Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Marijuana operation found in Burke County

Friday, June 14, 2013 7:41 PM
Last updated 8:25 PM

The Burke County Sheriff’s Office is looking for a suspect in connection with a large marijuana operation found Thursday afternoon.

Deputies responded to a call at Hephzibah-Key Road shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday, where a homeowner reported that a man had been tending more than 100 marijuana plants in the woods behind his home, a statement from the sheriff’s office said.

Police found plants there in different stages of growth, from juvenile plants in pots to larger ones in the ground. Deputies also found handtools and empty fertilizer bags, the statement said. The plants have been pulled and destroyed.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 06/14/13 - 09:27 pm
Pot Plot

Just poison the pot and let the drug dealers make short work of the pot problem in Burke Co.

ragingbull
ragingbull 06/14/13 - 11:56 pm
We just smiled and waved, as

We just smiled and waved, as they drove away, sitting there on that sack of seeds! Y'all come back now, ya hear!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/15/13 - 12:05 am
Oldredneck

Yep, I wish there was a substance they could spray on the plants that would make the user get the screaming dirties and dizzy pukes. A couple of episodes of that and they would be careful about buying from anyone.

Bizkit
32046
Bizkit 06/15/13 - 01:04 am
Brilliant Idea there

Brilliant Idea there it'sanotherday1 there is a drug that blocks the cannabinoid receptors =SR141716. You could spray it on the pot and the consumer would get nada. Probably work better as a deterrence than the present methods. People get busted-no prison but a prescription of this drug which would quench any pot habit. A Neutralization Program. Pretty cool eh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/13 - 01:39 am
Grow it legally and tax it.

Grow it legally and tax it. This is similar to the ineffective Prohibition Era.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 06/15/13 - 05:00 am
Billions if not trillions of

Billions if not trillions of dollars spent and millions of lives ruined from the policies of controlling a relatively harmless plant. I'm with River on this one. Grow it legally and tax it, just like tobacco. Let people grow it at home for personal use, just like tobacco.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/15/13 - 07:21 am
I can't for the life of me

I can't for the life of me figure out why marijuana is less legal than alcohol.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/15/13 - 07:27 am
Marijuana has only one

Marijuana has only one purpose and that is to get a person stoned. Just what we need, if we want to be like Mexico.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/15/13 - 07:35 am
Drunk vs Stoned

You can have a glass of wine or a quick Dewars on the rocks and not be drunk. Couple tokes on a number and you are a goner.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/15/13 - 08:06 am
If you had to put your child

If you had to put your child on one of two buses, and one driver just smoked a joint....the other is legally drunk...which one would you choose?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/15/13 - 08:15 am
If I had to put my child on

If I had to put my child on one of two buses, and one driver just smoked a joint...the other is legally drunk...which one would you choose? Neither. I'd call the law. I've seen what BOTH do to people. No way I'm putting my child on that bus.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/15/13 - 08:20 am
I can't understand why

I can't understand why "conservatives" dislike marijuana so much. It's a 100% natural plant, not additives, etc. When you look at cigarettes, alcohol, pills - every one of those have something in there that is chemically addictive. If you get drunk on alcohol, you're done until the next morning. Marijuana will get you stoned but after an hour or two and a bag of chips you're just sleepy.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/15/13 - 08:25 am
H Angie

The stoned one hahaha - he'd drive a lot slower

belle
belle 06/15/13 - 08:36 am
Why not legalize?

One main (and very good) reason....As Colorado has discovered, Marijuana stays in the system for a long time. If an employee shows up for work clearly under the influence of something you can't just test them and fire them if it's marijuana because you can't prove how long ago they smoked it. Alcohol is clearly tested.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/15/13 - 09:13 am
Bod's idea has merit. Just

Bod's idea has merit. Just make it legal to grow your own with a strict limit on how much, and a license for it so the Gov could make a buck to pay for enforcement.
I don't know what it takes to grow it, but if it is no more trouble than a potted plant, I imagine it would put a big dent in the demand from points south and reduce a lot of street crime locally.

allhans
allhans 06/15/13 - 09:18 am
Ok.. Who owns that field?

Ok.... Who owns that field?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/15/13 - 09:37 am
Autumnleaves....have you seen

Autumnleaves....have you seen scientific studies as to what both do to reaction time and perception?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/15/13 - 10:07 am
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/15/13 - 10:21 am
Dangit Angela

How many times do I have to tell you not to let the facts get in the way of a good story?

On a more serious note. I will admit that I have smoked my share of marijuana in the past. Along with plenty of alcohol. Not once did I have the urge to go hit somebody after smoking a joint. Unfortunately I still have some scares on my body from where I was ten feet tall and bulletproof after drinking. Smoke a little dope and about the only things on your mind are where are the munchies and what chair is the most comfortable.

Yes I still enjoy adult beverages, in moderation. I do not use pot, only because it's illegal and I have to much to loose if caught. Somebody has to work and pay taxes so the entitlement crowd can sit at home smoking and joking all day.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/15/13 - 10:24 am
I screwed up this time...

Not only have I put myself on a watch list because I called an AMERICAN company and was greeted with "Hal-oh, I am named Jah-ree. How may I be helping you today?" Now I am on a DEA watch list.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/15/13 - 11:09 am
Probably should read Hephzibah Keysville rd

Minor detail from "Staff reprots."

allhans
allhans 06/15/13 - 01:40 pm
A guy I know loves his pot.

A guy I know loves his pot. The only trouble is that his wife can't get him to work. He just kinda mellows out and to heck with a job....

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/15/13 - 03:50 pm
Pot

Is a recreation not an occupation -Killer, don't tell I said this I don't want the DEA out here either :) and a Bloody Mary is allowed!

8 horses loose on I-20

Eight horses that got loose from a nearby pasture and briefly wandered along Interstate 20 were safely rounded up Monday afternoon.