Crime & Courts Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man arrested in assault, carjacking

Friday, June 14, 2013 11:42 AM
Last updated 7:38 PM

An Augusta man has been charged in a carjacking and assault on Broad Street.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

According to a news release, Richmond County sheriff’s deputies were called at 2:44 a.m. Friday to the 1100 block of Broad Street, where they met Vanika Walcott, 27, of Grovetown.

Walcott told police she was trying to enter her 2006 Nissan Armada when she was approached by a man who threw her to the ground, punched her in the face several times and drove off in the sport utility vehicle.

Less than an hour later, police identified the suspect as Levon Smiley, 29, of Tallowtree Street.

Smiley was booked into the jail on charges of hijacking a motor vehicle and battery.

The vehicle was recovered in the 1700 block of Broad Street.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/14/13 - 12:03 pm
Geesh!...You'd think someone

Geesh!...You'd think someone with a name like "Smiley" would be a good person! I guess now his new name will be "Prisoner #1234567"!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/14/13 - 12:29 pm
How can this happen in the

How can this happen in the CBD???

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/14/13 - 12:41 pm
In all honesty. that 6 block

In all honesty.

that 6 block car jacking is going to cost the taxpayer 3 to 5 years
and 3 to 5 in probation.

Using a previously release inmate cost per day figure of about $122 a day in related costs. 3 in Prison years = 3 x 365x$122 = $133,590.00
3 years on Probation @ $25a day x 3x 365 = $27,375.00
Approximate Total $160,965.00

So tell us again who really got robbed here?

csrareader
csrareader 06/14/13 - 12:49 pm
nocnoc, money well spent.

nocnoc, money well spent. I'm sure you don't advocate just ignoring these crimes?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/14/13 - 02:38 pm
Another reason for bars to

Another reason for bars to close at 12. It is obvious it is in the wee hours when these predators like to prowl.

Frank I
Frank I 06/14/13 - 03:17 pm
if bars close

if bars change the hour at which they close, criminals will just adjust the hours which they attack.. how far do you want to go in changing your life to accommodate the criminals?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/14/13 - 04:42 pm
I disagree Frank. Go out at

I disagree Frank. Go out at 3-4-5 in the morning and see who is up prowling the streets. Not people in quiet middle class neighborhoods I guarantee you.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/14/13 - 04:56 pm
From "The Jail Report"

"Smiley is a repeat offender who was sentenced to five years in prison in 2009 for felony theft, but a judge released him early after a 2010 hearing. He was also found guilty of criminal damage to property and multiple counts of child cruelty before a judge gave him probation, which he continues to serve. In two cases, a judge ordered mental health treatment for Smiley."

What in the name of Ned was this loser doing on the streets in view of his history? Just another example of juducial laxness playing catch and release so they can commit more crimes.

KSL
KSL 06/14/13 - 07:06 pm
I cannot begin to imagine how

I cannot begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to law enforcement. They do a marvelous job of catching them.

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/15/13 - 07:24 am
What happened to Grand Theft Auto?

A major crime? Major time. More manipulation of the "No Justice System".

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/15/13 - 12:03 pm
Yep, LEO's do a great job

Then some panty waist judge tells them they were a bad boy and not to do it again. Bad boy is then released and preys on somebody else. A never ending cycle.

itsVanika
itsVanika 08/05/16 - 10:47 am
It was me this happened to

I'm the person that this attack happened to. Now, I'm a lot more cautious of my surroundings and whom approaches me. @itsanotherday1, there are all types of individuals out during that time of night/morning. Just because someone awake and out at that hour does not give one the right to label another as a 'bad person'. Being that I was one of the "people in quiet middle class neighborhoods" out during that night as you've stated, has already proved your obnoxious and insensitive opinion to be quite wrong. In my 'quiet middle class neighborhood' of Grovetown, everything closes early, so I decided to go downtown, since I knew that there were bars and restaurants open at that hour. I was simply looking for something to eat, because my kids were at their grandparents' out of state for summer vacation, and I stayed up almost every night until the wee hours because I was surprising them all with room makeovers. I hadn't eaten all day, and didn't realize that my lack of grocery shopping for myself would take me downtown, but it shouldn't matter where or when I go somewhere, being that I'm an adult. Please do not put labels where they don't belong!

itsVanika
itsVanika 08/05/16 - 10:53 am
one more thing...

I also forgot to state that it was not a waste of our taxes. In the end, not only did this man have to serve years for violating probation, but the judge stated that after that sentence, he was to serve 5 years for the crime against me, so he got a consecutive sentence. Not only that, the judge said that if he were to violate probation after he was released this time, he has to serve an additional 11 years. In summary for my crime, he got 5 years plus 11 years probation. I do feel bad, because I learned that he has a very young child, and the child in the end, will have to suffer for his actions. I have forgiven him a long time ago, and hopefully this time around, he learns his lesson. Thanks to all that genuinely showed sympathy (possibly empathy) for what I went through!