Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

24 arrested as Operation Thunder continues

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:41 AM
Last updated 7:25 PM

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office has released statistics from Operation Thunder’s traffic enforcement Saturday and road checks Sunday.

Operation Thunder is an operation aimed at cutting down on driving offenses. The three-month operation began in Feb. 14.

Officers conducted traffic enforcement at several locations Saturday but did not have road checks. Road checks were conducted Sunday at Boykin, Kissingbower and Skinner Mill roads.

OPERATION THUNDER STATISTICS SATURDAY

Texting while driving: 2

Total arrests: 22

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 03/11/13 - 09:45 am
Good job

looks like it is working....

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/11/13 - 09:50 am
Go for it

I am all for periodic increased Traffic violation monitoring.
What I will have a problem with would be, if and when such operations become a daily practice, and they set up traffic/travel checkpoints.

But, so far Operation Thunder is having a good impact on the traffic and is slowing down even the crotch rockets that have a history of 90+ on area highways. Heck I am now even "considering" using my seat belt.

If you have never had the dis-pleasure of a Travel Checkpoint, they are common in less free cultures and more restrictive travel countries.

my.voice
my.voice 03/11/13 - 12:08 pm
I think periodic random

I think periodic random checks are a good thing. Accountability makes us all behave little more carefully.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/13 - 12:11 pm
Kinda like 1940's Germany.

Kinda like 1940's Germany. "Show us your papers".

Frank I
Frank I 03/11/13 - 12:26 pm
ooh ooh..

and like Soviet Russia.. Papers please.. 4th Amendment rights? You have none of those today.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 03/11/13 - 12:42 pm
Nothing Happening Here

Move on, nothing happening here.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/13 - 12:55 pm
It used to be that the police

It used to be that the police had to have reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime or were about to commit a crime in order to ask for identification and detain you. Those days are gone. The courts have ruled that road blocks are legal, if certian rules are followed. Often they are not, so rich folks who can afford lawyers can challenge if the road block was legit. Poor folks, on the other hand are screwed. Just remember a couple of things: Only roll your window down a couple of inches. Do not ever let the cop penetrate your car space with a flashlight. A couple of inches is enough to communicate and the cop can't make you roll it down all the way. The only thing you are required to do is show your license, registration and proof of insurance. Do not answer any other questions. Where you've been, where you're going, how much you've had to drink tonight is none of the cop's business. If he asks you to get out of the car, consider yourself under arrest and don't say anything else until your lawyer is present. Please read this:

specsta
specsta 03/11/13 - 02:01 pm
US Supreme Court

I seem to remember a ruling from SCOTUS that said that while police roadblocks are permissible, the law enforcement agency conducting the road block has to let citizens know through the media where these checkpoints will be set up, so that they can choose to avoid them.

I have not seen any such notices posted via Operation Thunder, only a notice after the operation has been completed.

In the state where I resided before coming to the CSRA, the newspaper would post the locations in print and online of upcoming roadblock operations whenever they occurred.

I'm wondering if any of these Operation Thunder road checkpoints are legal, according to the conditions of the SCOTUS ruling. It would be interesting to see a legal challenge to this.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/11/13 - 02:18 pm
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?

Heh heh. The way I see it, if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about. Sure, checkpoints are a pain, but if it helps to prevent accidents from things like DUI, texting, etc. then it's a good thing.

specsta
specsta 03/11/13 - 02:28 pm
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

NHTSA standards for roadway sobriety checkpoints:

Decision making must be at a supervisory level, rather than by officers in the field.

A neutral formula must be used to select vehicles to be stopped, such as every vehicle or every third vehicle, rather than leaving it up the officer in the field.

Primary consideration must be given to public and officer safety.
The site should be selected by policy-making officials, based upon areas having a high incidence of drunk driving.

Limitations on when the checkpoint is to be conducted and for how long, bearing in mind both effectiveness and intrusiveness.

Warning lights and signs should be clearly visible.

Length of detention of motorists should be minimized.

Advance publicity is necessary to reduce the intrusiveness of the checkpoint and increase its deterrent effect.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/13 - 02:42 pm
Red Headed SC: It's not about

Red Headed SC: It's not about not worrying if you aren't doing anything wrong, it's about both sides playing by the rules.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/13 - 03:00 pm
It's used to be that we were

It's used to be that we were proud of the fact that we were different than 1940's Germany. It made us special; a place that the rest of the world could look up to. Now we have regular everyday citizens agreeing that police road blocks are a good idea. I hate the 9/11 terrorists because they killed so many of my fellow citizens. But I hate them even more because they turned the regular everyday citizens into scared little girls and have given the police tremendous powers.

albertoli
albertoli 03/11/13 - 03:50 pm
how many of those stats

how many of those stats involved other poice officers? :)

albertoli
albertoli 03/11/13 - 03:53 pm
where I live in ohio

where I live in ohio sometimes, they do have to post the upcoming checkpoints, but this is augusta and even the deputies who are handing out tickets for not using seat belts don't know that it means them too. what else don't they know?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/11/13 - 04:15 pm
Where?

In my daily commute I travel portions of Bobby Jones and I-20 most days. I have not seen ONE patrol car since Operation Thunder began. Are they not operating during commute times? I am tired of being run over trying to remain at the speed limit while people are going 5 to 15 miles per hour OVER the speed limit and making improper lane changes. And NO, I am not in the left lane. I am in the right lane except while passing a slower vehicle.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/13 - 04:27 pm
Well

I see we have many who approve of breaking the law and getting away with it. Yep, modern day attitude!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/11/13 - 04:32 pm
After

3 months, back to normal.

I would like to know what is in "Other Violations?"

triscuit
triscuit 03/11/13 - 05:05 pm
Seatbelt violations? If you

Seatbelt violations? If you are going down the road and see a roadblock, why don't you just buckle up? and your kid? but if you are too dumb to bother to begin with...I guess not.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 03/11/13 - 05:19 pm
"Other Violations?"

Driving while black
Driving while Hispanic
Driving while poor
Driving while believing there's a Constitution
Failure to produce papers with appropriately enthusiastic "Heil!"
Failure to "sign zee papers old man" with broken hand

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/13 - 06:26 pm
Good one, dstewartsr.

Good one, dstewartsr. Patriots spilt their blood and died for these principles. Then to have people say "hey, if you're not doing anything wrong then don't worry about what the police do or how much power the legislature gives them". If those patriots could hear that, it would break their hearts.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/12/13 - 12:12 pm
Reminds Me of Drone Controversy

Yeah, this is where the libertarian in me surfaces. I am totally in favor of increased law enforcement as Operation Thunder represents except the checkpoints. The above comments covered it well. Having checkpoints is a banana republic method or worse as others brought up with references to evil totalitarian states.

I recall the Supreme Court upheld the validity of the checkpoints because drunk driving was deemed a national emergency and extraordinary temporary procedures could be employed they ruled.

Something is not right with that reasoning and it tells me any constitutional right can be taken away as long as you can justify the necessity. Gun owners’ rights next? Searches of entire neighborhoods at midnight?

It all has a feeling of the Obama’s administration saying drone strikes on Americans in this country would be legal. Thanks to Rand Paul that didn’t last long. We need another Rand Paul to take on this tremendous invasion of our privacy until everyone comes to their senses.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 03/11/13 - 09:51 pm
police state, plain and

police state, plain and simple. It's gone too far...it's unAmerican.
And, dstewartsr, hit the nail on the head at 5:19.

triscuit
triscuit 03/11/13 - 10:13 pm
Would you give strangers with

Would you give strangers with guns permission to open your car door, sit down inside, and start looking through your personal belongings? No?

rebellious
20226
rebellious 03/12/13 - 12:50 am
I loathe

the idea of jackbooted thugs stopping me and asking for my papers. Sorry, I am sure it takes many bad people off the road, but stay outta my way. I just reeks of the front door being kicked in and people being rounded up for no reason.

Do yourself a favor and read The Gulag Archipelago, a book by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Don't kid yourself into thinking it could never happen here.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/12/13 - 04:05 am
"The right of the people to

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized". Which party controls Georgia's Governor, Lt. Governor, House, and Senate?

soitgoes
soitgoes 03/12/13 - 08:09 am
I just can't believe

there are that many DUIs every weekend and that is only on the roads where the roadblocks are set up.

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 03/12/13 - 08:36 am
Savannah

The Savannah Morning News publishes checkpoints in their paper every day. Apparently, this does not apply to the RCHO. AutumnLeaves, I agree with you concerning 520. Just yesterday I observed two Honda's drag racing once they were out of the construction area. Then to top it off, to see a police officer flying down Wrightsboro Rd with no siren on, bobbing and weaving thru traffic. Ridiculous!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/12/13 - 11:30 am
The Columbia County News Times use

The Columbia County News Times use to give the locations of checkpoints in Columbia County. Maybe they still do?

Darby
Darby 03/12/13 - 01:34 pm
"Which party controls Georgia's....

Governor, Lt. Governor, House, and Senate?"
If there's a point somewhere in that question, it's not all that obvious..

Especially for those among us who remember Tom Murphy, Lester Maddox and the jack booted thugs who once trampled over our lives.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/12/13 - 06:16 pm
Murphy gets my vote for the

Murphy gets my vote for the worst speaker of the house ever. Of any state in the US.