Crime & Courts Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man charged with child abuse

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:54 AM
Last updated 3:14 PM

An Augusta man has been charged with child abuse in connection with punishing two boys for repeatedly misbehaving at school.

Keith Donell Scriven  SPECIAL
Keith Donell Scriven

Keith Donell Scriven, 35, was booked into the Richmond County jail Wednesday on two counts of first degree child abuse.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew, the children’s mother contacted Scriven on Feb. 28 about her sons misbehaving in school.

The boys, one of whom is Scriven’s son, stayed with him at his McElmurray Drive home over the weekend, which is when police said he spoke with them about their actions.

Chew said Scriven dropped the children off at school Monday and was called several hours later about the boys behavior.

According to an investigation, Scriven beat the boys with a belt as punishment.

Chew said the children’s mother, who does not live with Scriven, later took the boys to a hospital after she noticed bruises that doctors determined to be “cruel and excessive.” Police said the boys had bruises on their chests, backs and thighs and one had a cut near his eye.

Willow Bailey
Willow Bailey 03/06/13 - 01:43 pm
Nice parenting skills.

Nice parenting skills.

showboat 03/06/13 - 01:43 pm
Beat him also, with a wood

Beat him also, with a wood stick, let him feel the heat!!!

sugarbutton 03/06/13 - 01:50 pm
Let me just say

Why would you send them to baby daddy for reinforcement? Why isn't he in the home anyway? Maybe a little too late. I'm at lunch and had to post on this. I may have given "Daddy" come comeuppance between the time the boys went to hospital and he was arrested. OK< kids need discipline but I want to see the one who thinks leaving a mark on mind is alright.

MarinerMan 03/06/13 - 02:56 pm
Fine Upstanding Example

Fine upstanding example of one who can procreate, but should not have been allowed to do so. If baby mommy had been on birth control, this never would have happened. Of course, he beat one kid that was not even his own. Lock him up for a long time.

CobaltGeorge 03/07/13 - 08:02 am

The new definition of "Loving Parental Care". It so much better than what I remember back in the 40's & 50's.

harley_52 03/07/13 - 06:00 pm
I Wish...

...I had a dollar for every time my dad, or one of my teachers, left a mark on me for something I had done wrong. My dad used a belt on me and some of my siblings when he believed it was necessary. It really wasn't necessary all that often, pretty much because we knew what was coming if we behaved badly enough to get him involved.

I realize it's not politically correct to spank your kids anymore, but I view that reality as being part of the problem. Some kids need to be spanked sometimes, some more than others.

One of the reasons parental discipline is so ineffective these days is that some parents are not willing to spank a child who can run to the police, get them arrested, and then go find a lawyer to sue mommy and daddy.

AU professor doing research on Gulf War health disparities
An Augusta University professor is being funded to do research on the health disparities of female veterans involved in the first Gulf War compared to their male counterparts.