Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Rally prays for attorney charged with theft of lost diamond ring

Alexia Davis’ colleagues, friends and defense attorneys joined her family and ministers on the Augusta courthouse steps Saturday to pray for her and to ask that she be released from charges they say are unfair.

Back | Next
The Rev. Christopher Johnson (left) leads prayer as Alexia Davis (center) stands with her parents, Guy and Mona Davis, who traveled from Mansfield, Texas, for a prayer rally on the John H. Ruffin Jr. Courthouse steps.  JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF
JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF

Davis, an attorney, is accused of theft of lost or mislaid property after finding a diamond ring in a Cracker Barrel parking lot Feb. 7. She kept the ring nearly two weeks, until she learned through the media that the owner had reported it missing.

She immediately returned the ring, said Tanya Jeffords, one of four lawyers defending Davis. Two of the four were in attendance Saturday.

The Revs. Larry Fryer, Wil­liam Harris and Chris­to­pher Johnson organized the rally to pray for her and to ask one question: Why?

“We really want to know why in the world this young lady is in the predicament she’s in,” Johnson said to a small crowd that had gathered.

Jacque Hawk, one of the lawyers defending Davis, said her character is above reproach and that it is absurd to think she knowingly committed theft.

“She works her tail off for people who can’t afford representation any other way, and she gives them quality representation by killing herself,” he said. “She’s the kind of person that has a trial on Monday and if they don’t have clothes to wear to court, she goes by Goodwill and buys clothes for them so they can have a fair day in court.”

Jeffords said the issue is not even Davis’ alleged innocence or guilt. Because there was no appropriation of property, which is required by the statute, then there is no crime, she said.

Jason Hasty, an attorney and adjunct professor of basic criminal law, would not comment on the specifics of Davis’ case because he is not part of the legal team, but he answered general questions about the law.

“The law says if I find it, once I possess it, I own it against all the world except the true owner,” he said.

He said the law states no timeframe for turning an item in to anyone except the rightful owner.

Jeffords said she and the other attorneys representing Davis – Hawk, Charles Lyons and Jack Long – are representing her pro bono because she is a colleague and a friend, and all are concerned that a conviction would unfairly ruin her career.

“We have been on this since the very beginning, and we just plain and simply feel that it’s wrong,” Jeffords said.

She said the district attorney has recused herself from the case and she’s not sure yet who will prosecute.

For most of the rally, Davis stood with her arm intertwined with her mother’s. Once, she turned to wipe tears from Mona Davis’ face.

“I appreciate all of the support that I’ve received from the community,” Davis said after the rally.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/10/13 - 04:40 pm
Didn't give this much thought

... when I read the original piece days ago; but now I know with great certainty she's guilty. Whenever they break out the 'Reverend Brigade' --if it's not howling at the injustice being done to one of their choirboys who "only needs a second chance" after accidently shooting someone over some kicks-- and surround themselves with lawyers, that's better than a confession.

The Bean
The Bean 03/10/13 - 04:41 pm
Location

Weren't the charges brought in Columbia County? Why was the rally held in Richmond County?

Swatbad
Swatbad 03/10/13 - 05:31 pm
Hey, dsewarsr!!!

Who exactly is THEY??

KSL
KSL 03/10/13 - 07:48 pm
Nicely supported rally. About

Nicely supported rally. About the same number of people on the steps as in the audience of supporters.

KSL
KSL 03/10/13 - 07:49 pm
The Bean

Because they wanted the greatest number of supporters.

Darby
Darby 03/10/13 - 08:08 pm
"....why doesn't she represent herself?"

In the immortal words of Perry Mason, "The lawyer who represents himself, has a fool for a client."

Darby
Darby 03/10/13 - 08:12 pm
"I don't see any white reverends in support of Alexia.....

and I'm the one always talking about race"

True enough, but as far as lawyers go, they just don't get any whiter than Jack Long.

KSL
KSL 03/10/13 - 08:20 pm
Darby, I think somebody said

Darby, I think somebody said that before Perry. I remember hearing that from my dad.

KSL
KSL 03/10/13 - 08:21 pm
And he didn't claim to have

And he didn't claim to have come up with it.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/10/13 - 08:32 pm
Regarding local lawyers.

Hire Lawyer Jack Long, or Freddie Sanders before the other guy, they usually win.

Darby
Darby 03/10/13 - 09:00 pm
Yeah KSL - I'm sure you are right....

I've heard it all my life and I'm a bit long in the tooth myself. I used Perry Mason in my post for reasons of expediency as much as anything else because I really didn't know who to attribute it to and didn't want anyone to think I was claiming it for my own.

Willie Loman
Willie Loman 03/10/13 - 09:03 pm
What great PR...sarcasm intended.

What great PR...sarcasm intended.

KSL
KSL 03/10/13 - 09:37 pm
Darby

Wish I could ask my Dad. He would know.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/10/13 - 11:41 pm
Hey, dsewarsr!!! (sic) Who exactly is (sic) THEY??

"They" ARE the usual suspects who begin their appeal to the community to influence it not to convict based on race, rather than facts.

ESL?

Darby
Darby 03/11/13 - 12:48 am
KSL

I know where you are coming from. There are SO many things I should have said to and asked of my dad before he passed.

I'm just glad that I finally got into the habit of telling him I loved him every time I saw him or spoke to him on the phone.

myfather15
myfather15 03/11/13 - 09:06 am
"The way I read it, when she

"The way I read it, when she "learned" that the property was "lost or mislaid" she returned it."

This is the kind of logic that is destroying the morality of this Country. It absolutely boogles my mind how any human being could think like this.

If you FIND a ring, of ANY kind lying somewhere; YOU KNOW IT ISN'T YOURS, right? So, therefore one would assume (Utilizing common sense) the ring has been LOST.

So, she SHOULD have learned the property was lost, the instant she picked it up, simply because she KNEW it didn't belong to her. She DIDN'T call law enforcement, whose job it is to investigate such things. I've been a deputy for 16 years now and I've answered NUMEROUS such calls of property being found, which was lost. We take the property and give the FINDER a property receipt, to document WE received the property from this person. Then we make every reasonable effort to FIND the owner. In this case, we would have gone back to the Cracker Barrell and interviewed waitresses, witnessed, view video footage, etc.

Timing is VERY important in these type investigations. One, because a lot of Businesses have digital security systems that only store the videos for 48 hours or so. After 48 hours the video is cycled out and lost. Therefore we would need to KNOW the property was found, as soon as possible so we could view video of the parking lot to see which vehicles might have been in the area. Ms. Davis COULD have showed us exactly where she found it; as soon as possible, which would have GREATLY helped the investigation. But did she?

What if one of the waitresses would have remembered serving a woman who had a large ring on her hand? This could have been VERY helpful in finding the owner. There are many helpful things which COULD have been done, had the found property been reported immediately. But was it reported immediately? No, it wasn't. Guess what? After all reasonable efforts by law enforcement were exhausted, SHE could have got the ring legally, if no one claimed it. Remember that property receipt we gave to the FINDER? This documents YOU turned it into the Sheriff's Office, therefore if the owner isn't found, YOU get the property after a certain amout of time. She could have taken pictures of the ring with her phone, to ensure this exact ring was turned in.

Again, without using emotions and liberal logic; this is just common sense. You find something, you call authorities immediately to help find the proper owners. You don't leave, wait two weeks; get the property appraised, then turn it in once you find out it's been reported lost. Thats EXACTLY why we have the criminal charge of "Theft of Lost or mislaid property." Because common sense SHOULD prevail and anyone who possesses it, knows you don't just keep property that doesn't belong to you. You turn it in, IMMEDIATELY!!

This woman is a very intelligent lawyer and I promise you, she knows this. She was HOPING the ring wouldn't be reported lost or missing; therefore it would be hers. She did make SOME effort, in going inside, to report to the store she found it, but not REASONABLE EFFORT. Reasonable effort would be calling people who investigate such incidents. She KNOWS this, being a lawyer. There is no excuse for this behavior.

The only excuse possible would be if, while she was in the parking lot and immediately after finding it, she got a phone call about a loved one dying or being serious injured in a car wreck and she had to rush to the hospital. Then I believe a reasonable person would understand a few days before getting around to turning it in, but NOT two weeks.

If this goes to a jury, YES I could see a conviction by a jury of reasonable people. But I don't believe it will get this far, for obvious reasons.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/11/13 - 10:30 am
"it be dey wrong-did to wont

"it be dey wrong-did to wont o pit he in jail...it be racism cause she be a black ed-u-ma-cated wuman dat dey tryin git her, y'all white peepel just jealous cause she is a be a lawyer dats all...what??? huh???? she did what??? did not turn't in a ring she found fo 2 weeks man dat aint not be nutin da ole lady got her ring back didn't she??? don't y'all white peepel it was because of slavery is why she dooo'd it not be aint not turn't da ring in..she was tramatized cause her ancestors were bought here as slaves is why she did dat...she's be innasent of all charges and we be protesting and marchin on her behalf?....huh??? what???? naw man i aint not even worried bout the black on black crime, teenage upwed pregnancy, or hi drop out rates of da black males cause that aint as importint as dis right hur cause dis is racism involved weee's got to get hur free din maybe, just maybe we will worry about crimes committed by black youths against one another and hi drop out rates, projects full of single unwed mothers having baby after baby by different men.....

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/11/13 - 11:32 am
To provide she is innocent

I am just to go out purchase 20 x $9000 diamond rings and lay them in parking lots for people to find.

Next I am going to buy some diamond ring seeds and plant them along side the restaurant parking lots and grow diamond rings.

All, so people can find diamond rings and honestly think no one lost a expensive diamond ring.

For the few that are buying the story that she did not think it was lost, I am sure you believe my plan will work also.

But in case you are a serious believer in finding $8,900 rings that aren't lost.

This is

Sarcasm

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/11/13 - 11:52 am
Also

My last comment of this subject.

Just about everyone knows this was all a staged play to gain public support by spoon feeding filtered facts.

Put on, hoping to garner public support to drop the charges, or a reduced sentence agreement, which will allow her to keep her from being dis-barred.

With all this said.
I feel she had a serious lapse in judgement and this likely should be a handled as a reduced agreed on Misdemeanor with 1 year probation, community service (250-500 hours of FREE Legal Services) and a fine to cover LEO investigation expenses and court time.

ALSO
I strongly recent the employed methods and step by step circus process used to garner public support. Despite the overtones, there is NOTHING Civil Rights about the incident. She is an Officer of the Court and must be held to a much higher standard, because her oath to uphold OCGA (GA Law).

Watermedic
Watermedic 03/11/13 - 11:53 am
Here is what I do not

Here is what I do not understand.

The owner of the ring was so worried according to the original story that she looked for it for 10 minutes! WOW!

I would have camped out looking for a $10,000 ring!

Also, she did not report it to the staff at Cracker Barrel. Why not?

Due diligence should also fall on the shoulders of the loser of said property not just the finder!!

I don't care what race, color or gender you are!

Jane18
Jane18 03/11/13 - 12:15 pm
Parking Lots?

Which ones, nocnoc??????????????

Darby
Darby 03/11/13 - 01:13 pm
"Also, she did not report it to the staff.....

at Cracker Barrel. Why not?"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear that I read in one of the follow-ups to this story that the owner did go back once she realized the ring was missing.

Did I imagine that??

David Parker
David Parker 03/11/13 - 03:15 pm
I'll admit that I'm the last

I'll admit that I'm the last person I would ask to interpret the laws, but it doesn't stop me from doing it on here for the sake of debate. The law is written clearly and if you argue that there is only one absolute conclusion to come to, i give you the following example:

I find a ring with a huge green gem on a gaudy setting, I'm probably not even going to pick it up b/c I assume it's fake. So what if I did and threw it in the ashtray of the car to give to my niece? When I see the ring on the tv and return it, should I be charged?

I read the law, consider the person's actions, then reason whether the law was broken or not. It's just the best system to use imho. Judging what is in people's heads is not that reliable, although some of the posters seem to think they are experts. HAH, The Mentalists!

Put it this way, if someone really really really wants to rob a bank, plans to rob a bank, eats-drinks-sleeps robbing banks, they haven't quite robbed a bank. Get it?

scoobynews
scoobynews 03/11/13 - 05:52 pm
Myfather they need you on the

Myfather they need you on the stand!! Great points!

Watermedic who cares how long you looked for something!!?? What did matter was how long the person who found it took to return it. Not to mention she only did it AFTER a video was posted with her mug on it.

specsta
specsta 03/11/13 - 06:48 pm
myfather15

So, because someone was careless enough to lose an expensive diamond ring (and the owner of the ring only spent 10 minutes looking for it, according to reports), we are to believe that expansive resources are to be pulled from the Sheriff's office to investigate a lost ring? That witnesses are to be interrogated, video surveillance pored over, photographs taken of the "crime" scene, etc.

Seriously?

So, if I lose my lucky gold tooth, I can expect the powers of the RCSO to investigate that loss like a gold brick from Ft. Knox had been misplaced?

myfather15
myfather15 03/11/13 - 08:16 pm
@specsta

So, now a person loses an item, and they are at fault for someone else appropriating property that doesn't belong to them? Yep, makes sense in the liberal world. The person that lost the item, it's their fault the person kept it, before making reasonable efforts to restore it to the rightful owner.

How exactly does it matter how long the woman looked for her ring? Please explain this to me, PLEASE!!! A woman finds a very expensive ring and does NOT turn it in to the proper authorities and it's HER fault because she only looked for it for 10 minutes? OMG!!

Also, you've got to absolutely love (a ton of sarcasm) Specsta's word games. I said interview the witnesses and waitresses, they said Interrogated. Interviewing the witnesses or waitress would take a total of about 10 minutes, especially if they haven't seen anything. Ok, here goes; Me="Maam, did you see anyone with a large diamond ring or hear about anyone losing one?" Her="No deputy I didn't see anyone or hear about it." Me="Do you have security cameras in the parking lot?" Her="Yes, we do". Wow, what a waste of time and resources, huh? That took absolutely FOREVER didn't it.

Expansive resources??? Believe it or not, I've responded to MANY of these calls over the years; usually it's ONE deputy that questions people and investigates. We aren't talking a murder here, it doesn't take a team specsta. Learn what you're talking about before blindly supporting someone who has committed a crime. You have zero clue how a Sheriff's Office is run or any other police agency, so don't attempt to sound intelligent when speaking about it. Lost property is a one unit call. I'm perfectly capable of handling and investigating a piece of lost property; don't need a team of investigators.

Oh, I must have forgot specsta, you're perfect and have never lost anything in your life. Well, I'm not and I've lost many things and some of them I would have given an arm or leg to have back; but never got them back. This is just another prime example of why we need God's judgement more than ever. People who don't have the decency to try and return LOST property, in which they KNOW doesn't belong to them; need God's full judgement. People like this are just another small example of why we can't have a peaceful world.

myfather15
myfather15 03/11/13 - 08:25 pm
I can't imagine living in the

I can't imagine living in the world through the eyes of someone like this. Believing America is founded on nothing but hatred; believing everyone is racist, bigots and extemists. Believing cops are just pulling people off the streets, beating them in the head with a telephone book, until they tell us everything they know. Interrogating those evil suspects; waterboarding a 23 year old male until he admits he killed Jimmy Hoffa and was the second shooter on the grassy knoll. I can't imagine the internal pain a person must live with, day in and day out, having this view of the world. Eventually, you've got to let the hatred go or it's going to consume you.

Watermedic
Watermedic 03/12/13 - 09:01 am
The point

The point of my post is that in my opinion, not yours. The charges are ill founded and will be dismissed.

Morally should she have turned it in, probably.

Legally should she have turned it in, I seriously dont think that is covered in the law here.

If she would have pawned or sold it yes, then it would be. BUT she didn't.

That is the bottom line. I know that I will get slammed for this but it is my opinion. I do not believe that a Grand Jury will indict her for this.

David Parker
David Parker 03/12/13 - 09:17 am
I agree Watermedic that it

I agree Watermedic that it will be dismissed. It's just my interpretation of the law. If I interpreted it inaccurately, oh well I'm still going fishing Sunday.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/12/13 - 02:38 pm
the article indicated she

the article indicated she KNEW THE RING WAS LOST BECAUSE SHE INDICATED THAT TO THE MANAGE IN CHARGE OF LOST AND FOUND!!!! she said she will reporti to rich cnty law enforcement-AND SHE DIDN'T..."oh lawdy-lawd...wee's comes to you fo alexis cause she dont kno why deese white fold messin wit hur..cause she aint not do wit deese white folk say....lawdy-lawd its da racism/racist cause she got some book-learnin and can read and rite guud dats all it is lawdy-lawd, and lawd fo dis service commin up ion sunnay please lawdy-lawd let doose who be goin to my chirch located in front of da projects (pick anyone) brings all wat dey hab so dey can pit in my collectin plate fo my lexus/bmw/caddie (pick on) cause i be needin a new suit soon...but i be promisin dem dat if dey give all dey can gib dat dey blessin will com down to dem....oh lawdy-lawd" this ladies and gentleman is the prayer of the so-called preachers in various chruches in augusta....meanwhile in areas around these churches black are slaughtering each other in a far more efficeint manner than the KKK could ever do and it is all done in plain sight!!!!!!!