Brunswick mother certain 17-year-old killed her baby

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — The mother of a baby shot dead in his stroller took one look at a teenage suspect’s jailhouse mugshot Saturday and said he was definitely the killer. Yet an aunt of the teen said he was eating breakfast with her when the slaying took place.

Back | Next
Two teddy bears and a vase of flowers sit on a street corner in Brunswick, Ga., near where a 13-month-old baby was fatally shot. Sherry West says her son was shot by a gunman after she refused to give him money.  RUSS BYNUM/ASSOCIATED PRESS
RUSS BYNUM/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Police have charged 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins with murder, along with a 14-year-old suspect whose name has been withheld because he’s a juvenile.

Brunswick police spokesman Todd Rhodes said even though Elkins’ aunt provided an alibi, authorities have good reason to bring the charges.

“That’s what she’s saying, but the evidence we’re looking at says something else,” Rhodes said, though he would not elaborate.

Police released 911 recordings from neighbors who sobbed and pleaded for help right after 13-month-old Antonio Santiago was shot in the head a few blocks from his mother’s apartment.

Sherry West said she was pushing her baby in his stroller as she walked home from the post office Thursday morning. She said a teenager, with a younger boy behind him, approached and asked for money. West said that when she told him she had no money, the teen drew a gun and said: “Do you want me to kill your baby?”

The gunman opened fire and West was shot in the leg, while another bullet grazed her left ear, she said. She watched helplessly as the gunman shot her son in the face, she said.

Two teddy bears, a vase of flowers and a decorative cross had been left Saturday against a wooden fence near the shooting scene.

Katrina Freeman said Saturday that the shooter can’t be her nephew, Elkins, because he showed up at her house Thursday at 8:15 a.m. – roughly an hour before the killing. She said she cooked eggs, grits and sausage for breakfast and that Elkins accompanied her and her children to run errands when they left at about 11:30 a.m.

“He was with us the whole time,” said Freeman, adding that she gave police the same account. “There is no doubt in my mind that he is innocent.”

The slain boy’s mother said she picked the gunman out of a photo lineup of 24 mugshots police brought to her Friday. When a reporter showed her the photo of Elkins taken when he was booked into the Glynn County jail Friday, she wept and nodded.

“He killed my baby, and he shot me, too,” she said.

At her apartment Satur­day, West had filled several bags with her son’s clothes and diapers to donate to charity. She said she hopes prosecutors pursue the death penalty in the case.

“My baby will never be back again,” West said, sobbing. “He took an innocent life. I want his life, too.”

Police said they are still searching for the gun. No eyewitnesses have come forward.

In the 911 recordings, two callers said they heard gunshots and then saw West take her son out of his stroller, lay him on the ground and try to revive him using CPR.

“Yes, I heard the shots. Somebody shot this child,” said one sobbing caller, who told the operator there were three shots fired. “She’s got him on the ground. Please, we need everything we can get.”

The 911 operators asked the callers whether the boy was breathing. Finally, a man in a grave voice answers: “No, the baby’s not breathing.” He says the child was shot “right between the eyes.”

A woman can be heard screaming in the background just before police arrive. Sirens drowned out her cries.

Elkins’ relatives said Saturday they don’t know if he has an attorney. His older sister, Sabrina Elkins, said police arrested him as he came to her home Friday.

“The police came pointing a Taser at him, telling him to get on the ground,” she said. “He said, ‘What are you getting me for? Can you tell me what I did?’”

The suspect’s sister said he returned to Brunswick a couple of months ago after living in Atlanta for a while. While he wasn’t enrolled in high school, she said, he had been taking classes to earn his GED.

“He couldn’t have done that to a little baby,” Sabrina Elkins said. “My brother has a good heart.”

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/23/13 - 05:39 pm
If the

boy is found guilty, aunt Elkins need to be convicted of accessory to murder after the fact.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/23/13 - 06:27 pm
This is such a tragic and

This is such a tragic and bizarre story all at the same time.
"At her apartment Saturday, West had filled several bags with her son’s clothes and diapers to donate to charity."
My first thought after reading that was that it was so, so soon that a mother would be cleaning things out, to give away! But we just don't know how we would deal with grief....just because I would hang on to my child's things for a much longer time, doesn't mean that this poor mother would.
And the shooter? I hope the police have the definite proof they need to get the actual killer, no matter who it is. Wouldn't the shooter have some sort of gun powder on his hands, as along as he wasn't wearing gloves?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/23/13 - 06:36 pm
GSD

might be what the police are referring to when they say ""That's what she's saying, but the evidence we're looking at says something else," Rhodes said. He would not elaborate."

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/23/13 - 06:53 pm
It's a shame if the parents

It's a shame if relatives are lying for him after such a horrendous crime was committed.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/23/13 - 07:23 pm
Patty, I agree with you. And

Patty, I agree with you. And it made me think about that. Who would lie for him like that? Well, I guess in this case...if he is guilty...you have to figure that his family might have contributed to his outlook. But it sure is hard to believe that ANY loving family would produce something this evil.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/23/13 - 08:33 pm
If she is found to be lying,

If she is found to be lying, they should arrest her too.

jmo
jmo 03/23/13 - 08:36 pm
Just pinch.......

their heads off and let God sort it out.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 03/23/13 - 10:37 pm
Terrible

If the aunt is lying then they should arrest her for being part of the killing. Its about time we remove these criminals and their gangsta culture from our midst.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/23/13 - 11:06 pm
Yes, if the aunt is lying;

Yes, if the aunt is lying; she should be arrested and the book thrown at her. If she is, she is no better than the wothless piece of human debris, oxygen thieving murderer.

reba530
reba530 03/24/13 - 01:45 am
How any human being could do

How any human being could do something as bad as this makes me sick to my stomach. And how his family said oh he has a heart he would never do anything like this. BULL!!! Well he did and I hope he pays and pays with his young life. Of course no one wants to believe that their family members can do something like this but it does happen everyday

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/24/13 - 05:32 am
OK I am going to get cynical

OK I am going to get cynical

What will be the next logical steps or progression for this case?

1. Rallies to free De’Marquise Elkins, (of course the defenders, media and others will have a Nickname or a street name by then, to use.
2. Instant Media circus and camp ground boosts ADs sells.
3. Local Florists increase ads, Flower shrine at the murder site blooms.
4. Dirt digging on the Mother for anything to blow out of proportion,
5. Reverends & Celebrities making speeches, do the Talking Head shows for profit and media exposure for frame or defense fund donations.
6. New want-a-be Race Baiters, jump in to establish a local name,
7. T-shirt & other promotional Salesman selling items,
8. Community Safety Rallies demanding more police,
9. Some politician(s) jumping for personal, political gain or an agenda,
10. A Political or appointees commission to look into the matter,

11. More money wasted on political tom-foolery than allowed to be spend on the murder investigation, trial, or appeals.
12. Defense fund donations & appeals.

13. Jury trial more of the above,
14. TV and NEWS shows paying for interviews,
15. Jury Verdict challenged by side or the other.

16. IF GUILTY
a. possible riot.
b. No Gun Ammo available for homeowners
c. More politicians and Media Celebrities jump in help stop what they started

17. NOT GUILTY
a. Lots of griping by the community.
b. No Riots.
c. situation dies out over time.
d. Annual Remember ______ more flowers

18. Lawsuits both sides
19. Major emotional and/or legal problem 3 to 4 years down the road for the Mother, suspect(s) or a closely related relative in the story.

I forgot the baby burial fund and etc.. to help the mother.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/24/13 - 06:54 am
Saddest 911 call

A gripping crying 911 call was the saddest I have ever heard.....baby shot in head...please come now...OMG....please Jesus....help us all..

Guntoter 2
Guntoter 2 03/24/13 - 08:09 am
THE REAL LAW.

I still say Sharia Law would end all this madness..crime in this country would be zero.It's gonna get worst people so beware and stay safe.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/24/13 - 08:48 am
I wrote

a bunch of one liners on this unbelievable actions committed by less then whale poo humans and then deleted it.

I said to myself, that there has to be more to this unGodly act that everyone isn't aware of. Just too hard to believe to comment on.

carcraft
carcraft 03/24/13 - 08:56 am
Did the 14 year old roll over

Did the 14 year old roll over on the 17 year old?

carcraft
carcraft 03/24/13 - 08:58 am
Truth is stranger than

Truth is stranger than fiction because as Mark Twain said "fiction has to make sense "

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 03/24/13 - 05:57 pm
gun powder

Don't they check the suspect for gunpowder residue? If he has none then that should be the first clue to innocence, shouldn't it?

carcraft
carcraft 03/24/13 - 06:30 pm
Gun powder residue maybe part

Gun powder residue maybe part of what they have that connects him to the murder!

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/25/13 - 11:43 am
so now the aunt..of course

so now the aunt..of course she is an obammy voter and probably a welfare brood mare herself claims "my neefew aint not did dis wat y'all wahite peepel say he done did...my neefew he a goot boy and was pannin on goin to da ahmee next munt cause he be goot boy..yea he gots in a lil trubel a while back be he straten he self out to go in da ahmee...y'all white peepel wont too blame my nehfew cause he be black..he was wit me..i was ohn my way down to da obama office...ah i mean da welfare office to get my obama phone, my obama EBT, and my obama money from he stash...cause he say if we don't wont to werk we dont have too bu will give us free stuff like a phone, money, and EBT fo my crab legs, stakes, and scrimp..i was showin my nehfew how to sign up fo da welfare so he can be a leech, moocher, and parasite like me he auntie..cause i be not gonna work as lonk as obammy be in office casue he black and he like up black folk enuff to get us free welfare and EBT and a free gubment house to stay in...my nehfew be innascent he aint not doood dis wat y'all say he do...y'all only sayin he do dis cause da baby he be wite and my nehfew be black in stuff" after all of this there is one question that still remains...WHERE IS THE SORRY MAMMY OF THIS ANIMAL??? is she in jail??? standing on the corner "cracked out"....where is she..the aunt only wants the boy because she then qualify for "mo EBT"..if guilty there shouldn't be a trial this piece of crap and hsi no good trifling aunt should be executed immediately him for his act and the sorry aunt for knowingly lying in an attempt to protect him

Pops
Pops 03/25/13 - 07:40 pm
Don't people understand

there has never been a crime committed by a minority. EVER.

Delirious58
Delirious58 03/26/13 - 01:35 pm
Could this be another Susan Smith story?

The whole truth will come to the surface and whom ever is lying must be punished. My heart goes out to the innocent little boy who lost his life so tragically.

KSL
KSL 03/27/13 - 03:20 pm
More questions than answers

She has already donated his clothes?

On the media circuit? Why?

How does a 13 month old sleep through 2 gunshots, as reported?