tournament, and I knew I stood a better chance of beating a murder rap than getting tickets to this event, I would want the promised tickets in my hand before getting on the plane. The greed and stupidity and gullibility of some people.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/20/13 - 11:37 am
Further to the discussion above...

I'm wondering if the reason that Mullins could not provide the promised badges was because his sources had dried up due to more aggressive policing of the anti-scalping policy. Fewer available badges would also cause the price to rise, perhaps making Mullins lose money on this deal which in turn might have caused him to renege on his side of the bargain.

Just a thought.

rocketserve
rocketserve 06/20/13 - 11:41 am
Nothing new...

This type of ticket brokering for international groups has been going on for years. My mother used to work for a big hotel on Washington Road and every year she would have the same guy book blocks of rooms for people coming in and using the badges for one day. This guy would just sit in the lobby and keep track of who was coming and going from sun up to midnight. Then the next week he would move on to Hilton Head and do the same thing. As far as Mullins being involved, not a huge shocker to me at all.

corgimom
corgimom 06/20/13 - 11:56 am
You can't sue for

You can't sue for nonperformance of an illegal contract. It's illegal to resell the badges.

And he provided the transportation and the lodging.

Good luck to the Canadians, I don't think they will win this one.

People never learn, there's a sucker born every minute.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/20/13 - 12:15 pm
Corgimom

It is not illegal to sell the badges except within a surrounding area of the venue.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 06/20/13 - 01:09 pm
I've Got A Question...

How does one amass over 100 Master's badges? At least a couple of people I know that have been getting badges for years, sell them each year, and I understand that. But being able to amass 100, and I'm guessing he has been doing this for a few years?? I wish I had been able to afford a couple so that I could've taken my Father-in-Law, before he passed away. It would've blown him away...

corgimom
corgimom 06/20/13 - 01:58 pm
It's legal if Mullins Mgmt

It's legal if Mullins Mgmt was a licensed ticket broker, but the AC didn't say. Any thoughts, AC?

But you have to laugh at the idea that 100 people could fly to Augusta from Canada, get 4 to 5 days of lodging, and get 4-day badges for $342,000.

When something is too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

David Parker
David Parker 06/20/13 - 02:31 pm
Corgimom

Ain't that the truth. I like it though. My chances for getting badges just went up. Still along way to go, but moving in the right direction.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/20/13 - 06:04 pm
Didn't a gentleman

commit suicide in 1997 because he couldn't produce tickets after being paid by customers?

gladtobeinna
gladtobeinna 06/20/13 - 07:08 pm
Pay attention to the article.

Pay attention to the article. This group had successfully purchased 100 tickets in 2012. Of course they trusted Mullins in 2013. This sounds similar to a situation that ended tragically several years back. Mullins Management promised something they were unable to deliver. I am sure that sooner or later the Augusta National will get control of the ticket brokering situation and control all of this themselves.

donna658
donna658 06/20/13 - 10:17 pm
Corgimom, I think the amount

Corgimom, I think the amount was for lodging and tickets, not flights. Doesn't state if lodging was houses or hotels. People sell these tickets all the time. The National choses if they sell them badges the next year if they are resold. To the person who suggest they buy the tickets being scalped....Why? Why would they need or want to do this? Doesn't make sense.

gladtobeinna
gladtobeinna 06/20/13 - 10:23 pm
When someone sells an

When someone sells an entertainment package the amenities are not necessarily itemized. Selling housing and transportation along with tickets has been going on for 25 plus years. Keep in mind that patrons do not receive their badges until just a few weeks before the tournament. It is not uncommon at all for the badges to be held here. Also, keep in mind since 1997 whatever happens with Tiger affects the price of badges. Didn't he win the Arnold Palmer in March? That definitely pushed the price up. Like I said before... promising something you can't deliver.

Brandy55
Brandy55 06/21/13 - 07:28 am
What's up with this global

What's up with this global company: they look like they do this for a living.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...