Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Evans man charged with DUI in traffic death

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:22 PM
Last updated 9:53 PM

An Evans man was arrested Thursday after test results showed he was intoxicated while driving at the time of a March 2 wreck that killed his passenger.

San Miguel  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
San Miguel

Chris­topher Jo­seph San Mi­guel, 27, surrendered Thursday and was charged with vehicular homicide, driving under the influence, driving too fast for conditions and failure to maintain lane, according to Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

Alaina Kensinger, 28, of Martinez, died as a result of injuries she suffered in the wreck on Interstate 20 near the weigh station.

Test results received Wednes­day from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation showed that San Miguel’s blood alcohol concentration at the time of the crash was 0.165, more than double the legal limit, Morris said.

San Miguel was driving east on I-20 about 4:30 a.m. when he is believed to have fallen asleep. The vehicle drifted off the right side of the road, turned sideways and hit a guardrail before hitting a metal sign pole. Witnesses told deputies that San Miguels’ vehicle was traveling at high speed. He and Ken­singer were wearing seat belts.

Kensinger died a few hours later at Georgia Regents Medical Center.

San Miguel was released from the Columbia County Detention Center after posting a $13,400 bond, according to jail records.

my.voice
my.voice 03/28/13 - 12:51 pm
Hope you get life without

Hope you get life without parole.

apmain
apmain 03/28/13 - 11:46 pm
I know Chris regrets his friend's death more than anything.

I knew of Alaina, who was in my graduating class at EHS, and Chris is a dear family friend. I so wish this hadn't been alcohol related. I know he would do anything to take back what happened that night (even before his arrest).

soitgoes
soitgoes 03/28/13 - 01:51 pm
So sad

I hope some young people will learn from this tragedy.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/28/13 - 01:56 pm
The glorification of alcohol.

Drug use. Mind altering drug use. Fun inducing drug. Society has done a cost benefit analysis and decided casualties will occur. From the White House to the Church Pulpit.

It is the taking of innocent life. But "justify your own sin".

The young lady is dead. Not accidentally dead. Not dead for ten years and then probation. Not weeping in remorse. Not speaking to others about the consequences of drunkenness. Dead.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/28/13 - 04:36 pm
Same

story, different day. Everyone driving while drunk is convinced they're invincible.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/28/13 - 05:54 pm
Only a few days ago, Lucky

Only a few days ago, Lucky Jackson was sentenced to 12 years in prison for killing an innocent young woman while DUI:

Christopher, you may be facing the same judge. I doubt that this judge will value the life of the lady you killed any less than that of the other woman. You get your day in court and our system allows you to put on the best defense that your financial resources will allow. But I would spend my time while out on bail to put my affairs in order because you could be going away for a looooooooong time. Interesting that your name is San Miguel. I doubt that Saint Michael is going to be of much help.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/13 - 07:23 pm
Prior hours

Were they coming back from a rock concert in Atlanta?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/28/13 - 09:51 pm
I don't find equivalence with

I don't find equivalence with this incident and the Jordan White death.

1. Mr. Jackson was driving at a BAC level close to comatose, ran a red light and killed Ms. White.

2. Mr. San Miguel's passenger voluntarily accompanied him knowing he was intoxicated. Unfortunately, her risk resulted in her death.

Sad circumstances in both cases, but still not equivalent in severity of crime.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/28/13 - 10:47 pm
So if Miggy's victim was

So if Miggy's victim was walking along the side of the road rather than a passenger and he ran her over, his punishment should be enhanced? It will interesting to see how the judge calls it. Lucky 3.5X legally drunk and Miggy was ONLY 2X. So the judge is going to cut him a break? I wouldn't use the word "equivalent" either. But I would say "similar". It's going to boil down to the talents of the prosecutor and the defense attorney. Maybe the defense attorney will play the blame the victim card. It's been done before. Maybe Miggy will catch a break and get 12 IAD's on his jury. Anything could happen.

my.voice
my.voice 03/29/13 - 08:44 am
Wow, 6 dislikes on my post.

Wow, 6 dislikes on my post. Well done!

What if this was YOUR mother, father, wife, child that was murdered because some idiot thinks he can drive while intoxicated.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/29/13 - 09:11 am
My voice: you have my

My voice: you have my support in voicing your opinion over this issue. Your words are passionate, signifying anger and even some sadness. Regarding my post on this sad situation: People can only read my words on here (they cant see my face, body language, nor can tell for sure what I'm feeling) and maybe some of them don't like the way I said it or they don't like the tone of my post. Because of the tone of my post, maybe just ONE person out there will get a message that maybe would have gone unnoticed. Because of the tone of my post, maybe ONE life will be saved. Because of the tone of my post, maybe ANOTHER person will think twice and thereby avoid a lifetime of pain and suffering and a world of hurt. As for the 99.99% of the rest of you who may not like the tone of my post--I don't give a tinker's damn about you.

David Parker
David Parker 03/29/13 - 09:15 am
That usually means your post

That usually means your post is effective.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/29/13 - 09:51 am
eGAD's

Makes less sense than I do most of the time.

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 03/29/13 - 12:34 pm
He KNEW he was drunk he KNEW

He KNEW he was drunk he KNEW it was WRONG to DRIVE PERIOD!!!!

Venue change sought in Aiken police slaying

Judge Clifton Newman told attorneys for Stephon Carter that a motion to move the venue or select jurors outside Aiken County was premature. Carter is accused of killing Public Safety Officer ...