Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Georgia Supreme Court affirms woman's murder conviction

Monday, April 29, 2013 2:41 PM
Last updated 8:05 PM

An Augusta woman’s murder conviction for the fatal overdose of her 3-year-old son has been affirmed by the Georgia Supreme Court.

In an opinion released Monday, the court found that Alana Johnson was fairly tried and convicted in Richmond County Superior Court.

Johnson was found guilty of murder by negligence in the Oct. 10, 2010, death of her son, Shane. The medical examiner said he believed that by the time an ambulance had taken the toddler to the hospital, he had been dead for four to six hours, the court opinion stated. The child had ingested methadone.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 01:59 pm
Appeals

Why do they waste your and my money by appealing these things?

hishpv
hishpv 04/29/13 - 03:01 pm
Appeals

Little Lamb -- if her lawyers did NOT appeal, they'd get disbarred for malpractice. They absolutely have to appeal.

my.voice
my.voice 04/29/13 - 03:12 pm
Any appeal in this case

Any appeal in this case should be limited to a banana.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/29/13 - 04:35 pm
My appeal

process would involve; Can we rehabilitate her? No? OK, let her spend her time with women who really want children and can't have them. Then shoot her.

Darby
Darby 04/30/13 - 10:30 am
"if her lawyers did NOT appeal,

they'd get disbarred for malpractice. They absolutely have to appeal."

Maybe so. I'm not a lawyer, but think I'd strongly suggest to my "client" that she forgo the appeals process. Particularly where her stupidity and drug addled lifestyle took the life an innocent child.

Then I'd have her sign a statement that it was done of her own free will.

On the other hand, I've know a few public defenders. The appeal means more money in the lawyer's pocket.

Given that public defenders get the lawyers equivalent of "minimum wage" I can understand the motivation.