Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Threat of Taser use often enough for deputies

Devices often not used when deputies pull

Richmond County authorities are finding that just the sight and warning that they will use their recently issued Tasers is often enough to make a person compliant.

“The mere fact the officer says (he has a Taser) quells the whole situation. It’s amazing,” said Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew.

More than 300 officers trained with the Tasers for about a month before being equipped with them in late March.

Each time a Taser is pulled from its holster, the deputy must file a Use of Force form through the Inter­nal Affairs department. Reports show Tasers have been drawn 68 times.

“We tell them if they don’t comply we’re going to have to use the Taser,” Chew said. “Some still don’t comply.”

In 32 cases, the weapon was shot, and in five the officer used a “drive stun,” putting the Taser against someone’s body instead of firing. There was one case of accidental discharge at a deputy’s home.

During training, each officer had to be shot with the Taser to understand the amount of electricity they would be using.

Chew said there was an initial fear that officers would make the wrong decision when choosing between their firearm and Taser, but so far officers are making good decisions. Use of Force reports show that most of the time the Taser is replacing hand-to-hand combat.

“If I’m pulling out my gun, it’s because I’m using deadly force,” Chew said. “Tasers are
one tier below deadly force.”
A few weeks after getting the Tasers, a deputy used one to thwart a suicide attempt.

A woman at an Augusta apartment was armed with a gun and threatening suicide. One deputy fired his Taser, causing the woman to drop the gun, while two others covered him with their firearms.
Because of budget constraints, only one-third of deputies have Tasers. The sheriff’s office’s goal is to equip all officers.

TASER USE

Accidental discharge 1

Used as “drive stun” 5

Weapon was fired 32

Pulled from holster 68

(includes all uses)

rational thought trumps emotion
rational thought trumps emotion 05/19/13 - 08:19 pm
All Deputies Need Them

An agency like this should have had these many years ago. It is clear that they are saving the county money in use of force situations, reducing hand to hand combat is preventing officers and others from permanent injuries and saves on workers comp. claims.

The commission needs to give them the money to provide ALL deputies with a Taser immediately - there is no excuse for not having all necessary tools possible to reduce injuries and save a life.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/19/13 - 09:30 pm
Sean, Is there something wrong with this paragraph?

"A woman at an Augusta apartment was armed with a gun and threatening suicide. One deputy discharged his Taser, causing the woman to drop the gun, while two others covered him with their firearms."

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/20/13 - 09:10 am
I love taser use by law enforcement!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttt!
OW! OW OW OW OW OW OW!!
Thud (perp falls to ground).
Problem solved

rebellious
20685
rebellious 05/20/13 - 08:01 am
Seriously?????

"Each time a Taser is pulled from its holster, the deputy must file a Use of Force form through the Inter­nal Affairs department."

Is the same requirement in place for the Glock? Seems like useless Gvmt paperwork, you know....last name first, first name last, triplicate, sign here, print your name here, etc...

For a non-lethal solution, drop the nonsense. How many times will that split second delay because an officer is thinking "I gotta fill out that stinkin report if I pull the Taser" cause a perp to get the upper hand or turn a situation the wrong way?

I do wonder how many Tasers the Sheriff's raise money would have purchased. Just saying......

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 05/20/13 - 12:20 pm
I'm with you Dixieman

I LOVE it when they use the Tasers. I love hearing that clicking sound that it makes followed by watching the idiot hit the ground. When Cops first aired, I loved it when they brought in the dogs. Now it's all about the Tasers. Non-lethal force, ya gotta love it!

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/20/13 - 02:02 pm
Just to be the Devil's Advocate

Just to be the Devil's Advocate, it may also take the fear of dying from a suspect if he is making trouble and won't obey.

my.voice
my.voice 05/20/13 - 02:26 pm
"Threat of Taser use often

"Threat of Taser use often enough for deputies"

and

USE of Taser is ALWAYS enough for deputies

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/20/13 - 02:51 pm
Reports show Tasers have been drawn 68 times.

Just how many times were they drawing their guns. I am all for tasers. Just curious to know how someone knows just the tasers are enough. The reason I ask is because someone that isn't afraid of a bullet will likely not be swayed by a non lethal electrical charge. I would also add that the raise and the non needed SUV would have helped arm the remaining deputies...priorities....

my.voice
my.voice 05/20/13 - 03:21 pm
GnipGnop, I think the two

GnipGnop, I think the two cases (guns or Tasers) are different. The officer is going to use deadly force when its needed. He isnt going to use a taser when there is a threat against his own safety or that of others. The threat of a taser has to be a deterrent, even if its ONE, its a deterrent.

john
john 05/20/13 - 04:35 pm
glad they have them

I recently served on the Richmond County grand jury. It was unbelievable how many cases we heard where someone decided to fight the deputies putting them at risk and sometimes injuring them badly. Now its ZAP! fight over.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/20/13 - 06:34 pm
I agree my.voice

I just wouldn't make a statement like that without the data to back it up. I like the tasers. I just hope like, another poster said, the paperwork doesn't make someone pause in a violent situation.

rational thought trumps emotion
rational thought trumps emotion 05/20/13 - 10:45 pm
Tasers Save Lives, Reduce Injuries and Save Tax Money

Most departments require a form to be filled out when you draw your Taser in an effort to show just how effective they are without even having to be deployed. The public wants stats in order to scrutinize all actions of the police and this is what it has come to. In the majority of the above cases, this would have ended up with physical contact between the deputy and the arrestee or the person in jail. However, 2 out of every 3 deputies still have to fight people to the ground, etc. because they don’t have Tasers as they should.