Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Couple attacked on Riverwalk Augusta

A couple were attacked on Riverwalk Augusta on Friday night.

About 11 p.m., the Edge­field, S.C., couple were sitting on a bench when two black men armed with a baseball bat or pipe approached and demanded money, a police report states. The men began hitting the two with the object in the face and head.

The male victim is in critical but stable condition at University Hospital.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/04/13 - 06:14 pm
marandan
marandan 05/04/13 - 06:40 pm
Riverwalk Safety

This is perfect example of why All concealed permit carriers should carry their weapons, and protect themselves. When cops are just minutes away, seconds matter. This story would have had a much better ending with," perps were being treated at hospital under police security!"

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/04/13 - 06:41 pm
Reported to public 17 hours after the fact...

This press release went out at 4:03 PM...17 hours after the attack. UNLESS the officers had a bead on who did this...that amount of time for a statement released to the public is 100% indefensible. How do you let that kinda time go by in such a hideous attack in such a high profile area, on a First Friday, no less, without a peep from the RCSO?

Unacceptable.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/04/13 - 06:56 pm
Hit by a baseball bat

Hit by a baseball bat and in critical condition. My goodness what a horrific crime.

specsta
specsta 05/04/13 - 06:55 pm
Priorities

This is a perfect example of police priorities - do you send out two dozen cops at night on a task force to write traffic tickets, or do you have some officers on the street actually doing community policing? Which is more beneficial to the public? Busting someone for a bad tail-light or busting someone about to commit a violent assault?

treefrog
treefrog 05/04/13 - 07:08 pm
Definitely Unacceptable

The amount of time it took for this information to get out is definitely unacceptable. Do you realize how many people could be on the look out for this vehicle since we have a tag number?! Not to mention the people that would want to take precautions will in this area. This is a matter of saftey and no one had enough sense to let us know????

ymnbde
ymnbde 05/04/13 - 07:24 pm
young black males are less than 3% of the population

and commit over 50% of violent crimes
reality...

Pops
Pops 05/04/13 - 07:43 pm
Why oh why

did these feral creatures have to beat these two ...... just take the money and run........

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/04/13 - 07:47 pm
Yep, Rolling Thunder, Click

Yep, Rolling Thunder, Click it or Ticket, HEAT........meanwhile the punk thugs are doing Operation Baseball Bat on innocent people trying to enjoy countyman's "safe" Riverwalk in the CBD on First Friday. The cops were probably parked somewhere up on Washington Rd, Calhoun, Riverwatch, or Gordon Hwy waiting for someone who had a couple of beers at First Friday.

Augusta/RC where the cops are out to take your money if you are driving, the thugs are out to take your money if you are walking, the welfare types are out to take your money if you are working, and the politicians are out to take your money if you are breathing. It's a cooperative effort. If this were a biology lesson the taxpaying regular citizens would be referred to as hosts.

Farmboy
Farmboy 05/04/13 - 08:00 pm
Karma

It's always watching. You can't escape.

freeradical
freeradical 05/04/13 - 08:22 pm
A baseball bat is not

A baseball bat is not something you can just stick in your hip pocket .

The fact that they feel completely comfortable swaggering about

, bat in hand , on what should be the most well policed night

of the month with no threat of being questioned as to " what

team they belong to " ? etc ? , etc ? , etc ? should tell you everything

you need to know about downtown Augusta .

whyme
whyme 05/04/13 - 08:23 pm
devastated

This article is brief and leaves out a great deal. It leaves out how horrific this crime was not only to the young man but to the young lady as well who also sustained some serious injuries. It leaves out that other people were around and hopefully this kept the situation from becoming fatal. It leaves out that the young man, despite his condition, made efforts to get them both to the hospital himself. It leaves out that once again, on a First Friday, even at a later hour, a crime was perpetrated on some decent people who just wanted to enjoy our city that night like everybody else. It leaves out the anger and sadness that these kind, family/friends/church/those in need - loving people had to endure such brutality. It also leaves out that many people are praying for their healing, both physical as well as spiritual.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/04/13 - 08:44 pm
Open carry.

And in hand when approached. Shoot when threatened.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/04/13 - 09:03 pm
Riverwalk has violent crime?

Sorry to hear of this happen and I wish the couple well.
But still some common sense regarding personal safety could have avoid this. I have to ask 11PM Friday Night in the dark in Riverwalk area?

-----------------------------
I can already hear those already
on a Big Brother Surveillance quest:
---------------------------------

CAMERAS, CAMERAS, we need cameras and the Staff to watch every inch of DOWNTOWN AUGUSTA.

Fred Russell, I HAVE A TAX FOR THAT
We won't violate your privacy,
If you are not doing any thing wrong why should they upset you?
Your in public you have no rights to privacy.

To these people I say:
Tweet the public, everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING you do from the time you leave your house until you return home. EVERYTHING as you do it.

If you are not doing anything wrong what are you worried about.

Restroom break times, kisses and with who, pants, underwear and/or bra adjustments, zip-up, belt tightening, shirt or blouse tucks, nose picking or nose blowing. Because each of these things people commonly do in public every day after looking around to avoid offending someone. But now it is recorded for history and a FOIA, GA Open Records or some media hound to publish or accidentally come across to further an agenda.

KSL
120677
KSL 05/04/13 - 08:58 pm
Open carry is the only

Open carry is the only solution as long as we have unsocialized thugs roaming the streets. I would rather have concealed carry with training required, and reciprocal between states.

KSL
120677
KSL 05/04/13 - 09:12 pm
20 years ago we were not

20 years ago we were not afraid to be on Riverwalk at night. Lots of people around. Too bad what has happened to a once thriving area.

TCB22
TCB22 05/04/13 - 09:42 pm
That does it for me

That does it for me. You won't find me in Augusta for anything other than important meetings during business hours. Not ever again.

countyman
19038
countyman 05/04/13 - 09:56 pm
Overall safe

There were thousands of people downtown, and you can't prevent every single incident. I don't know why the same few people love to bring up my name. This crime is horrible, but it doesn't change the fact.

The CBD is overall safe, and that's why the real estate prices are some of the highest in the area. People like me choose to live downtown, because of the safety.

Anytime something happens downtown, Augusta mall, etc it's always the end of the world on here.

just an opinion
just an opinion 05/04/13 - 10:01 pm
Closer down

That's the end of Riverwalk. Just like Regency Mall, she's a goner.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/04/13 - 10:43 pm
No it's the reality of what happens...

if it's ignored...Gordon Highway...Regency Mall....any questions?

countyman
19038
countyman 05/04/13 - 11:11 pm
Your reality, but not the people who live in the area

I don't think anybody said crime doesn't happen, but it's not this scary place downtown. When the Chronicle decides to report any crime outside of Richmond County(barely reported as is). I don't see the same few respond when others proclaim they live in a safe area. The same few people bash Augusta no matter the subject.. The Holiday Inn Express, Sprint Food & Metro Market, restaurant next to the new Farmhaus Burgers, etc under construction are the 'reality'. You can't spin the amount of new private construction, because developers follow the money(money lives in overall safe areas). Rural Sourcing opened a while back, and IT jobs are definitely not locating in every city the size of Augusta's downtown.

There's a 200 acre neighborhood(Haynes Station), 62 acre neigborhood(Mccoys Creek), multimillion Hampton Inn hotel, and new homes in Willhaven undereway. I'm not positive if the 13 acre shopping center/Circle K have started yet on Gordon Hwy. The Gordon Hwy area is more than the surrounding area of Regency Mall or going towards East Augusta/401.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 05/04/13 - 11:33 pm
Agree with Austin..

...it's unconscionable that this was not reported for 17 hours after the fact...Explanation Sheriff Roundtree?.
I submit that if the RCSO wasn't tied up with asinine revenue gathering roadblock tactics they may have had an opportunity to prevent this situation.....

KSL
120677
KSL 05/04/13 - 11:32 pm
So this is an isolated, one time event.

And there are/were only 2 extremist Muslims who want to kill, dismember, and disrupt people residing in America.

countyman
19038
countyman 05/05/13 - 12:05 am
Easy choice!

Who to believe?

The people who live outside of Richmond County(Aiken for example), and love to bring up how they don't visit much often specifically downtown.

The people who live downtown, and the private developers improving the area.

KSL
120677
KSL 05/05/13 - 01:56 am
After what happened, can you,

After what happened, can you, cm, explain how I am supposed to feel safe on Riverwalk? I can't carry. Do I need to have a loaded baseball bat, one that could not be legally used in a game?

KSL
120677
KSL 05/05/13 - 01:59 am
I think I will believe the

I think I will believe the couple from Edgefie and their experience when they are able to talk.

KSL
120677
KSL 05/05/13 - 02:12 am
Countyman

Yes, I reside in Aiken. But I don't spend hours trying to claim Aiken County is better than Richmond.

I do notice that you spend a lot of time pumping up Richmond Co. And that is fine. Except you will take the time to compare Richmond statistics to Cola Co and Aiken Co when statistics favor Richmond. But you are equally quick to claim Bridgestone and others when it suits your purposes.

That is the number one reason I give you zero cred.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/05/13 - 05:50 am
Riverwalk Safety

I remember when people could stroll along Riverwalk after dark safely, and I remember when couples could leave the bars and events downtown and stroll to the Riverwalk where many proposals were made. I also remember that there was a police presence down there. They didn't harass anyone, but they did keep an eye on things. You can bet, should I ever go to Riverwalk or Downtown Augusta after dark, I'll carry a firearm. It would also be a safe bet to say that you won't find me there unless it's business related.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/05/13 - 07:24 am
One More Time

Tell me how I will be safer when my right to carry is gone.

maandpa
maandpa 05/05/13 - 08:07 am
Not Safe

The last time I went to Riverwalk to listen to a speaker at the amphitheater, we were followed and watched by a man who seemed to have no purpose. An elderly woman who also was there asked if she could walk with us because she was scared. I haven't been back since.