Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman reports washer-dryer scam

Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:41 AM
Last updated 8:43 PM

A woman told police she thought she was getting a deal on a new washer and dryer when a man she met at a laundromat convinced her to hand over $350.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

The 48-year-old Augusta woman told police she met “John” for the first time at Lucy’s Laundry, 122 Sherwood Drive, on Tuesday. Police said the man convinced her he was a Best Buy employee who could give her a discount on a washer and dryer.

The following day, the woman met John at Best Buy and gave him $350. Surveillance video shows him leaving the store with the money. The store told the woman the man was not an employee.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/02/13 - 11:50 am
Dang! Sounds like she CLEANED

Dang! Sounds like she CLEANED out of all that money, and then hung out to DRY!! Yet another case of someone getting scammed because they were trying to get something for nothing....or at least for a deal too good to be true!!

my.voice
my.voice 05/02/13 - 11:50 am
He's waiting on you down at

He's waiting on you down at Goodwill.

belle
belle 05/02/13 - 01:23 pm
No Good will for Goodwill?

What does Goodwill have to do with anything?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/02/13 - 02:19 pm
As said a hundred times

As said a hundred times before.

A Flim-Flam can't work on honest people.

yeah a special 5 finger discount deal at Best Buy about $800 off list.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/02/13 - 02:27 pm
DIXIEMAN WILL SELL YOU HIS POINTS AT A DISCOUNT

Rule 1: If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
Was John wearing a bright blue polo shirt? This is a reasonably clever scam, a cut above the usual "Gimme all your money" convenience store holdup that occurs in the CSRA.

David Parker
David Parker 05/02/13 - 03:07 pm
This one's for JMO

wakka wakka. I couldn't think of anything to top yours. Good Show.

Stealing people's money is bad.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/02/13 - 03:37 pm
She gave him her hard earned

She gave him her hard earned money. This is not good.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 05/02/13 - 06:11 pm
I'm certain

this lady got a reciept for her $350.00.

happychimer
happychimer 05/02/13 - 09:02 pm
nocnoc I disagree with you. A

nocnoc I disagree with you. A Flim-Flam can work on honest people.

Darby
Darby 05/02/13 - 09:10 pm
There's one born

every minute.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/02/13 - 09:26 pm
I thought it was going to say

I thought it was going to say he "sold" her one in the laundromat for a second.

Darby
Darby 05/03/13 - 12:29 am
I really think that if I were dumb enough

to fall for a scheme like that, I'd still be smart enough to keep it to myself.

Almost as bad as that twit who called 911 to report that her dealer sold her phony cocaine.

ragingbull
ragingbull 05/03/13 - 08:32 am
Desperate people do desperate

Desperate people do desperate things. I am sure if she had $350 dollars and needed a washer and dryer, that there must be some appliance company in the CSRA that would have worked with her, even if she could have gotten a used one. The perp was awful brave telling her to meet him at Best Buy.

ragingbull
ragingbull 05/03/13 - 08:35 am
Kind of like someone who

Kind of like someone who wired money in an email scam and then called police to report it. It is better to remain quiet and dumb than to expose oneself and remove all doubt.

Dudeness
Dudeness 05/03/13 - 08:59 am
This reminds me of the

This reminds me of the stories where someone who was trying to buy crack calls the police because they feel like the drug dealer ripped them off.

tanbaby
tanbaby 05/03/13 - 06:10 pm
as the saying goes, "you get

as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for"...she paid for nothing and got nothing...oh well....