Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Three handguns stolen from Augusta home

Richmond County authorities are looking for a suspect after a burglary in which three handguns were stolen.

George Anderson, of Augusta, told deputies that two .40-caliber semi-automatic pistols and a .357-caliber revolver were stolen from his Brendell Drive home between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Sat­urday, an incident report said.

The three guns were valued at $600 each.

Anderson alerted police when he returned home to find his bedroom lights
on and his drawers ransacked.

Deputies noticed the front bedroom window was open with the screen cut.

Anderson told police that his back door was not locked, the report said.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/09/13 - 12:00 am
SB 108, passed by the

SB 108, passed by the California Senate last month requires all gun owners to lock their weapons in a gun safe when they are away from their residence. Subject to a $1000 fine. It is now being debated in the state assembly. I'm not saying this is good or bad, I'm just sayin'

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/09/13 - 01:28 am
Yes...let's victimize the victims

Anything California does should make you want to do the exact opposite.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/09/13 - 01:43 am
I'm just the messenger here.

So the EXACT opposite of a law requiring you to lock up your weapons when they are unattended would be a law requiring you to leave them unlocked. Look, I didn't post this information for idiots to chime in. I'm just passing along information. I lock mine up all the time when I'm out and I don't need a law to make me do it.

myfather15
myfather15 06/09/13 - 05:46 am
California politicians are simply brilliant, right?

How do they plan to enforce this law? Do regular home inspections? Without warrants?

"Excuse me sir or maam, but the next time you leave your home; I'm gonna need a key so that I can enter and inspect your home to make sure you've locked your firearms in a safe."

OR; as in this case, when the victim of the theft reports it, he gets charged for not having them locked in a safe. Which COULD result in people deciding NOT to report the theft, for fear of their own prosecution. Which would result in MORE firearms on the streets that HAVEN'T been reported stolen, because the victim didn't want criminal charges.

In my 16 years of law enforcement; I can't count the number of times I stopped someone for traffic violations, to run a check on a firearm in the vehicle and discover it's been reported stolen. Bottom line is; YES, it's important to REPORT your fireamrs stolen, with make, model and serial#; so it can be entered into GCIC/NCIC as a stolen firearm.

Do you think California's new law might prevent some of these reports? Hhhhmmmmmm, don't think on it too long.

myfather15
myfather15 06/09/13 - 05:47 am
BUT, maybe........

If we completely BAN firearms, especially handguns; they wouldn't be in this persons house to steal, right? That's probably the "rational logic" politicians will come up with next.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/13 - 06:52 am
First Clue

Start looking at some of your "Friends".

How would anyone know you had 3 handguns and by the report, nothing else was taken??????

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 07:21 am
Esp your kids friends

Look at your kids friends ....we had guns taken from us in the 70s....daughters friends knew where to look....knew when we were gone.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 07:32 am
A $1000 fine

Think about this....YOU are fined for some jerks breaking into your home & stealing.......now that is the same as saying YOU will be fined if your wife is raped because maybe you should put a chastity belt on her every time you leave the house....
Can we just punish every human for every stinking thing a criminal does...I mean really....what if they set fire to your house....can we punish the homeownere for that too.....say he should leave sprinklers running 24/7 .....HOW STUPID CAN WE GET..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 07:35 am
Sometimes

Sometimes I just want to move away from humans....where can I go withot these stupid laws...where where ...

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/09/13 - 08:32 am
Most Gun safes that sale for Under $600

Most Gun safes that sale for under $600
are only a 2 to 4 minute deterrent at best.

Common knowledge
Knock off the dial and take a center punch insert it in the now dial hole hit the 8" punch a few times at most with a small hammer or sledge, knock off the inside locking mechanism, turn the handle and a thief is in.

Poor Man Alternative Solution
In the past I have drilled 2 holes in my closet slab floor, installed 2 Heavy Duty Industrial Eye Bolts into the slab foundation, then ran a coated braided cable through the eye bolts and through the trigger ports and secured the cable in the middle, or to the easiest Eye Bolt to reach, with a real solid heavy duty padlock like http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AMERICAN-LOCK-Keyed-Padlock-1JAD7?Pid=s...

BTW: Leave no Ammo around for the firearms.

Cost
1 hour sweat equity
1 mason drill and large 5/8's or larger drill bit
2 Heavy Duty Eye bolts with industrial concrete inserts 5/8's or larger
10 ft rubber Coated thief / cut resistant braided cable with security eyelets
1 Heavy Duty Padlock with 3 extra keys
Deterrent time with Hack saw with harden cutting blade on hand
4 to 5 mins or never without the right hacksaw blade.

<$120 or a lot less than most Gun Safes

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/09/13 - 08:39 am
Thanks noc noc

Will you now post the process for using two hex wrenches to open locks.
And the dreaded 24 inch pipe wrench on the door knob.

"Locks are for honest people" LOL LOL

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/09/13 - 09:04 am
"Which COULD result in people

"Which COULD result in people deciding NOT to report the theft, for fear of their own prosecution."

Yep, I expect that is exactly what most folks would do. But this is typical of the "it's not the criminal's fault so let's punish the gun owner" game today. Won't be long until it's "I'm sorry sir, you should have secured your 3 TVs before you left home. You are being cited for leaving your stuff unsecured in your home."

Yes, I do believe in responsible gun ownership. And sure, it's a good thing to secure your weapons. But not everyone can afford a 500 lb. gun safe sagging the floor joists in their bedroom. But I don't believe in charging a home owner if a weapon gets stolen from their home any more that I do in charging a home owner if a knife, or TV, or diamond earrings get stolen from their home.

What about a person with a carry permit who is going about their daily business and has to go into a government building or business where no weapons are allowed or has to meet someone at the airport? If they put their weapon in the glove compartment and lock their car and someone breaks into their car and steals the weapon, are we going to fine them for that too?

KSL
KSL 06/09/13 - 09:09 am
How long does it take you to

How long does it take you to get a gun ready to do its job? Don't answer it here.

KSL
KSL 06/09/13 - 09:13 am
California needs to fall off

California needs to fall off into the ocean.

KSL
KSL 06/09/13 - 09:24 am
Let's do the math here. I

Let's do the math here. I have a $600 gun stolen and I am going to report it and be fined $1000? So I am out $1600 because someoe broke into my private property and violated my space?

It is always easier to punish the victim, ain't it?

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/09/13 - 09:40 am
his drawers ransacked

Now this crime is worse that the gun theft. He can replace the guns, but never recover from the private invasion.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for killing, this is for fun."

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/09/13 - 09:41 am
Look people, when I made my

Look people, when I made my post I was counting on the majority of you to understand the point I was trying to convey. I forgot than many gun owners brain shuts down when any type of legislation is mentioned. So I'll try to be more clear.
1) The three handguns that were stolen are probably going to end up in the hands of a person who is prohibited from owning them. (Or else they would have gone through the legal channels).
2) No gun owner reading this would ever want his or her gun ending up in the hands of a prohibited person
Signed,
A responsible (I hope) gun owner

Darby
Darby 06/09/13 - 09:42 am
"....daughters friends knew where to

look....knew when we were gone."

My kids never knew where my weapons were kept. All they knew was that I had one on me at all times.

As far as my kids knew, that was the only one other than a soviet rifle I kept in the attic.

Darby
Darby 06/09/13 - 09:45 am
Find out where California is going...

...then run, don't walk in the exact opposite direction.....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/13 - 11:12 am
Sorry nocnoc

but I have a very gut feeling that you really are not up to snuff on Gun Safes. Yes the one you get at Lowes, Home Depot and some sporting shop most often will fall in you comments about Gun Safes.

Do me a favor and view a video on Gun Safes. Been in Gun Safe business for going on 20 years now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 09:51 am
Darby

My kids--& others know more than you can even imagine....they knew every inch of our home & if they needed to use the dang thing (possible yaknow) they knew where to find it..wish we could wrap our children in safety wrap & they would never be harmed....but that isn't possible.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 09:56 am
GAD

I get what you are saying about guns...& yes it makes sense to keep all guns as safe as possible...but stop with the fines on innocent home owners....we can't start this nonesense ....can't you see where this would go?? Next thing you know an innocent couple sitting on the riverwalk would be fined because some jerk came up with a bat & beat their brains out....see what I'm saying here..... you could say they should protect their body at all times...

WE HAVE TO STOP BLAMING THE VICTIMS...PLEEEZE FOLKS GET A GRIP ON THIS CRAP!

KSL
KSL 06/09/13 - 10:07 am
I wod love to have a gun safe

I wod love to have a gun safe like CG iz talking about. And actually I have a son who needs one. But any gun I might have needs to be totally readily accessible. Without me wearing it around the house.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 10:10 am
Link didn't work for me cgee

Try this one.....nice ad btw....smart guy...I wonder where he got his smarts?? hahahah

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/09/13 - 10:10 am
SeenitB4, I never said I

SeenitB4, I never said I supported this, I was just putting it out there. I have to follow the rules where I live, even though I didn't make the rules. The entire time I lived in Georgia, I noticed that Georgia did not have even one silly law.
PS: You don't EVEN want to know about SB755! California follows federal law, pretty much, about lifetime bans on weapons (felonies, domestic violence, etc). The state goes a step further and has a list of misdemeanors (about a page long) that will ban you for 10 years. Most of the misdemeanors are gun or violence related. However SB755 adds to the 10 year list 2 alcohol related misdemeanors within 3 years. Example: get a DUI and then less than 3 years later, get a drunk in public--result: either sell your weapons or have the sheriff lock them up at the station for 10 years.

KSL
KSL 06/09/13 - 10:12 am
Seenit, you are so right

Fine people for not having their jewelry locked up, or their silver flatware, or their electronics? It is so easy to go after the victims and the law abiding people.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/09/13 - 10:14 am
KSL: "California needs to

KSL: "California needs to fall off into the ocean."
People I love and care about live there. You wouldn't want them to drown, would you?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 10:15 am
Sure Ga has some stupid laws

We probably break a law everytime we walk out of the house.....but you just got our dander up with that fine on the homeowner thingy.....just like ksl said...gun costs $600...you know someone stole the dang thing BUT if you report it you will pay $1600....dudh duh..of course folks would STOP reporting....see how stupid that law is....

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/09/13 - 10:19 am
I swear to you that I'm not

I swear to you that I'm not trying to get your dander up! But I neglected to mention one other thing in my initial post. The proposed law also makes it a misdemeanor for failing to report a lost or stolen weapon within 48 hours.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/13 - 10:21 am
Stupid laws in Ga

crazy laws all over the place.....really crazy stuff.

City to consider emergency plan

The Richmond County Emer­gency Management Agency has drafted changes to emergency operating procedures. Overlooked, however, were several pages of emergency contact data riddled with ...