Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Richmond County sheriff's deputy placed on leave after DUI arrest

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:42 PM
Last updated 11:57 PM

A Richmond County sheriff’s deputy has been placed on administrative leave after she was charged last month with driving under the influence.

Tiffany Lewis  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Tiffany Lewis

Deputy Tiffany Lewis was placed on leave with pay pending the completion of an investigation, according to Sgt. Shane McDaniel, a spokesman for the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.

Lewis was arrested the morning of April 25 in Aiken County by South Carolina Highway Patrol and booked into the Aiken County Detention Center, according to jail records. McDaniel said Lewis, who has been with the sheriff’s office about two years, met with a sergeant in the office’s internal affairs department after 5 p.m. on the day of her arrest.

McDaniel said no other information was available Thursday night.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 05/02/13 - 07:56 pm
She knew better! Shame on

She knew better! Shame on her.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 05/02/13 - 09:22 pm
Per Austin

She, her mother, and her brother were recipients of the Extreme Makeover House a couple of years ago.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/02/13 - 09:43 pm
Deputy

And what has that got to do with the DUI charge?!

jmo
jmo 05/02/13 - 10:55 pm
Good luck....

in your new profession.

fedex227
fedex227 05/02/13 - 11:16 pm
"And what has that got to do with the DUI charge?!"

Truth Matters, you really didn't have to ask, did you? She's just another ungrateful ... person.

my.voice
my.voice 05/03/13 - 07:19 am
I do not see what this has to

I do not see what this has to do with her being on EHM at all. Do we know her favorite color? Maybe that has something to do with it.

As far as Austin Rhodes is concerned, we all know where he stands with the current ARC Sheriff's Department. Austin gets paid to "stir the pudding", he creates no beneficial product or service to our City. While I do occasionally enjoy the show, Austin uses his "position" many times as a weapon. And no, nobody cares what I think about it, you just have to take him with a grain of salt.

DUI is a serious problem in this society and Police Officers have to be held to a higher standard. When you choose to drink and drive, or drug and drive, you put a whole lot of people's lives and possessions at risk. Police Officers, be put on notice, you drink - you drive - you face the music.

BamaFanNGa
BamaFanNGa 05/03/13 - 07:21 am
fedex227

Let me remind you of an old saying; "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". She made a huge error in judgement, surely. But, that in no way means she is ungrateful for the gift she and her family received.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 08:34 am
Sure she has to be punished

Sure she has to be punished and that means being fired too, but it is a shame. I'm sorry for her. Just a stupid mistake.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/03/13 - 10:05 am
I feel bad for her. She is a

I feel bad for her. She is a human being with feelings. She screwed up big time and she will lose her job. You just can't throw people in jail for drinking and driving when you do the same thing yourself. I'm hoping that she will bounce back from this and be OK. She is a black woman with 2 years of service. A white male cop with >20 years of service would have gotten a ride home and a warning.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 05/03/13 - 11:49 am
The point

I was making...there have been numerous arrests, bankruptcies, and foreclosures from occupants mortgaging their EHM houses. So I just wonder if that huge amount of money would be better spent spread among many home owners as opposed to one. This is no reflection on the mother who was actually the recipient of the house. I have no idea whether this young lady is a first time offender or not and I am not judging her. So settle down.....

happychimer
19396
happychimer 05/03/13 - 12:26 pm
Drinking and driving is NOT a

Drinking and driving is NOT a mistake. Drinking and driving is a choice.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 05/03/13 - 02:45 pm
Dang

I agree with GAD - somewhat :) That's a first!

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 02:53 pm
There have been RCSO officers

There have been RCSO officers with many years of service fired after getting DUI's. Realize she was caught in another jurisdiction by a state trooper in SC. Officers usually take care of each other in the same jurisdiction, but not always if the incident is blatant and the officer a complete idiot.

David Parker
David Parker 05/03/13 - 03:00 pm
Riddle me this.....

What if I am a dog catcher and my gate breaks from negligence and my pet runs free until caught by another dog catcher? Do I deserve termination?

What if the cop had just been speeding in excess?

Drunk driving is dangerous, but then again, speeding can be just as hazardous and cause injury and death and it is done just as purposefully as DUI. Just curious how the jury here would classify these two, same or different?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 03:17 pm
David, the dilemma I have is

David, the dilemma I have is someone with 0.79 of alcohol consumption on a Breathalyzer being told to have a nice night, but one with 0.8 is handcuffed and taken to jail.

David Parker
David Parker 05/03/13 - 03:22 pm
Very good discussion there.

Very good discussion there. Most will sum it all up by saying you have to draw the line somewhere and go further by saying .79 should go to jail to. Idk where the common ground is but I agree that a .01 difference, without taking into account any of the millions of variables involved, is somewhat irresponsible (or lazy) on the law-makers part.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/03/13 - 03:24 pm
I call BS on the 1105

I call BS on the 1105 Post.... Ever hear of Michael Dodaro? or Greg Smith? Your post is simply inflamatory and racist.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 03:40 pm
Scott Peebles father comes to

Scott Peebles' father comes to mind of a RCSO officer who was fired after getting a DUI.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/03/13 - 06:36 pm
DUI

I think all should obey the law of not driving under the influence, but to surmise that one is ungrateful based on this action and because the family was the recipient of EHM says more, or as much, about the one who thinks that way as it does about this officer.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/03/13 - 06:39 pm
Lilly, it's ok for us to

Lilly, it's ok for us to agree. No shame in that.

Darby
Darby 05/03/13 - 09:08 pm
"And what has that got to do with

the DUI charge?!"

Maybe nothing... Or maybe that they could have found someone more deserving of their largess.