Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Thieves use lost credit cards

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:22 PM
Last updated 6:19 PM

A Masters guest told police her credit cards were used fraudulently after losing her wallet at the Augusta National Golf Club on Monday.

According to an incident report, the 59-year-old victim told police her Texas drivers license, several credit cards and $900 were in her wallet when she lost it.

The following day she was contacted by two credit card companies inquiring about “high-dollar” purchases made at Target in Augusta.

The victim wishes to prosecute.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/10/13 - 12:31 pm
I hope they catch the thief

I hope they catch the thief and throw the book at him! He obviously was greedy and knew what he was doing because the $900 in cash wasn't enough so the scum had to utilize the credit cards! I hate it anytime this happens to someone, but especially when it happens to one of our out of town guests.

David Parker
David Parker 04/10/13 - 01:07 pm
Disappointing yall. just

Disappointing yall. just disappointing

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 04/10/13 - 01:32 pm
Just my opinion

This is just my opinion. I think that the store should also be held accountable. Cashiers are suppose to verify the identity of individuals using debit or credit cards. I do not get upset when a clerk asks for a picture ID because I know they are doing their jobs. What upsets me the most, is when they don't ask and you have a situation like this one.

triscuit
triscuit 04/10/13 - 02:24 pm
If she had lost it on Club

If she had lost it on Club grounds Thurs-Sun, a good chance it would have been turned in. Practice rounds days...you never know who's there.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/10/13 - 05:52 pm
@Just My Opinion

You described the criminal as "he." We all know that men don't do this sort of thing! Just kiddin,' hope the law enforcement folks arrest whoever was responsible!!! If it had been a diamond ring they would have kept it a few days and then turned it in. LOL!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/10/13 - 07:23 pm
triscuit, I think you are

triscuit, I think you are absolutely right about that.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/10/13 - 08:30 pm
triscuit and Just My Opinion

triscuit and Just My Opinion, if you think all wealthy, well-heeled, people in the so-called better circles, take the moral high ground, you are quite naive or are attempting to pull the wool over eyes that know better. That was a very snobbish and biased thing to say. "You never know who's there"? Give me a break. There are professional and petty criminals, including thieves, in every venue and some are regular guests at the cushiest venues. They go where the money is. On the other hand, I know someone that lost a wallet on the south side of town in a grocery store that has one of the highest shrinkage rates in Georgia. The wallet was turned in to customer service and recovered by the owner. So much for "You never know who's there". Well, thankfully, there was at least one honest person there. That's all it takes to turn it in. I hope the missing items are recovered. I do understand that the credit card has been used and I do hope the person has the book thrown at him or her. I've had identity theft and it happened in on the Hill section of Augusta in a business place that is supposed to be frequented only by people of high moral character. That didn't stop someone from stealing my purse and everything in it and devastate my life.

KSL
KSL 04/11/13 - 05:46 am
What does that say about at

What does that say about at least one of today's Masters guests? The article did say she lost it at the course.

Even occasionally lost wallets get turned in at Wal-Mart.

Bobby, close friend of my family, would be upset.

KSL
KSL 04/11/13 - 05:55 am
And just because they got in

And just because they got in through the gates with a badge that gets passed around at their company, doesn't mean they are honest.

triscuit
triscuit 04/11/13 - 10:17 am
Hey, I agree there are

Hey, I agree there are dishonest folks everywhere. There are also honest folks in areas of town you would not expect. I've lost my wallet/phone twice in the downtown area and both times it was turned in. I was simply saying that you never know WHO gets in at Practice Rounds, MUCH MORESO than on tourney days. That is a fact, no matter what PC spin you want to put on it. There are most certainly more thieves that attend the practice rounds simply because the tickets are easier to get AND the fact that when people leave for the day they often times give the tix away. Certainly something you do NOT see on Tourney days. Call me a snob, AutumnLeaves, if you wish. I'm betting the majority agree with me. And I really don't care...just stating my opinion, which is what I thought the purpose of these boards was for.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/11/13 - 03:05 pm
I didn't call you...

I didn't call you a snob, triscuit, I said it was a snobbish thing to say. Also, I don't care how many people agree with you or not, there is no way for you to know who is honest and who is dishonest among any group of people gathered for any reason. You can not tell a book by its cover. I also don't have any objection to you expressing your opinion, but I am disappointed by it in this case. I would not let my guard down on tourney days any more or less than the practice rounds. And that is not being PC, that is commonsense.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.