Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

No bond for ex-officer charged with stalking ex-wife

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:51 PM
Last updated 8:17 PM

A Superior Court judge refused to grant bond Friday for a former Richmond County sheriff’s investigator accused of stalking his ex-wife.

Former Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Timothy Allen Tobias, 45, is accused of stalking his ex-wife.    Special
Special

Timothy Allen Tobias, 45, of Augusta, was arrested Feb. 27 and charged with aggravated stalking, according to jail records.

His 37-year-old ex-wife told deputies that Tobias, who had been charged before with stalking her, went to her Evans home Feb. 27. She said that after she pulled into her driveway and entered, she heard a knock and saw Tobias outside, according to a Co­lum­bia County sheriff’s report.

A deputy found Tobias walking toward the back of the townhouse. When the deputy spoke to him, Tobias walked toward the deputy with a cup in his right hand and his left hand in his pocket, according to the report. The deputy told Tobias to take his hand out of his pocket, and Tobias switched the cup to his left hand and stuck his right hand into his pocket. Tobias didn’t follow the deputy’s instructions to remove his hands from his pockets and to get to the ground.

The deputy put him on the ground and handcuffed him, according to the report. The deputy wrote that Tobias appeared to be extremely intoxicated and smelled like alcohol.

The resident said a restraining order against him was a stipulation of their divorce, according to the report. She said Tobias was on probation for stalking her in the past. He was charged in January 2011 with stalking and again in April 2011 with aggravated stalking, according to sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of stalking and one count of aggravated stalking in August 2011 under the First Offender Act.

Tobias was a Richmond County sheriff’s investigator until he resigned in October 2010, according to sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew. He had been hired in November 1987.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/15/13 - 03:36 pm
No bond? I don't buy that

No bond? I don't buy that unless he is acting crazy.

fishman960
fishman960 03/15/13 - 03:46 pm
PTSD

I don't think he ever recovered from the Captain D's debacle. You truly had to be there to understand.
Again, thank you Tim for being there that night.

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 03/15/13 - 05:58 pm
fisherman,

While I certainly can appreciate that he may be still suffering emotionally, that does not give him the right to terrorize this poor woman. He needs to stop self-medicating with alcohol and get some professional help.

Mrswkc2001
Mrswkc2001 03/15/13 - 06:04 pm
Agreed

While he did save lives that night at Captain D's, there is no excuse for causing the undue stress on his ex-wife. It is possible to understand why he drank more after the incident, but alcohol is a crutch, not a comfort. It cost him his wife and then his job. He needs to deal with his problems sober and not cause problems for others.

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 03/16/13 - 05:29 am
Captain D's

What happened?

curly123053
curly123053 03/16/13 - 06:43 am
I don't recall what happened

I don't recall what happened at Captain D's, but that is besides the point. Anyone that has been in the CSRA a long time may remember the Aiken County case out of the valley years ago in the 1990's I think. A Mr Muns kept harassing his estranged wife. He would be gone when the law got there. This went on repeatedly until they found her dead, and Muns finally got the job done. would hate to see the same thing happen with this Tobias character. hope Tobias gets any help he might need, but alcohol is not the kind of help he needs.

fishman960
fishman960 03/16/13 - 11:14 am
First post

My very first post to the Chronicle was about this episode, and funny enough I was posting against River.
I was standing at the counter waiting for a refill when Gooden came into the restaurant.
Tim Tobias used his training to protect my wife and I. Not until the dust settled did we realize the extent of the situation.
My intent is to praise him for his actions on that night.
I cannot excuse his present actions, but if I could help him in any way I most certainly will.

WAG
WAG 03/16/13 - 11:40 am
Riverman do you have a

Riverman do you have a daughter? How bout we let him stalk her.....I hope they keep him locked up. Do you know how it is to be terrorized by someone like that...No bond. Absolutely or we will be reading about her funeral!

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.