Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Garbage man robbed while working

An Advanced Disposal employee was robbed Friday morning while collecting trash in front of a south Augusta home.

The 51-year-old told Richmond County authorities that a man approached him with a black pistol and demanded his wallet as he collected trash from a residence on the 2400 block of Eagle Drive, near Lumpkin Road, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

The robber took the man’s wallet, containing about $300, before he jumped the back fence of the home and fled toward Birdie Drive.

The victim’s co-worker was on the other side of the truck collecting trash and didn’t see the crime occur. The incident happened at about 6:45 a.m.

Officers arrived about five minutes later but were unable to find the suspect.

Darby
Darby 05/10/13 - 11:23 pm
Bet that trashman is

really down in the dumps...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/11/13 - 12:17 am
Considering these jobs are on

Considering these jobs are on the lower end of the scale, I imagine this poor fellow had all of his wealth in his pocket. I feel for him.

josephpshores
josephpshores 05/11/13 - 12:24 am
When will Augusta embrace consolidation

This incident did not happen in south Augusta. Eagle drive and Lumpkin road are located in the central area of Augusta-Richmond county. You all wanted to hyphen the name so now lets call them as correct. To get to south Augusta-Richmond, you have to go south of Tobacco road. The center of the Augusta-Richmond county is Tobacco road and Windsor springs road.

WTFH
WTFH 05/11/13 - 12:31 am
josephpshores Sorry, that is

josephpshores

Sorry, that is and always will be LA or South Augusta.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/13 - 04:30 am
Richmond County Still Exists

JShores, yep, Richmond County still exists ya know. It didn't go away because of consolidation. I guess you will really be upset when South Augusta breaks away to form its own city.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 05/11/13 - 08:00 am
Stopping robberies

What a low-life scum sucker. Now we have to arm the garbageman??? These low-life scum sucker, worthless vermin need to meet a victim that has the means and opportunity to defend themselves. Scum sucking vermin like this need to be exterminated. There is no excuse, NONE, for this kind of behavior. It was 6:45 in the morning. Why wasn't this thug asleep, working, or in school? These punks are real men with a gun, huh? If he keeps on, my only hope is that if anyone gets hurt or killed, it's not the victim.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/11/13 - 08:11 am
Hate to admit it but

US-25 and Windsor Spring from the 1960's-on has been the Southside, Even on the Maps. eg Southside Datsun.

I wonder if the Thief is the same one that did that home invasion a month ago in Flemming Heights?

Technically there is no Augusta.
It lost its charter when it went bankrupt. If it wasn't for Richmond Co. Taxpayer money covering its resumed overspending habits again, it would be bankrupt again.

It is called Augusta Richmond Co. only because it sounds better in that order, in my book anyway.

By The Way:
Some of us out here are working on a limited De-Consolidation proposal. We are looking into getting a 2014 question for Dist 8 voters on the ballot.

According to GA Consolidation rules and laws it is a legal
"Grass Roots" option that can be exercised at the taxpayer level.

There are also other options like joining Hephzibah Blythe and/or McBean, Which have rules in place to cease the abuse of Downtown tax and spend and the always latest Downtown Revitalization project costing taxpayers Million$ with every failure.

The organized dumping of Downtown's social, crime, and economic
problems to South of Gordon Hwy and now South Bobby Jones is a whole other subject.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/13 - 08:21 am
May I suggest something

My daddy always said it pays to have a throw down wallet....with the crime in the csra & the police can't be everywhere (we all know that)....a throw down is a wallet with a few dollars in it....nothing of real value....when the gun is held on you just throw it a few feet from you.,& if you are armed...USE THE DANG GUN..stop coddling these low life scumbags...call me anything you like posters....sometimes people just get enough!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/13 - 08:23 am
nocnoc

Have you ever thought of moving to Blythe.....it is nice from what I have heard..they will be getting a new Library soon too.

oldfella
oldfella 05/11/13 - 08:54 am
Human garbage robbing a garbage truck?

Just a thought, but who carries that much cash around unless you are on vacation or on your way to buy something/spend money and it's a "cash only" activity? I would be afraid of dropping my wallet and losing the money for one thing.

And this is just me, but I would have SCREAMED so loud my partner and the whole neighborhood would have heard me! Or, just instantly hauled [filtered word] and made a ruckus. Most thugs can't hit a moving target. At least that way there would be witnesses (hopefully) to the robbery.

Anyway, I guess we need to put signs on the garbage trucks saying "driver carries less than 50 dollars in cash" or something.

Anyway, that hard working trash-man will eventually have 300 dollars again, but that robber will never, ever have self respect, dignity, or decency, and will likely die a violent death or a lonely old man in prison. We live and die with our choices.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/11/13 - 09:07 am
south side

Yes, that is the southside of Augusta/Richmond County. I know because I moved away from that neighborhood, which is behind a country club and another older, more rundown neighborhood, as soon as it began to slide into the problems of an adjacent neighborhood a few years ago. I wasn't surprised to see this at all. The adjacent rundown neighborhood has been a known drug-trafficking area for years. Because of its proximity to Augusta Tech campus, therefore its students, they get a lot of traffic, which gives them a chance to tempt plenty of customers. We had theft, littering, harassment, nearby gunshots and suspicious activity problems there increasing despite all the hard work of the neighborhood association president and association.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/11/13 - 09:09 am
Rob a garbageman? Talk about

Rob a garbageman? Talk about bad form! That is a new low!

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/11/13 - 09:51 am
SIB4 -

Have other plans in the future that call for a Western NC or SC Up Country move. About 10 miles from a town, and closer to the bears.

I am looking at 10.5 ac. now that borders 250,000+ac USFS Wilderness property. with a stream, mountains and nearest neighbor 1 mile down the road.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/13 - 10:08 am
nocnoc

I understand why you would want that move....my kin in the north Ga mountains would like for us to move near them.....we haven't ruled it out yet.....& I want to be honest about Augusta...
At one time I thought... Gee why are some saying disgusta when talking about Augusta....but as time goes on I see why...you can't sugar coat the damage the crime is doing to that area...even the folks that are moving to Columbia county will one day see the same nonesense crimes ....it will inch it's way to the surrounding areas.....I hate it & wish we had some easy solutions.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/11/13 - 10:24 am
My simple plan

is to be dead 20 years from now and before what we call civilization starts overbuilding next door to me again.

WNC and Up Country offer that without 12 ft of snow.

KSL
KSL 05/11/13 - 10:45 am
Concealed Carry

Make it across the state lines permissible for the good guys. The bad guys are already doing it.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/11/13 - 11:22 am
Seenit is right about the fall of Columbia County but she nor I

probably will be around when it is as crime ridden as some areas of Richmond County! And I don't care what any of you say I grew up and lived in "South Augusta" and both residences in the day were great places to live. By the way, both were off of Richmond Hill Rd.

ragingbull
ragingbull 05/11/13 - 11:48 am
These criminals are like

These criminals are like cockroaches. There is no way we can get away from them. If we move sooner or later they will find us. The only way to rid ourselves of them is lethal extermination.

Darby
Darby 05/11/13 - 12:09 pm
"Most thugs can't hit a moving target."

Yeah, that's the trick! Play dodge ball with a thug holding a firearm.

Maybe you should have advised the poor guy to "trash talk" the gunman.

"Hey! Yo momma wears army boots!"

That might work as well..

Short of getting the drop on the scumbag (who was already presenting) and blowing a big hole in him, the poor guy did what he needed to do. Stay alive and keep paying the bills for his family.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 05/11/13 - 12:22 pm
Robbery

South Augusta - Timbuktu - WHO CARES!!! The fact is that another honest and hard working human being was held up - in the early morning hours because scum like that guy does not sleep. Hand out maze - by the tons - to every human being in the CSRA and walk around with it in your hand!! Garbage men can have it hanging around their necks - they work with BOTH hands - and HARD at that!
Too many people in today's rant are concerned in what part of the CSRA a crime has occured.
And please, to those that are tempted, don't call a criminal an animal. Horrendous insult to the animal world!

countyman
19155
countyman 05/11/13 - 01:56 pm
Augusta-4th best city to live in

It's okay to call Augusta 'Disgusta' simply because we have crime like every other city in the US.

The people who use that word don't like Augusta, and that's it. The city of Augusta can be that bad if were the '4th best city to live in'..

The crime rate of Augusta is lower than the majority of peer cities. I'm positive the people using the word don't live anywhere more upscale than Summerville, West Augusta, or Forest Hills.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/11/13 - 02:58 pm
The propaganda machine

The propaganda machine continues to churn... makes me wonder if countyman/nortonguy is paid by the word or by the embellishment.

KSL
KSL 05/11/13 - 05:13 pm
I guess the fact that the

I guess the fact that the last 2 incidents, with the short time between them should not count as 2 since they were perpetrated by the same people, and one has has been arrested.

Of course, the level of violence certainly escalated rapidly.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/13 - 05:31 pm
When ctyman says this..

I think I figured out how that happened...the folks in countyman's office kept calling the # to vote on the best city..over-over & over...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/11/13 - 05:30 pm
Put your $$ where your mouth is ctyman

Ride on that trash truck with the man & see what he sees everyday.....& sit on that bench at Riverwalk in the wee morning hours,....you are already up posting on here during that time ...sooo it shouldn't be a problem...hey...take the puter with you to keep you company.....take a few pics while you are there.....now THAT will make some take you seriously....even seenitB4..

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/11/13 - 09:49 pm
Don't know about the rest of y'all

I take iced bottled water out to the trash truck man once it starts getting warm.

The other day the guy's thanked the wife and I, and disposed of 2 extra bodies without questions☺.

Serious, it is a stinking job, getting ready to be twice as smelly with once a week pickup to start June 3rd.

BTW: There is ZERO hope of going back to the old way.
The contract is iron tight.
The contract runs for 10 years and a involves $$$millions$$$ to the "right" people.

But do expect to see a few Private hauler lawsuits soon and the Gold Dome to toss a major problem into the mix and a "possible" out. But only if the Downtown crowd wants it.

Remember only 6 out of the 10 commissioners voted for what we got stuck with ARC WIDE.

Man reports McCormick attack

A South Carolina man told police three men attempted to sexually assault him and then shot at him while he was bicycling in McCormick County late Saturday.