Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Sanitation company worker finds stolen gun in garbage can

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:52 PM
Last updated 11:14 PM

A sanitation company employee reported finding a gun that turned out to be stolen while emptying trash cans Thursday on Merritt Road.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report, the employee was uncertain in which can he found the .22-caliber black handgun with a white handle.

When stolen weapons are recovered, Lt. Calvin Chew said investigators check to see whether they were possibly used in any crimes before returning them to owners.

Darby
Darby 05/24/13 - 10:37 pm
"When stolen weapons are recovered, Lt. Calvin

Chew said investigators check to see if they were possibly used in any crimes before returning them to owners."

Which is exactly what they should be doing. I assume that's standard protocol in every police and sheriff's department.

If the thing was dumped, it was almost certainly use in a crime of some sort. Why get rid of an otherwise "clean" piece?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/24/13 - 10:39 pm
Kudos to the person who

Kudos to the person who turned it in. Most wouldn't.

dwb619
dwb619 05/24/13 - 10:52 pm
cheap .380

The bride and I found a cheap .380 in the streets of the Cleveland Clinic a few years back. Called 911 and were surrounded in just minutes. I never touched it, just got close enough to see what it was. Now, if it had been a Colt 1911, that would have been a tough 911 call to make.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 05/24/13 - 11:27 pm
I'd like to say I'd do the same

... but living in Grovetown where BB guns are considered assault weapons, I'd fear reporting a firearm and being arrested for being a person of interest in the vicinity of a weapon of mass destruction.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/24/13 - 11:38 pm
If that is the case,

If that is the case, dstewartsr, I think I should move to Grovetown. My property and/or I have been shot at with everything from eggs, produce (enough to make a salad with, but those were the only projectiles I thought were a bit comedic), BB's, pellets, to 9mm bullets and could get precious little done about it in my county.

Darby
Darby 05/25/13 - 12:47 am
"Now, if it had been a Colt 1911, that would

have been a tough 911 call to make."

Yeah, or a Walther PPK. Alway wanted one of those. It really would be hard to do...

KSL
KSL 05/25/13 - 09:27 am
My son inherited a Colt 1911

My son inherited a Colt 1911 from his father-in-law.

dwb619
dwb619 05/25/13 - 10:00 am
1911

Oh , I have one. Bought it for myself when I turned fifty, September 11,2001.

jimmymac
jimmymac 05/25/13 - 11:35 am
Walther PPK

Darby, I have a Walther PPKS and it's a wonderful adition to any gun collection. Loaded with Hornady 380 high performane rounds it's very accurate with little recoil. Give yourself a gift and go out and get one.

Darby
Darby 05/25/13 - 09:28 pm
jimmymac

I'm really giving it serious consideration.

I've been a good boy all this year. Maybe an early Christmas present.