Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

South Carolina man gets 10 years for tossing dogs in canal

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:19 AM
Last updated 7:07 PM

GEORGETOWN, S.C. — A Georgetown man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to putting two dogs in duct tape and throwing them into a canal.

Bobby Joe McConnell pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of ill treatment of animals.

Police say McConnell tied up two dogs with duct tape last July and dumped them into the International Paper canal in Georgetown County. Both dogs had belonged to McConnell’s family.

One dog died, the other was rescued by a fisherman.

The judge granted a local animal center ownership of the rescued dog, now named Dara, so she can be fostered or adopted out.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/20/13 - 08:51 am
And there has been recent

And there has been recent studies that suggest plants feel pain.

Where will it stop? Like I said, the ultimate goal of odd vegetarians is to force their odd worldview upon the rest of us.

To paraphrase – I love animals – especially when they’re deep fried.

Ouch! Is that insensitive? Ask me while I’m biting into a deep fried breast from Wife Savers.

KSL
KSL 03/20/13 - 09:37 am
Not just recently

Decades ago I read a book entitled, THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS. I have it somewhere.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/20/13 - 09:54 am
Too see examples of "skin's"

Too see examples of "skin's" discussion of how we treat food animals, watch this video: http://vimeo.com/10663789 (If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarians)

WARNING! It is not for the queasy. I challenge all of you who think this man got a just sentence to watch this, and tell me how we can rationally talk about imprisoning someone for animal cruelty, while turning a blind eye to the abuses that go on in the food industry.

No, I'm not a PETA fan; I dislike extremism in all forms, and some of those folks are as nutty as you get. I will also allow for the likelihood that this film only shows the worst of the worst to make a point; but the fact remains that mass meat production has a very dark and ugly side that should disturb anyone with compassion for helpless animals.

Veganism is gaining ground worldwide, and you will see people eating less and less meat. You can get all of your nutrional needs from a plant based diet, and will live a lot longer and healthier for it. I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian, but my consumption of beef, pork, and poultry has reduced dramatically after becoming more aware of the ugly side of mass meat production.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/20/13 - 11:32 am
“You can get all of your

“You can get all of your nutrional needs from a plant based diet, and will live a lot longer and healthier for it”

And that is an assumed statement. Because of the control groups.

As for the video you linked, truth mixed with half-truths, mixed with fiction, and shaken with a huge dose of emotionalism. Disturbing no doubt, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit I feel a pang everytime I skin a catfish. I would describe the most efficient way to do that, if Mr. McCartney promises not to narrate a video about it.

Also, if you were to consider the plight of the poor without access to cheap meat, you’d realize an even more disturbing picture. Of course that’s a little deeper than the producer of the video wanted one to consider.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/20/13 - 12:14 pm
The Secret Life of

The Secret Life of Plants?

I'll have to find that one, sounds interesting.

cj52111
cj52111 03/20/13 - 04:31 pm
"Ode to Billy Joe"

This is a sad situation.
Reminds me of the old country song, "the day that "Billie Joe McAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge.", but in this case it is Bobby Joe McConnel dealing with the bridge. I feel there may be some mental health issues involved here, we have systems in place to help with unwanted animals. You can usually find a parking lot has someone giving away puppies every weekend. Buy a small bag of puppy chow to go with the free puppy and it is a cinch. This story will help Dara find a good home. Go home and hug your pet folks, they don't ask for much!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/20/13 - 05:19 pm
Young Fred

You get no argument from me about extremists and their agenda. But these pictures are real; or do you contend they are fabrications; staged, doctored, or otherwise falsified?

Darby
Darby 03/20/13 - 06:36 pm
"And Darby, i'd starve to...

death before I ate my dog."

I follow your logic and your revulsion at the thought of consuming your pet. I wouldn't want to eat your dog either.

On the other hand, there must be some reason that nature (God) gave us humans those nice pointy canine teeth. You sure as heck don't need those babies to your masticate your broccoli and cheese.

BTW, broccoli is just about one of my favorite foods. Comes just behind filet mignon and barbecued spare ribs.

PS - And my wife's pecan pie.

Darby
Darby 03/20/13 - 06:34 pm
I can certainly understand

I can certainly understand how a person might chose to become vegan given the process required to produce meat. Just as I can accept that some folks might choose to go childless after witnessing the human act of reproduction.

Fortunately, I found myself to be immune in both cases.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/20/13 - 08:38 pm
itsanotherday1

“But these pictures are real; or do you contend they are fabrications; staged, doctored, or otherwise falsified?”

Not at all, I just know that the vast majority of butchery is short and sweet, contrary to the jest of the video. The pictures of carcasses being scooped into a front-end loader for instance, while not pretty doesn't do much for the debate, as the animals are dead.

As for the chickens, well let's get real. I believe the “intelligence” of chickens are somewhere between a raw potato and a slug. Most animals are consumed with the desire to eat, keep them feed and they tend to be “happy”, if “happy” is really a concept you can apply to a chicken. Lets say “satisfied”.

I'm all for the “short and sweet” method of butchering. No need to prolong pain, none at all, and contrary to the video (as you yourself pointed out) prolonged pain is the exception and not the rule.