Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Lakeside student charged with bringing knife to school

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:00 PM
Last updated 9:29 PM

A Lakeside High School student was arrested Thursday, charged with bringing a knife onto school grounds.

George Hugh Sykes, 17, of Martinez  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
George Hugh Sykes, 17, of Martinez

An assistant principal told authorities another student told him George Hugh Sykes, 17, possibly had drugs in his car. The assistant principal and school safety officer searched Sykes’ vehicle and found a cigarette grinder, cigarette papers and an unknown substance, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

During the search, they also found an 8-inch hunting knife in the driver’s door pocket, according to the report.

Sykes, of Riverbend Drive in Martinez, was charged with possession of a weapon on school property. He was released from the Columbia County Detention Center in the early morning Friday after posting a $7,600 bond, according to jailers.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/26/13 - 06:57 pm
WOW. A frickin' felony for

WOW. A frickin' felony for having a knife in your car. SMH. True story-4th grade-I brought my Cub Scout pocket knife to class and presented it for show and tell, along with some wood I whittled. I retuned to my desk and then walked home at the end of the day without incident. Hopefully, the statute of limitations have run on that.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/26/13 - 09:00 pm
One Of My Classmates In High School

was very good at making Bowie Knifes in his shop class. Make about 2 to 3 a week. He got good buck for them. Heck, the teachers were even buying them.

There has been a big change in my 73 years. So many changes without an ounce of Common Sense. Thank the minds of our mutant Liberals.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/26/13 - 09:20 pm
Cobalt George

I went to HS in the mid 70's. we had a kid in metal shop make a set of brass knuckles. I think the teacher gave him a B+.

Snicker doodle
Snicker doodle 04/26/13 - 10:26 pm
When I was in High School

When I was in High School there were no high school, college or elementary school massacres. We live in a different world gentlemen. And as a person who has children in college, High School, and Middle School - when the school tells them "no guns and no knives and no explosives in or around school" I'm fine with that. And I vote Republican!

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/13 - 06:21 am
So all a student has to do is

So all a student has to do is say he thinks another student "possibly" has drugs in his car and it gets searched? Apparently,the student was wrong since no drugs were found, but items in the car such as the cigarette papers were and that was disclosed to the media. They find a hunting knife in the car and the kid is a felon?

I wonder how many cars in that parking lot wouldn't have a pen knife, aspirin or something else in them that the over reactive school system deems illegal? I believe I'd get a feeling something illegal was in the original student's car and report it. Let them see what they can find in his car.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/13 - 06:22 am
They use to make moonshine in

They use to make moonshine in the Harlem chemistry lab.

vibe1
vibe1 04/27/13 - 08:15 am
At Evans, many a male student

At Evans, many a male student had a shotgun mounted in the cab of their pickup. That was in the 70's. Wow, how times have changed. Not for the better. So sad.

avidreader
avidreader 04/27/13 - 08:48 am
Stupid Article!

Why even print this in the newspaper? So stupid!

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 04/27/13 - 09:19 am
Student support

Now if this happened in Richmond County......

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/27/13 - 09:39 am
Our Schools Are Secure

Thanks to the Liberal Administrators for kicking the student out of school for wearing a NRA shirt. This prevented another Sandy Hook massacre!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/27/13 - 10:20 am
Colbalt: back in the 70's

Colbalt: back in the 70's the were these Jose Cuervo tee shirts. The worm on the shirt was the coolest looking little dude. We all just had to have one and I wore it to school many times.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/13 - 10:30 am
In the good ole days

Good ole boy just told me they took shotguns & moonshine in jars in their trucks.....didn't kill anyone ever he said....they would hit the woods & creeks after school....running & ripping & getting that exercise.....too bad we can't see the damage we are doing to our young ones....sad.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/27/13 - 10:56 am
SeenitB4

Maybe because this is the only life kids today know, they don't know that they are being deprived of anything.

countyman
20729
countyman 04/27/13 - 11:27 am
Yeah right!

Cigarette grinder and paper? More like an weed grinder and the papers to roll the substance in.

gargoyle
gargoyle 04/27/13 - 12:28 pm
perspective

we have become very efficient in creating felons.The criminal juridical system needs fresh meat to grow and make you feel safe.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/27/13 - 04:35 pm
Just more zero tolerance

Just more zero tolerance idiocy.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/27/13 - 05:09 pm
Not trying to top anyone

... but the boarding school I attended had three firearms for the purpose of being given to the boys of hunting age to bring in game during the season.

Two things: Though I was very successful, I never saw any venison, quail, turkey or rabbit on my plate.

The guns were kept unloaded on pegs in the closet in the music room with the ammunition on a shelf above. Unlocked.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/27/13 - 07:36 pm
In all my years, K-12, I knew

In all my years, K-12, I knew maybe 4 kids who were suspended. You had to really, really try if you wanted to get suspended. In those days the alternative school was called "continuation school". It was sort of like the land of Oz. We all heard of it, but nobody knew where it was and I never knew anyone personally who was sent there. Today, the knuckle headed administrators hand out suspensions like candy on Halloween.

Thomson game adds security

THOMSON, Ga. -- McDuffie County officials will add extra security precautions tonight after fight rumors circulated related to the last Thomson High home football game of the season.