Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Debit card fraud reported to police

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:22 PM
Last updated 6:57 PM

Police are looking into a case of financial transaction card fraud after a man used a debit card several times without permission.

Back | Next
Police say this surveillance video shows a man using a stolen debit card at CitiTrends.  SPECIAL
SPECIAL

The debit card was reported lost April 8. The victim later discovered the card had been used at Chevron, 202 East Boundary; Shoe Department; CitiTrends, 1631 Gordon Highway; Circle K, 902 Walton Way; Kroger, 501 15th St.; and McDonald’s, 1464 Walton Way. Surveillance videos show a man using the card at CitiTrends.

Anyone with information on the crime is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 821-1020.

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/23/13 - 01:43 pm
Why?

Why can't it be made a RULE for cashiers to always ask for ID when a debit or credit card is presented? They sure do for checks! Afraid of making a customer mad? Tough. That's THEIR problem. It's only looking out for the consumer if ID is requested. If it can't be provided, then call security, then the police. Simple. Oh, I forgot. It's "unconstitutional" to request ID on someone.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/23/13 - 02:01 pm
Show me some skin

How about sharing the security camera picture?

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/23/13 - 02:53 pm
Did not know

that Citi-Trends had a drive-thru window .

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 04/23/13 - 03:31 pm
i guess "he-bid" not git he

i guess "he-bid" not git he "obammy" money fo sho so he hat to steel otha moneh so he can git he outfit fo da club dis weekend

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/23/13 - 03:42 pm
Now this is a good picture

But don't think the caption is right.
It looks like he is using a cell phone.

mllange
mllange 04/23/13 - 04:00 pm
I wrote on my debit card "ASK

I wrote on my debit card "ASK FOR ID." So far, only one place has ever asked me for my ID.

jmo
jmo 04/23/13 - 06:40 pm
If he is caught he can use

Azziz's defense: I'll reimburse you for the loss and all is forgiven. What's good for one, is good for all.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/24/13 - 09:04 am
My debit card requires me to

My debit card requires me to put in a pin. Do some not do that?

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 04/24/13 - 09:09 am
PIN

It will only ask for a PIN number if you request it be processed as "debit". If you select "credit" - it's done based on signature.

Heck, with cloned cards these days, the PIN option isn't a failsafe anymore...

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 04/24/13 - 09:21 am
@BamaMan

I agree that ID's should be requested at EVERY transaction - but as far as immediately calling security / police if one can't be presented is a bit hasty - after all, there have been times I've misplaced by DL and couldn't immediately find it... sad too, I had to put that case of beer back...

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/24/13 - 12:13 pm
Don't lose it

Gas pumps and self check out can't ask for ID. Visa prefers you run you debit card as a credit so they can charge all of their fees, they make millions and millions from swipe fees. That's why they offer all of those incentives. All you can do is not lose your card.

allhans
allhans 04/24/13 - 12:50 pm
I use a Visa debit card for

I use a Visa debit card for most purchases. At locations that would use it as a credit I change over and use my regular Visa credit. No problems, no fees.

And I agree with those who would like ID required for every purchase. For MY protection!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/24/13 - 03:45 pm
You don't pay

The store pays the swipe fees not you. The merchant pays a fee every time a card is swiped. If you buy a 89 cent taco and use a credit card, taco bell loses their rear end. If you switch to regular credit card you pay the interest.