Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Arrest made in fatal Stapleton shooting

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:57 PM
Last updated 7:04 PM

Officers formally charged Jeremy Harrison Rowland, 42, of Stapleton, Ga., Wednesday in the shooting death of Billy Joe Julian Logan, 31, of Gibson.

Rowland  Special
Special
Rowland

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

The homicide took place Tuesday about 8 p.m. at Rowland’s home on Lemon Street.

Rowland has been charged with one count of murder and one count of possessing a firearm during the commission of certain crimes. He is being held at the Jefferson County Jail awaiting a bond hearing before a Superior Court judge.

Logan was shot at least once and was pronounced dead at the scene, investigators say.

The investigation shows the two men have been arguing for several months over Rowland’s ex-wife, officials said.

The investigation is continuing and the victim’s body is being transported to the GBI crime lab in Augusta for an autopsy.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/13/13 - 04:00 pm
Unsavory looking character

Unsavory looking character for sure.

griff6035
griff6035 03/13/13 - 07:41 pm
Death

If it happened at the accused home, what was the deceased doing there. Might be self-defense.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/13/13 - 09:47 pm
Might be griff, but I don't

Might be griff, but I don't see it as likely since he was charged with murder.

myfather15
myfather15 03/14/13 - 10:34 am
Actually, self defense is

Actually, self defense is going to be very likely. They often times charge someone and leave it up to the grand jury to decide whether it was self defense. District Attorneys often do this to allow "The people" to decide the self-defense issue, so they won't be blamed for the results or not charging them. Knowing many details of this case, self-defense is very likely, in my opinion.

CountryGurl308
CountryGurl308 05/19/14 - 10:11 pm
For your IFM...

Before anyone can post anything....Find out what exactly happened!!! I'm his(Billy Joe's) sister and I know exactly what happened. Jeremy and his Ex-Wife had this planned and she was also playing both of them going back and forth. She called B.J. (Billy Joe) my brother to come get her and once he arrived to pick her up her ex-husband shot him ....she left and had someone pick her up before the law showed up with her 2 or 3 year old daughter that also seen it. Which she also talked to her friends about that her daughter wouldn't quit screaming at night because of it. I had actually talked to her on the phone the same night which at the time I didn't know where she was but could hear that she was riding with someone in a car. Later...she text-ed me and said that she knew exactly what happened but I would never know.She was mad bc she wasn't welcome at the funeral. I went to the bond hearing and this Guy's story doesn't add up...I could Keep going but not going to get into all that. But I think it is UNFAIR that a MURDERER is out on BOND ENJOYING his life...in which the family seen this guy having fun at a festival about 2 weeks ago....Who is he going for next? Why did they even let him out until they found out if he was guilty or not? He killed my brother bc he cared for one human being and tried to help her. THIS IS BS....SO BEFORE ANYONE makes anymore comments on this....Consider our family and remember that you don't know the whole story and NO it wasn't SELF DEFENSE!!!!

Mother tries to conceal newborn's birth

Cierra Y'Kesia Simms, 22, initially told Richmond County Sheriff's deputies about 7 a.m. Wednesday that she had discovered the baby on the ground behind the Masonic Temple on Wrightsboro Road, ...