Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Bride still critical after wreck that killed groom

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:31 PM
Last updated 6:41 PM

A bride who was injured in an Appling wreck that killed her groom shortly after their Saturday wedding remains in critical condition, according to a Georgia Regents Medical Center spokeswoman.

Crystal Lynn Krentler, 35, was traveling with her husband, Brian Allen Orzechowski, 36, when he crossed the center line on Washington Road around 9 p.m. and struck an oncoming vehicle.

Krentler was airlifted to Georgia Regents Medical Center. Orzechowski died from blunt force trauma.

The couple were believed to be traveling to Pointes West Army Resort at Lake Thurmond when the crash occurred.

Torvoy Curry, 35, who was driving the other vehicle, was treated for injuries not considered life threatening. Police said he was driving on a suspended license and had an open container in the vehicle.

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 06/04/13 - 04:15 pm
Sad Story

Even sadder that the grooms mother believes there is some kind of cover-up going on. I hope that, with time, she is able to come to terms with her son's death. It was heart breaking hearing her talk about her son asking her to stand up with him when he was married because she was his best friend.

whyme
whyme 06/04/13 - 07:49 pm
Response

I don't know these folks, Cricket, like it appears you do (hopefully you're not posting based on hearsay), but I think that if the groom's mom is concerned about the accident and investigation, it's only right that the entire process is followed through. Whether she is expressing her concerns with validity or just from heartbreak, hopefully she will get the answers she needs once things have been reviewed and addressed. It's too soon to dismiss her concerns or to act further. One step at a time. God bless all involved.

luvmykitty
luvmykitty 06/04/13 - 10:25 pm

This is very sad, but I am still trying to understand why the other person involved was driving on a suspended licsense and with an open container ?? not even supposed to be driving and I am not saying that he caused this accident but that to is how innocent people get killed everyday. Sad, sad, sad.

godseyleigh
godseyleigh 06/05/13 - 12:12 pm
wish people would not judge so quickly

I know the person in the other vehicle, no he should not have been driving on a suspended licenses, but, I do know that the "open container" occurred during the accident, he bought the drink, never opened it, when the cars collided it busted open. It is a very sad situation, people need to stop passing judgement, it was just a freak nasty, sad
accident

Grace422
Grace422 06/05/13 - 03:42 pm
Really Leigh???

Let's see he was willing to break the law and drive on public roads to buy a drink knowing he should not per the law.. Already sounds like he's got a problem if that is the case. Well bless his heart poor thing. I wonder if the suspended DL was a result of a prior driving & drinking or maybe no insurance. Up in that neck of the woods deer and other animals run out in front of your car on a regular bases. Maybe the groom was trying to avoid hitting something in the road and I have never heard of someone getting an open container ticket for a bottle or can that busted open as a result of a car accident. Who knows maybe the force of the accident pop the tab on that can of beer or twisted the top off of the bottle. I hope it was worth it! Bottoms up buddy! You should have keep you butt at home where it belong!

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 06/06/13 - 06:29 am
Today I will continue to pray

Today I will continue to pray for Crystal (yes, a friend and young lady I've known since she was a toddler) and that it would be God's will to heal her. I pray for the mother of her husband Brian who is so hurt and to all others who love and care for all involved. Judge not lest ye be judged. Lives have been tragically marred and hearts broken for many and the less negativity the quicker physical and emotional wounds will heal.

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 06/06/13 - 11:56 am
No whyme, I heard her say it myself

So it's not heresay. All I was saying is that as long as she believes that the truth isn't being told, she isn't going to be able to start any type of healing process. I've seen people get 'stuck' in the denial part of the so-called 'stages of grieving' and it's heart breaking. My hope for her is that she realize that regardless of whether her son crossed over into on- coming traffic or not, that doesn't make him a bad person or his death any less tragic. Anything could have happened to caused it. An animal in the road, a tire blow out, hi beams shining in his eyes, are all possibilities, we may never know for sure what caused it. I for one am not willing to speculate as to the cause. Bottom line, my heart goes out to her. I can't imagine a more terrible loss. I hope she gets the answers she needs so that she can heal.

As for the other driver, he had no business out on the road. Just because he may not have caused the accident (and I did say MAY not) he is still guilty of breaking the law and there is no getting around that. As far as the open container goes, a breathalyzer can determine if he consumed any alcohol or not. Regardless, HE HAD NO BUSINESS BEHIND THE WHEEL. No excuses. That my dear is not judgement, that's a FACT!