Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Suspect teen didn't shoot Brunswick, Ga. baby, lawyer says

Monday, March 25, 2013 1:07 PM
Last updated 7:23 PM

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — The lawyer for a suspect in the shooting death of a baby who was killed in his stroller says his client is “absolutely” not guilty.

“My client is absolutely, 1,000 percent not guilty,” public defender Kevin Gough, who represents 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins, told The Associated Press. He made the comments Monday, while preparing for Elkins’ first court appearance on a murder charge. It was scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday.

Earlier, a 14-year-old boy who also faces a murder charge appeared in court Monday morning in the death of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago in Brunswick. The baby was killed Thursday as his mother walked him on a Brunswick street.

At Monday morning’s hearing, the 14-year-old came into the courtroom shackled and wearing a baggy orange jumpsuit, The Florida Times-Union reported.

He glanced at the few members of the media allowed into the courtroom for the initial appearance as he shuffled to a lectern facing Glynn County Magistrate Tim Barton.

The magistrate told the boy he can’t set a bond since only Superior Court judges can do so in murder cases,

“I’m going to see that you get a lawyer immediately,” Barton told the boy.

The 14-year-old was in the eighth grade at Glynn Middle School before his arrest, said Jim Weidhaas, a spokesman for the Glynn County school system.

Elkins was last a student in the system in October 2011 when he left Ombudsman, an outsourced alternative school program, Weidhaas said.

The baby’s mother, Sherry West, said she was walking home Thursday morning when two boys confronted her and one of them opened fire. Police say she was shot in the leg, and her baby was shot in face.

Gough said he has demanded a bond hearing and filed a request for a speedy trial for Elkins.

“We look forward to our day in court,” he said.

myfather15
myfather15 03/25/13 - 01:47 pm
Well........

Well, there we have it; his lawyer said he is 1,000 percent not guilty. So why even hold a trial? Why not free him now since his lawyer said he is innocent? Because lawyers are notorious LIARS!! Usually, on the moral depth chart, lawyers are just a step or two below their clients.

Maybe, if this teenager is found guilty, the lawyer should receive the same punishment for misleading the public and being a disgusting piece of filth!!

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 03/25/13 - 01:51 pm
1000 Percent Not Guilty...HUH?

Whichever punk had the gun, that's the one that gets the Dirt Nap. The other one, gets tried as an accessory to murder since they both were out there with the intent to rob someone. Great Public Defender -- 1000 percent innocent...Sad.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/25/13 - 03:12 pm
that's it...when interviewed

that's it...when interviewed by a local tv station his sister said..."my-eyes brohda could aint not did dooed dis hes got da good hart...so dis why my brohda didn't do dis (of course she's probably an obama voter, if she even voted and she herself probably got 2-3 kids by different babbies daddies) its all y'all racist fo my brohda cuase he be black and he not do aint fo sho is dis"....the offender high school drop out-was in the local knucklehead...oooops alternative school i guess he thought school wasn't for him and that call from bill gates to be hire as his COO was coming anytime now...or i guess this pice of crap had plans on be a "rapper" make it big to get his blig fo his "sorry az$ mammy"....wherever she is ......

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/25/13 - 03:39 pm
“My client is absolutely,

“My client is absolutely, 1,000 percent not guilty,”

So if you can have "carry over pleas", that means he can commit 10 more murders.....mathematically speaking.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/25/13 - 05:08 pm
1000% Innocent & I believe him,

Yeah Uh Huh
I believe him, his lawyer & Dixieman has a 9 Billion Points

I pray we don't have another OJ trial type screw-up and this nutcase walks.

Dixieman... no jab intended

Lorraine
Lorraine 03/25/13 - 06:34 pm
I am weighing in to add that

I am weighing in to add that people are innocent until they are proven guilty without a shadow of a doubt. So these two Black boys must also be given a fair trial. Remember Susan Smith from South Carolina crying those crocodile tears, a Black man killed my boys. Yeah, right.

fatboyhog
1940
fatboyhog 03/25/13 - 07:20 pm
More to the story..

There has to be more to this story..I suspect there will be another arrest before all is said and done. Maybe I'm wrong, but something just doesn't "smell" right here..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/25/13 - 10:40 pm
fatboyhog

sad to say but you just may be right....that is a strong statement made by the lawyer if he didn't have additional evidence.

KSL
KSL 03/26/13 - 12:11 am
Wonder what the 14 year old

Wonder what the 14 year old has to say.

KSL
KSL 03/26/13 - 01:29 am
Beyond reasonable doubt

Lorraine, I served on a jury who voted to let a guilty guy go. The prosecution had committed a blunder. Everyone of us knew he was guilty. We followed the law.

That is what not guilty until proven.... means. Not your definition.

Plenty of people are guilty in the eyes of the public and they are free to hold that thought. A guilty person is fortunate to find a lawyer who can find improprieties in the prosecution's case that can cause the jury to let a known criminal walk based on the law.

carcraft
carcraft 03/26/13 - 04:27 am
How can the lawyer say he is

How can the lawyer say he is not guilty until the lawyer has seen the evidence? There is a film of the incident. Maybe he is just hoping to get Jessie the donkey man down for demonstartions ! Maybe Obama will say he looked like the son he never had! Would have been nice if Zimmerman had the innocent until proven guilty respect!

myfather15
myfather15 03/26/13 - 06:04 am
Lorraine and Fatboyhog

have very good points; I agree with both of them. My comment earlier wasn't about these young mens guilt or innocence at all but about a LAWYER claiming the innocence. I guess I let my personal feelings slip in there a little. In 16 years, I've had MANY experiences with lawyers LYING for their clients. I've had lawyers rip me on the stand, calling me a liar; when I know I've never lied on the stand. MANY lawyers do this exact thing; and when you take money to buy your morals, you're a scumbag in my opinion.

But on this case, It's such a shocking crime; it's almost hard for a law enforcement officer of 16 years to believe. I've seen the worst of the worst. But THIS, is a different level my friends. Shooting a baby in the face is one of the most coldhearted acts imaginable. So, I agree that I believe we are going to hear more about this in the future. There is more to this story than we know about. My instincts are also kicking in here and something isn't right.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/26/13 - 08:14 am
Which One?

According to the mother, only one of the pair brandished a weapon. Which one does she claim it was, the 14-year-old or the 17-year-old? This story does not say.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/26/13 - 09:17 am
The mother or grandmother of one of the

alleged shooters says the boy was with her all morning. Ate breakfast at her house and went shopping with her. Mothers and grandmothers do not lie?

As for the courtroom, stay away from it. Jurors are bored, apathetic and or ignorant according to one very local noted high profile criminal lawyer.

Beyond a reasonable doubt, don't understand that terminology.
Consider in your verdict, only those facts and statements presented in open court. NEVER HAPPEN.

I FEEL he or she is innocent. I RELATE to their situation. BINGO.
I FEEL the defendant, he or she, is the real victim in this case. BINGO

"The best used car salesman wins the battle in the courtroom."

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/26/13 - 09:36 am
I'm certain

Mr. Gough was an eye witness to the assassination.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/26/13 - 11:19 am
KSL if you believed he was

KSL if you believed he was guilty based on evidence then why not just hold out hang the jury and allow the state to make a choice to retry him or not. not that he was acquitted he can't be tried for that crime again and now is free to commit the same crime or another one that could be worse

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/26/13 - 12:08 pm
****update folks just heard

****update folks just heard both the sorry az$ mammy and the trifling aunt both have been charged with making false statements to police (regarding the monkey-ape son who shot that child)...the sorry mammy bonded out and the trifling aunt is on a probation hold for probation violation in henry county, ga...nothing said about the daddy, of course silly me this child is an obammy child mammy on welfare lives in "gubment housing" has 3 more kids and probably the same for the trrifling aunt..but of course they will call racism, just wondering since the child is white will there be protest marches by the idiots at paine college (like they did for trayvonn), i would like the students to organize a bus trip down to brunswick to march in the name of the baby.....hey everyone, i wonder if al or jessie are going down to brunswick to march...oh yeah that's right the offender is black..oh well maybe they will march crying racism they the shooter is black and no white suspects were ever picked up or questioned....

Grace422
Grace422 03/26/13 - 01:44 pm
AJC is reporting

That authorites have arrested the older boy's Mother & Aunt for making false statesments to PD...

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 03/26/13 - 02:37 pm
You're Right Grace422

Yep, I just checked on the Brunswick News online paper and the Aunt and Mother were arrested for giving a false alibi and they even went ahead and gave up information that has led to the recovery of the gun! These two woman deserve to be in jail and stand trial with the boy because they tried to cover it up. Man this really makes me angry. I am just glad they were arrested and charged. What a family...right?

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/26/13 - 02:52 pm
the ajc has a picture of the

the ajc has a picture of the criminal aunt...she looks just like a typical obammy voter she has the look of no job, many kids, welfare queen moocher, leech, and parasiteand of course "dey child did not do dis wit the white folks say he did do.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 03/26/13 - 02:57 pm
Interesting

It will be interesting what the lawyer will say now that the mom and aunt have been arrested and that they knew where the gun was. Is the lawyer still 1000 % sure his client is innocent now? I heard through the grapevine and I don't have confirmation of this yet...that a phone video was made of him shooting the baby and that is why the police are so sure the women were telling lies. Now, I bet we are still going to hear people say, "would you not tell a lie to keep your son out of jail?" And my answer would be NO, I Would Not! I would still love my son but I could not cover up such a hateful act of violence. These boys are full of evil and are a danger to all society.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/26/13 - 03:10 pm
****ADDITIONAL

****ADDITIONAL UPDATE******
folks they just found the gun...the infomation was provided by the sorry az$ mother and trifling Aunt, they gave that authorities where to find the gun and it was found in a salt water pond where these two worthless wastes of human beings said it was...so now i wonder if asked again would the "scum bag" lawyer say his client is 1000% not guilty...ladies and gentleman this is a perfect example of the welfare culture that exists knowing their child did what he did instead of doing the right thing to see that justice is done they collude with the shooter helping him dispose of the gun....these 2 welfare, parasites, moocher, leech, brood mares should be given 30 years apiece and the piece of crap should be executed immediately

myfather15
myfather15 03/26/13 - 03:20 pm
@scoopdedoop

When I was growing up, my mother told me numerous times "Don't EVER expect me to lie for you. If you commit a crime and I know about it, I'll be the first to tell on you."

Maybe thats why I'm enforcing the law and consider myself to have high morals, because of how my parents taught me; and thats why these teenagers are where they are. His parents LIED for him, mine taught me exactly the opposite. They taught me to have honor and integrity. It's truly a shame these young men don't have better role models.

NO, I will never lie for my children either. They will be taught right and wrong and to be accountable for their actions.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 03/26/13 - 03:42 pm
@myfather15

So very true and thanks for your service. You are right about these young men not having better role models. So often much is made about race but it's not race, its the culture that a child grows up with. Now of course I don't mean that these young men don't have to deal with the consequences of their actions but I do wish they could be brought up better. It doesn't matter if you are white or black there has to be a moral code of ethics that are taught from one generation to another and without having strong men of honor to lead them our kids are suffering. I can tell you my children know who their father is, he is right beside Momma ready to love, train and yes kick their rear end if that's what they need at the time.

Grace422
Grace422 03/26/13 - 03:47 pm
Did anyone notice that

The mom, aunt and 17 year old all have the same last name.. Which leads me to think neither woman has married even though they have childern / thier own families now. Can't help but think that they are a family that has a long history or atleast 17 years of working the system. Cut thier walfare off if that is the case.. I would be very upset to find out that we the people support this worthless family that can afford to hire an attny. to defend this punk when I have never been on welfare could not afford to run right out and hire an attny to defend me in a murder case.

KSL
KSL 03/26/13 - 08:55 pm
Grace, the attorney is a

Grace, the attorney is a public defender, provided by taxpayers. So yes, they are definitely using the system.

myfather15
myfather15 03/26/13 - 10:44 pm
This is an EXTREMELY high

This is an EXTREMELY high profile case; lawyers would be lining up to take the case pro bono because of the publicity they would get. Why? Because lawyers such as these are disgusting worms, no better than their clients. They don't care if it's good or bad publicity, it's still publicity and will help them get rich by adding clients such as child molestors and drug dealers. Last time I checked, high morals, honor and integrity in lawyers, aren't high on drug dealers and child molestors list of concerns.